USC.UCLA,OREGON,and Washington All in the Big Ten. Any chance they restart their wrestling programs.

Paul158

I apologize in advance for this post, but...

Instead of USC, UCLA, Washington or Oregon adding wrestling, is there a chance Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, or anyone else drops wrestling?

Prior to the addition of four non-wrestling schools this probably would have been unheard of, but now that 22% of the Big Ten does not sponsor wrestling who would notice if it went to 28%?

I will now accept suggestions for my penance.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

34 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Instead of USC, UCLA, Washington or Oregon adding wrestling, is there a chance Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, Illinois, or anyone else drops wrestling?

Prior to the addition of four non-wrestling schools this probably would have been unheard of, but now that 22% of the Big Ten does not sponsor wrestling who would notice if it went to 28%?

You are here by sentenced to be Kamala Harris's  communication's  advisory until further notice.

• Fire 1

Every time conference realignment comes up:

Everybody else outside of wrestling: Silence

Wrestling Community:  Maybe this new school will add wrestling. This could be great, just think if "X" was the coach

Everybody else: Still silence

Wrestling community: but maybe?

Everybody else: And dilute all of this new money on a non revenue generating sport, why?

/end scene.

Until another school gets added to the B1G or B12, then repeat. 

2 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Wrestling Community:  Maybe this new school will add wrestling. This could be great, just think if "X" was the coach

Everybody else: And dilute all of this new money on a non revenue generating sport, why?

/end scene.

Don't forget what social media adds to the conversation. You get some football-minded neanderthal spouting off about "how much money you bring in" as they're responsible for sitting on that pedestal. It's frustrating as a fan of numerous college sports (primarily wrestling and hockey), where the uninformed football fan sits. They hang on that "no one's paying to watch swimming" type of response ... I just want to scream. Just because you like the most popular spectator sports doesn't mean there isn't a value to the school. A revenue stream isn't what dictates fanhood. Probably preaching to the choir here. 

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

2 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

/end scene.

All sports outside of men's football and men's basketball are non-revenue with very few exceptions.

4 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Football's "revenue" generating, but not necessarily profitable many places. If anyone's an accountant here, they'll know college athletics budgets defy logic when it comes to general accounting principles. 

I agree . It looks like a large college stadium ( 90k) would be a 1 billion dollars or more to build. Ohio State football budget is 70 million dollars. So football is very expensive. Have  you read or heard about what Greg Hatcher is doing in Arkansas? Its an amazing story.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I agree . It looks like a large college stadium ( 90k) would be a 1 billion dollars or more to build. Ohio State football budget is 70 million dollars. So football is very expensive. Have  you read or heard about what Greg Hatcher is doing in Arkansas? Its an amazing story.

Greg hustles. For those who don't know, he's not just some guy who's got billions of dollars and just cuts checks. He works for everything he contributes. Yes, he's an amazing dude for sure. 

• Fire 3

Insert catchy tagline here. 

8 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Greg hustles. For those who don't know, he's not just some guy who's got billions of dollars and just cuts checks. He works for everything he contributes. Yes, he's an amazing dude for sure. 

My son was part of first wrestling team at Quachita Baptist college. The first college program he helped start. Yes Greg has a real passion for the sport.

• Fire 2

On 8/6/2023 at 3:15 PM, CraigOR said:

From what I understand Save Oregon Wrestling, in it's heyday following the dropping of the program were fundraising to bring it back.  Those conversations fell on deaf ears, then they branched out to give scholly $ to kids that wrestle at other programs.

https://saveoregonwrestling.org/

When they floated the idea of bringing back the program, the Oregon administration put out a $75 million endowment figure on what it would take to consider bringing back the program.  As one person put it, it was basically a "kiss off" gesture.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2015/10/goe_the_university_of_oregon_t.html

• Fire 1

12 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

drink 5 Bud Lights then edit your post.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Sheerstress said:

When they floated the idea of bringing back the program, the Oregon administration put out a $75 million endowment figure on what it would take to consider bringing back the program.  As one person put it, it was basically a "kiss off" gesture.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2015/10/goe_the_university_of_oregon_t.html

do the math, that's about what it takes

• Fire 1