Chicago Mayor Sues Kia and Automakers

Bigbrog

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

Is the mayor also suing all the car companies who've designed their cars in such a way that its easy to steal the catalytic converter?

That's the next logical step for sure.   Need to put a lock box around the CC. 

mspart

16 minutes ago, mspart said:

Where in the article does it say they are prosecuting the car thieves?   I may have missed that part, feel free to point out where that is for me.  Thanks in advance buddy. 

mspart

Thanks, you helped a lot. As usual you add no substance and can't even answer where you have drawn your conclusion from.

6 minutes ago, mspart said:

That's the next logical step for sure.   Need to put a lock box around the CC. 

mspart

Will the mayor be suing Trek and other bike manufacturers because they don't come with a key fob type mechanism to lock out the chain ring?   If you bike is stolen the police might come and get you information but they are not going to look for your bike, if it just happens to show up they might let you know.

The guy I know visiting St Louis and Hyundai stolen was treated like a bike, police collected info but too busy to look for it.  He just happened to be out with a friend and saw it.  But shops too busy in STL to work on it so had to have towed back to KC.  Would've been better if hadn't found it as payout from Hyundai was higher if not recovered and no tow plus insurance process quicker.  Hard dealing with not have your car for a month or two and need to get to work run errands etc.

Does the mayor of Chicago even need a car?

45 minutes ago, ionel said:

Go back and re-read my post (I just did) there is no "car company" in my post.  

Synonyms
  • auto maker.
  • auto manufacturer.
  • automaker.
  • car maker.
  • carmaker

Help me out, I must be going blind, can't see any.

29 minutes ago, ionel said:

Is the mayor also suing all the car companies who've designed their cars in such a way that its easy to steal the catalytic converter?

If they lie about having designs to prevent catalytic converts, then sure.

It isn't a crime to make a crappy car, but it may be a crime to say you made a car with features it did not have.

You guys act like only car companies are being pursued because you read one article that was only about car companies being pursued. And you want to pretend that it is about car design, when it is about lying about car design.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

8 minutes ago, mspart said:

Hi buddy,  What substance have you added to this conversation?

mspart

I asked you a simple question based on your conclusion from possibly reading the exact same article. You have no proof for your conclusion other than what Fox News tells you that Chicago is bad and ran by corrupt Demoncrats. 

Tell me when you can answer where you got your conclusion from. I'm still waiting.

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

It isn't a crime to make a crappy car, but it may be a crime to say you made a car with features it did not have.

You guys act like only car companies are being pursued because you read one article that was only about car companies being pursued. And you want to pretend that it is about car design, when it is about lying about car design.

So why is that a mayor city of Chicago issue.  I get the Fed thing as per the VW diesel issue.  Can any small town also sue?

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It isn't a crime to steal a car.   Apparently.   WKN - That is what you are saying, intended or not.   Who cares about the people who owned the car.   The car company is at fault if it gets stolen.   And of course the person who stole the car is not at fault, just couldn't help himself.   It was ripe for the taking, he just counldn't resist the urge to steal that car.   Dang, I'm guessing car thievery would go down if car thievery laws were enforced.   But I live in a dream world where criminal law means nothing anymore but I wish it did.

mspart

10 minutes ago, ionel said:

So why is that a mayor city of Chicago issue.  I get the Fed thing as per the VW diesel issue.  Can any small town also sue?

My guess is the small towns haven't seen the spike in car thefts of the specific cars like Chicago has. I wouldn't be surprised if more cities join in on this lawsuit.

9 minutes ago, mspart said:

It isn't a crime to steal a car.   Apparently.   WKN - That is what you are saying, intended or not.   Who cares about the people who owned the car.   The car company is at fault if it gets stolen.   And of course the person who stole the car is not at fault, just couldn't help himself.   It was ripe for the taking, he just counldn't resist the urge to steal that car.   Dang, I'm guessing car thievery would go down if car thievery laws were enforced.   But I live in a dream world where criminal law means nothing anymore but I wish it did.

mspart

Wow, amazing analytics from you once again.

1 minute ago, BobDole said:

I asked you a simple question based on your conclusion from possibly reading the exact same article. You have no proof for your conclusion other than what Fox News tells you that Chicago is bad and ran by corrupt Demoncrats. 

Tell me when you can answer where you got your conclusion from. I'm still waiting.

I asked you a simple question in return, for which you have not provided an answer.   Indeed, you have added  nothing to the conversation, and pecadillo you so readily accuse me of. 

