2023 Junior Worlds

32 minutes ago, denger said:

Does anyone know what's up with Kennedy Blades? She was heaving into a trash can 90 seconds into her quarterfinal, then got completely thrashed in the semis. 

She had a huge battle with Moro in the quarters  Barely escaped that one with a win because she was completely gassed at the end of that match.

21 hours ago, Le duke said:

This Russian 61kg kid is embarrassing. I’ve never seen a more blatant effort to stall and lengthen a match to recover. It’s pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Paul158 said:

That was bad.  Very surprising.

I watched that match after Bouzakis won his bronze medal match... it definitely looked like Akhmadudinov took a page out of Musakaev's (Hungary by way of Russia) playbook on getting an extended lung time-out at every turn.

The first period was all the Russian's until he started his antics toward the end of the period. I just said that was what Mohit needed to see. The Indian pushed the pace in the 2nd. (Even surviving a last gasp 2pts by the Russian in the last 15 seconds... he didn't have the gas to even try a turn in the end. Mohit nabbed the gold.)

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

12 hours ago, CA_Wrestler said:

She had a huge battle with Moro in the quarters  Barely escaped that one with a win because she was completely gassed at the end of that match.

At 4:12 (1:48 into that Moro match) Blades fended off a front headlock as they went out of bounds, then rolled over looking less-than-conscious with her left shoulder limp and under her back. She heaved into a trashcan for a minute and made her way back to center after almost two minutes. She was on her hands and knees for the 30 second break too. 

Could have been choked out in the front head, but that doesn't necessarily explain the trashcan. 

21 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

Akhmadudinov took a page out of Musakaev's (Hungary by way of Russia)

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere...Are there more Russian's emigrating and competing for Western countries than usual? France's rosters caught my eye the last couple weeks. 

image.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 9.06.14 AM.png

48 minutes ago, denger said:

At 4:12 (1:48 into that Moro match) Blades fended off a front headlock as they went out of bounds, then rolled over looking less-than-conscious with her left shoulder limp and under her back. She heaved into a trashcan for a minute and made her way back to center after almost two minutes. She was on her hands and knees for the 30 second break too. 

Could have been choked out in the front head, but that doesn't necessarily explain the trashcan. 

I caught the match starting about where Moro got to her leg for the td.  Good explanation

1 hour ago, D3 for LU said:

I watched that match after Bouzakis won his bronze medal match... it definitely looked like Akhmadudinov took a page out of Musakaev's (Hungary by way of Russia) playbook on getting an extended lung time-out at every turn.

The first period was all the Russian's until he started his antics toward the end of the period. I just said that was what Mohit needed to see. The Indian pushed the pace in the 2nd. (Even surviving a last gasp 2pts by the Russian in the last 15 seconds... he didn't have the gas to even try a turn in the end. Mohit nabbed the gold.)

D3

Ahhh, curse my memory from yesterday.

Re-watched that finals match @ 61Kg... Akamadudinov got his last points via a challenge (that he won.)

Didn't help much since he was spent anyway. 

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1 hour ago, denger said:

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere...Are there more Russian's emigrating and competing for Western countries than usual? France's rosters caught my eye the last couple weeks. 

image.png

Screen Shot 2023-08-17 at 9.06.14 AM.png

What the hey!

They can't get on the team via Russian nationals, so the spin the Wheel of New Countries to Wrestle For and try their luck elsewhere. 😏

D3

2 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

What the hey!

They can't get on the team via Russian nationals, so the spin the Wheel of New Countries to Wrestle For and try their luck elsewhere. 😏

D3

There are a handful of Americans doing something similar.🤔

I'm curious about whether it's happening more with Russians given the recent challenges

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

France has steadily been building a roster full of ev’s and ov’s over the last few years. 

Excuse my ignorance - I assume those abbreviations are related to visas?

France just seems like an unlikely destination for a Russian wrestler, geographically at least.  

21 minutes ago, denger said:

Dang, I was prepared to feel stupid, now I'm delighted by why I'm stupid!

nah....I noticed it awhile back talking to a buddy who's currenlty in the international scene, brought it up, noticed an uptick over last couple years.   Pipeline through the coach or something like that can't remember exactly what it is.

