125kg @ 2023 Worlds

peanut

9 hours ago, nhs67 said:

When the article was first released it had Steveson and Parris both listed.  Now it just has Davison.

My hope is that Davison is in fact going, but as Parris's training partner and that Parris is actually the guy going.

Even as an avid Parris fan I know that is a serious downgrade from Steveson, as it were.

Where are you seeing an updated list?

22 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Per this UWW entry list... Lucas Davison is our 125 KG rep as of right now.

https://uww.org/article/freestyle-entries-released-2023-world-championships

125kg
Dzianis KHRAMIANKOU (AIN)
Paris KAREPI (ALB)
Catriel MURIEL (ARG)
Johannes LUDESCHER (AUT)
Giorgi MESHVILDISHVILI (AZE)
Islam ADIZOV (BUL)
Bali SOU (CAM)
Zhiwei DENG (CHN)
Diaaeldin ABDELMOTTALEB (EGY)
Jose CUBA (ESP)
Geno PETRIASHVILI (GEO)
Gennadij CUDINOVIC (GER)
Daniel LIGETI (HUN)
SUMIT (IND)
Amir Hossein ZARE (IRI)
Abraham CONYEDO (ITA)
Aaron JOHNSON (JAM)
Taiki YAMAMOTO (JPN)
Yusup BATIRMURZAEV (KAZ)
Joel TUKAI (KEN)
Aiaal LAZAREV (KGZ)
Donghwan KIM (KOR)
Eduardo GARCIA (MEX)
Lkhagvagerel MUNKHTUR (MGL)
Robert BARAN (POL)
Jonovan SMITH (PUR)
Magomedgadzhi NURASULOV (SRB)
Oma SAREM (SYR)
Zyyamuhammet SAPAROV (TKM)
Taha AKGUL (TUR)
Oleksandr KHOTSIANIVSKYI (UKR)
Lucas DAVISON (USA)
Sardorbek KHOLMATOV (UZB)
Jose DIAZ (VEN)

@ILLINIWrestlingBlog

The link is at the beginning of this for entries.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Imagine if(when?) he wins gold how silly that makes the rest of the wrestling world look.

He got sonned by Steveson... again.  Three times this year.

And Steveson hasn't been actually wrestling competitively.

The biggest baddest wrestling man on the planet (weight classes exist for a reason) isn't even the best wrestler.

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Imagine if(when?) he wins gold how silly that makes the rest of the wrestling world look.

He got sonned by Steveson... again.  Three times this year.

And Steveson hasn't been actually wrestling competitively.

The biggest baddest wrestling man on the planet (weight classes exist for a reason) isn't even the best wrestler.

I'd love to see Parris (or whomever our rep is) win worlds; but I have to wonder if Parris is even top 3 in Iran, let alone the entire planet.

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I'd love to see Parris (or whomever our rep is) win worlds; but I have to wonder if Parris is even top 3 in Iran, let alone the entire planet.

It’s a stretch, but not a super crazy stretch, to say top 2 in Iran are among the top 4 in the world. 

i am an idiot on the internet

21 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

He also decked Zare while winning last time they wrestled a few years back.

To assume Zare is the only one who has been improving would be a farce.

14 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

It’s a stretch, but not a super crazy stretch, to say top 2 in Iran are among the top 4 in the world. 

Definitely not crazy if you factor in that Steveson hasn't wrestled a competitive match internationally since the 2020(1) Oly games.  Ergo he isn't an active international wrestler.

35 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He also decked Zare while winning last time they wrestled a few years back.

To assume Zare is the only one who has been improving would be a farce.

I certainly don't assume that, but Zare is allegedly younger (theoretically allowing him greater improvements).  Also, how many wins has Zare had over top 3 guys since then?  How many does Mason have?

(Believe me, I want another Mason WBF)

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I certainly don't assume that, but Zare is allegedly younger (theoretically allowing him greater improvements).  Also, how many wins has Zare had over top 3 guys since then?  How many does Mason have?

(Believe me, I want another Mason WBF)

I am with you and I agree... I just don't want to dismiss Mason as a legit thread yet.  I don't see anything that Zare does that Mason shouldn't be able to physically handle.  He is bigger, faster, and stronger than last time - same as Zare.

• Fire 3

Word on the street is crazy. People I know and trust have kept this quiet, now they won’t answer or are giving conflicting answers.

I have heard everything from HEW to significant injury to WWE sinking their teeth into their investment with heavy contention. At the end of the day it sucks and is confusing but it is settled either way. I hope Parris has had a proper training regimen for his sake.