You are in the position of rationalizing the stealing of cars because of what or wasn't written in a single article is the only answer possible.   I know you've been dead for quite some time, but you seem fairly well versed in modern politics.   To deny that cities are condoning more crime in the name of racial justice, inclusiveness, and equity is a lie that is on everyone's mouths these days. 

I only condemn democrats because they have run these cities, like Chicago, for decades and now find that they cannot provide the security and safety for their citizens anymore because they lack the will to incarcerate the perps.  It is that simple.   I don't need Fox news to tell me that, I can see it in Seattle any day of the week.  

Just to help you out, Chicago mayor said this the other day regarding the teen mob violence in the city:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/04/chicago-mayor-slams-reporter-for-calling-riots-mob-actions/

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson reportedly snapped at a reporter for calling young rioters a “mob,” insisting they were just “large gatherings” — and that labeling the riots “mob actions” was inappropriate.

“That’s not appropriate,” the newly minted mayor said in response to a reporter’s question about trends like “mob actions” the city has endured.

“We’re not talking about mob actions. I didn’t say that,” Johnson barked back. “These large gatherings … it’s important that we speak of these dynamics in an appropriate way.”

Hundreds of rioters flooded Chicago’s South Loop late Sunday, when teens took over the area for the second time in just a few days — and looted a local convenience store, Fox News Digital reported.

The Chicago Police Department charged 40 “disorderly” people – 32 who were teens – with misdemeanors, for allegedly fighting, damaging vehicles, smashing a window and trying to loot a nearby store, according to the report.

You won't find the above in the article but does that make it any less relevant.   You want to look at one item and pull infinite truth from it.   Where did the mayor say he is not pursuing car thieves you ask me.   I ask you where in that article does he say he is.   You say I'm dumb for not answering your question while you refuse to answer mine.   It is a game not worth playing Bob, and who knows how long you will be allowed to continue to post on here before the Almighty puts a stop to it for you.  

Bob you have an example above of a mob action that the mayor does not want to call a mob action.   People, teens, were arrested for all kinds of property damage and thievery, yet we must be careful in what we call these people.   It was a large gathering is all.   If you read the article you will see that guns were also present, in a city which has essentially outlawed guns for most.   The mayor should have come down on this crowd will all power at his disposal so as to dissuade it from happening again, and do it again and again with real consequences to stop the behavior.  

We have allowed this to go on for far too long.   I'm concerned that it is endemic to big city civilization.   Crime has always been part of the mix, but the brazen way in which it is now happening is a new phenomenon and is ridiculous.   Excusing it will not make it go away and the social compact between city and resident has been broken.   If you like that, then good.   I do not. 

mspart

15 minutes ago, BobDole said:

My guess is the small towns haven't seen the spike in car thefts of the specific cars like Chicago has. I wouldn't be surprised if more cities join in on this lawsuit.

So what's the Kia/Hyundai theft rate in Chicago?  If one car were stolen in a town of 1,500 population would that be enough to sue?  What if two in your hometown of Russel?

4 minutes ago, mspart said:

I asked you a simple question in return, for which you have not provided an answer.   Indeed, you have added  nothing to the conversation, and pecadillo you so readily accuse me of. 

Answering a question with a question, that's genius!

4 minutes ago, mspart said:

You are in the position of rationalizing the stealing of cars because of what or wasn't written in a single article is the only answer possible.   I know you've been dead for quite some time, but you seem fairly well versed in modern politics.   To deny that cities are condoning more crime in the name of racial justice, inclusiveness, and equity is a lie that is on everyone's mouths these days. 

Where did I rationalize car theft from that question? You continue to make things up in your brain.

7 minutes ago, mspart said:

I only condemn democrats because they have run these cities, like Chicago, for decades and now find that they cannot provide the security and safety for their citizens anymore because they lack the will to incarcerate the perps.  It is that simple.   I don't need Fox news to tell me that, I can see it in Seattle any day of the week.  

Just to help you out, Chicago mayor said this the other day regarding the teen mob violence in the city:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/04/chicago-mayor-slams-reporter-for-calling-riots-mob-actions/

Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson reportedly snapped at a reporter for calling young rioters a “mob,” insisting they were just “large gatherings” — and that labeling the riots “mob actions” was inappropriate.

“That’s not appropriate,” the newly minted mayor said in response to a reporter’s question about trends like “mob actions” the city has endured.