• Fire 1

Was this a surprising underperformance by the Japanese Women? Only two finalists: One champ, one silver, three bronze .

India's three champs, one silver, three bronze wins it.

USA came up 3rd. Elor is obviously an a different level - It's just a little surprising that she's still competing in Juniors...why not travel and whoop on girls her age? Blades looked like she was sick, but I don't know if better health would have made a difference against the eventual champ from India who shut out all of her opponents. Janiak was a 5-second brain fart from the finals. Jones gutted out a Bronze. Jimenez looked pretty solid through the semis, then got stuck by China, who teched or pinned her way through the tournament. 

9 minutes ago, denger said:

Elor is obviously an a different level - It's just a little surprising that she's still competing in Juniors...why not travel and whoop on girls her age?

She's won Gold at every age group. Cadet, Junior and Senior.

Blades and everyone else was sick. The hotel in Amaan tried to kill everyone...

1 hour ago, MPhillips said:

She's won Gold at every age group. Cadet, Junior and Senior.

Blades and everyone else was sick. The hotel in Amaan tried to kill everyone...

Calling it now.  Elor, if she can stay healthy, will be recognized as the greatest woman, or maybe regardless of gender, wrestler in US History.  Given her age, and her accolades to-date, she has MANY years of absolute domination ahead of her.  I will be very curious which direction, weight-wise, she chooses for the OLY cycle.  Has this been made public yet?  I simply cannot fathom, at this point, anyone being able to compete with her, even at 76kg.  

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, denger said:

Was this a surprising underperformance by the Japanese Women? Only two finalists: One champ, one silver, three bronze .

India's three champs, one silver, three bronze wins it.

USA came up 3rd. Elor is obviously an a different level - It's just a little surprising that she's still competing in Juniors...why not travel and whoop on girls her age? Blades looked like she was sick, but I don't know if better health would have made a difference against the eventual champ from India who shut out all of her opponents. Janiak was a 5-second brain fart from the finals. Jones gutted out a Bronze. Jimenez looked pretty solid through the semis, then got stuck by China, who teched or pinned her way through the tournament. 

It was an enormous underperformance by Japan's team and our team still couldn't win...

The main thing to remember is that Japan's team is comprised of wrestlers would normally not be there.  They'd be filled with the much better competitors at most of the weights, but the better wrestlers chose to compete for the 2023 World Championships Olympic and non-Olympic weights for seniors instead.  The only two who did compete in juniors that lost in Japan's national tournament were Moe Kiyooka and Ayano Moro.  Kiyooka made on TINY mistake and got pinned in the semis.  Was definitely the favorite to win gold for sure.

• Fire 1

Had to go into a meeting, so I wasn't able to finish above.

Kiyooka lost to Okuno in the 55kg World team playoffs recently(Kiyooka also got teched by Fujinami in the Meiji Cup finals so Kiyooka had to bump up to 55kg), so that's why she had to compete in Juniors.  She'll only be able to compete in U23 as well this year.  Moro lost to Kagami in the 76kg playoff match and is in the same boat as Kiyooka as far as U23 goes.

You've got to give a lot of credit to India and their age group womens teams.  As I've said plenty of previous times, their age group womens wrestling has tremendously improved, but that hasn't translated over to the senior level.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, treep2000 said:

Calling it now.  Elor, if she can stay healthy, will be recognized as the greatest woman, or maybe regardless of gender, wrestler in US History.  Given her age, and her accolades to-date, she has MANY years of absolute domination ahead of her.  I will be very curious which direction, weight-wise, she chooses for the OLY cycle.  Has this been made public yet?  I simply cannot fathom, at this point, anyone being able to compete with her, even at 76kg.  

This is why I wanted to see her actually challenge for the 68kg or 76kg spot rather than go win another 72kg title with really watered down international competition.  We all know that the better wrestlers from other countries dropped to 68 or bumped up to 76 to try and secure an Olympic weight spot.

Edited by CA_Wrestler