I’ll give two kudos: one to the group that kept it quiet for the sake of sticking by their guy and not doing them dirty, and another to our resident Michigan Man for opening the floodgates yesterday. 

Gable officially out of World's. Disappointing but not surprising.

Parris had an excellent showing at the recent rankings tournament and I think is a legit medal contender. He will likely get a crack at least one of the big three (Akgul, Zare, Petriashvili).

PNWfan

Unless there is an injury, I find this weird.   Gable had to get WWE permission, I assume, to train and go to US Nationals and then Final X.   So then why the pull out at kind of the last minute?   Injury?  At least injury would be acceptable as an excuse.   Some contract thing with WWE?   Inexcusable. 

mspart

I have no problem with Steveson being done with wrestling - he owes us nothing. But, for the interests of Team USA, I want him to be either "in" or "out". Because, as good as Steveson is, can he really beat the best in the world if he is giving half effort? Would be amazing to find out, but I'd rather send an "all in" Parris or someone else.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

17 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

I have no problem with Steveson being done with wrestling - he owes us nothing. But, for the interests of Team USA, I want him to be either "in" or "out". Because, as good as Steveson is, can he really beat the best in the world if he is giving half effort? Would be amazing to find out, but I'd rather send an "all in" Parris or someone else.

Hopefully Passis is "all in," and is mentally and physically ready to do damage.  I'm sure this isn't a surprise to many of us on the board, and I heard rumblings of it a month or so ago.  When did Parris find out?

I mean, we did include Gable as an entry.  I thought it was odd, but telling,  that we also included Parris.  I understand the whole "training partners are on the list,' I just thought Parris was on odd choice of training partner.

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Word on the street is crazy. People I know and trust have kept this quiet, now they won’t answer or are giving conflicting answers.

I have heard everything from HEW to significant injury to WWE sinking their teeth into their investment with heavy contention. At the end of the day it sucks and is confusing but it is settled either way. I hope Parris has had a proper training regimen for his sake.

I’ll give two kudos: one to the group that kept it quiet for the sake of sticking by their guy and not doing them dirty, and another to our resident Michigan Man for opening the floodgates yesterday. 

Mason 'Gableson' Parris was at all the Team USA camps and has been going non-stop.  He will be fine.

8 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Mason 'Gableson' Parris was at all the Team USA camps and has been going non-stop.  He will be fine.

Parris wrestled at the ranking series tournament recently and took 1st place. USA Wrestling and Parris himself have been preparing for this possibility for well over a month. Preparation will not be an issue.

PNWfan

12 minutes ago, PNWfan said:

Parris wrestled at the ranking series tournament recently and took 1st place. USA Wrestling and Parris himself have been preparing for this possibility for well over a month. Preparation will not be an issue.

That is what I said.  I also said that.

26 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

That is what I said.  I also said that.

You didn't say anything before even though you knew! As a proud homeowner in Ottawa County, I feel betrayed by my fellow Michigan Man with regards to my favorite weight class. The Budapest participation is more obvious in hindsight but the omission stings nonetheless.

But seriously, how hard was it to not be able to say anything?

52 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

You didn't say anything before even though you knew! As a proud homeowner in Ottawa County, I feel betrayed by my fellow Michigan Man with regards to my favorite weight class. The Budapest participation is more obvious in hindsight but the omission stings nonetheless.

But seriously, how hard was it to not be able to say anything?

Ottawa County?  Nice.  I frequent the shores on your end of the state as often as I can.  One of my kiddos lives in the Grand Rapids area.

It is difficult when you actually know things.  My boy did tell me that Parris was keeping fresh in case the WWE did not allow him to go.  I am happy that Parris was able to face Gwiazdowski and beat him at OTT so there was no doubt as to who should have been the rep to go.

When I saw Davison listed I texted damn near everybody I knew in and around the program still to ask if Parris got the nod and got injured so the only one ready was Davison and basically all of them did say 'Parris is fine and good to go' more or less.  Almost scripted, so it does make sense now.

I feel for Steveson.  You never leave wrestling after you are done.  It isn't as port or a game, it's a way of life and a mentality that you don't escape - ever.  You always have that itch.  Hell... I am far above the 61 KG back in the day... depending on the day it's 70 KG or 74 KG... but whenever I see some of these older guys giving it a go... I want to as well.

A very strange turn of events.  Really hard to read what's going on with Steveson.  In spite of his dominance over Parris, I'd actually like to see him USE his talent while still in his prime, and rack up as many championships as he can.

But Parris is in great condition, near the top of his game, hungry, and will definitely be under the radar at Worlds.  If he manages to win gold in Serbia, and he's certainly capable of doing so, it will add all the more intrigue for next year's Olympics.

• Fire 1