“We’re not talking about mob actions. I didn’t say that,” Johnson barked back. “These large gatherings … it’s important that we speak of these dynamics in an appropriate way.”

Hundreds of rioters flooded Chicago’s South Loop late Sunday, when teens took over the area for the second time in just a few days — and looted a local convenience store, Fox News Digital reported.

The Chicago Police Department charged 40 “disorderly” people – 32 who were teens – with misdemeanors, for allegedly fighting, damaging vehicles, smashing a window and trying to loot a nearby store, according to the report.

Another copy and paste from Fox News. Wahoo, good job. I am glad you have mastered copy and paste. Now master reading.

9 minutes ago, mspart said:

You won't find the above in the article but does that make it any less relevant.   You want to look at one item and pull infinite truth from it.   Where did the mayor say he is not pursuing car thieves you ask me.   I ask you where in that article does he say he is.   You say I'm dumb for not answering your question while you refuse to answer mine.   It is a game not worth playing Bob, and who knows how long you will be allowed to continue to post on here before the Almighty puts a stop to it for you.  

The first article linked was about a lawsuit against car manufacturers. It had NOTHING to do with prosecuting car thieves AT ALL!  Nothing from the original article can be said on the prosecution of car thieves other than what you have made up in your loony head.

10 minutes ago, mspart said:

Bob you have an example above of a mob action that the mayor does not want to call a mob action.   People, teens, were arrested for all kinds of property damage and thievery, yet we must be careful in what we call these people.   It was a large gathering is all.   If you read the article you will see that guns were also present, in a city which has essentially outlawed guns for most.   The mayor should have come down on this crowd will all power at his disposal so as to dissuade it from happening again, and do it again and again with real consequences to stop the behavior.  

We have allowed this to go on for far too long.   I'm concerned that it is endemic to big city civilization.   Crime has always been part of the mix, but the brazen way in which it is now happening is a new phenomenon and is ridiculous.   Excusing it will not make it go away and the social compact between city and resident has been broken.   If you like that, then good.   I do not. 

mspart

That has nothing to do with the topic, way to waste people's time

1 minute ago, ionel said:

So what's the Kia/Hyundai theft rate in Chicago?  If one car were stolen in a town of 1,500 population would that be enough to sue?  What if two in your hometown of Russel?

That is up to the town whether they want to join in on the lawsuit. It's not my specialty on what would be the number to jump in on it.

If other cities feel this is something they can do they will jump in on it. It's the same as any class action lawsuit.

Bob you're type of reasoning is the leading cause of not reading between the lines, picking up social clues, and understand one's surroundings I can think of.  You display it above very well. 

If you have a point other than to badger me, please feel free to make it.  But if this is just a mission to badger me, it is a shallow endeavor and equally a waste of people's time. 

mspart

Edited by mspart
  • Fire 1

35 minutes ago, ionel said:

I don't even know if Chicago can sue. A judge may decide they do not have standing since they do not own the cars that got stolen. Chicago will argue that the incremental cost of law enforcement (the thing you all want), or some such, gives them standing. We will see what a judge decides.

37 minutes ago, mspart said:

mspart

Not at all what I am saying. Fault is not binary. Fault can be assigned for multiple elements of a crime. Stop pretending that suing a car company stops the city from going after car thieves. You know that is not true and you know no such claim is made in that article or any place else.  Your logic is just so flawed. And your willingness to jump to ludicrous conclusions based on your flawed logic is regrettable.

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

the city from going after car thieves. 

So do you know (have evidence, maybe a data table) if they are going after car thieves?  My observation of one in St Loius would say no at that local, but yes pretty thin data.

Edited by ionel

6 minutes ago, mspart said:

You mean they are actually going after car thieves.   Where did you get that idea?

mspart

My sarcastic answer to your sarcastic queation is, the fact that they have a police force for starters.

Also I have a friend who got his car stolen in Chicago. The police recovered it and returned it to him three days later.

This crime is allowed narrative you and a few others have fallen in love with is so unbelievably stupid.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

yes, it is different to you. one is a democrat and two are republicans. so dumb.

Republican or democrat has nothing to do with it.  How you can see a similarity between this frivolous suit on one hand and guarding against child grooming or protecting fiduciary responsibility on the other is inconceivable.  Both of the cases you mentioned are the result of a groundswell of public pressure for the action.  I don’t think there is anything like that in support of the mayor.