Election and Jan 6 charges

4 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I believe we are down to about 6 or 7 states that actually decide a Presidential election. 

And, as I'm sure that you know, this will continue to be a fluid situation, as Americans continue to migrate in and out of states.

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

6 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

What amazes me is how so many gullibly accept that biden, without campaigning, accrued millions and millions more votes than Obama had.  

2020 saw, by far, a larger total turnout and larger % of eligible voters than any previous election. (30.4 million total voters and 9% higher eligible than when Obama was re-elected for example)  It's almost as if there was someone motivating those to turn out.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

And, as I'm sure that you know, this will continue to be a fluid situation, as Americans continue to migrate in and out of states.

Fair enough. Like I said there are states that are doing a really good job. Maybe they can advise the other states. There is no excuse to take a week or more for results. 

3 minutes ago, Offthemat said:

It’s almost as if someone thought that they didn’t need to campaign, similar to hiliary in 2016 when she couldn’t believe she’d lost.  

One noticeable difference in what was going on around the country between 2016 and 2020...you may have noticed.

Sometimes I think Sean Hannity has an account here...

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

So how do you propose instituting that?

Like I said there are states doing a really good job. They should be advisors to other states. Just implement the same procedures that are working for the states that are doing a really good job.In the 25 years I coached multiple sports that is exactly what I did. It worked.

6 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Like I said there are states doing a really good job. They should be advisors to other states. Just implement the same procedures that are working for the states that are doing a really good job.In the 25 years I coached multiple sports that is exactly what I did. It worked.

Not all 50 states are the same.  Huge huge variances. 

I'm sure in those 25 years you also learned that what works in some sports, didn't work in others.  

2 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Not all 50 states are the same.  Huge huge variances. 

I'm sure in those 25 years you also learned that what works in some sports, didn't work in others.  

Just make it mandatory. The states will figure out if they want their votes counted. It is isn't rocket science. We aren't going to Mars. Its really just a matter of change. You said you are in athletics. If what you are doing isn't working you have to change. States will figure it out. Sorry. I just think it is important to do things timely and accurately when it comes to elections. I apologize if I'm  going overboard.

1 minute ago, Paul158 said:

Just make it mandatory. The states will figure out if they want their votes counted. It is isn't rocket science. We aren't going to Mars. Its really just a matter of change. You said you are in athletics. If what you are doing isn't working you have to change. States will figure it out. Sorry. I just think it is important to do things timely and accurately when it comes to elections. I apologize if I'm  going overboard.

My point is, guys like you and I have absolutely no idea what it takes to administer a presidential election.....state by state......I have to think it's a lot more complex than we imagine.  It's real easy to sit on our couch and say I don't like it, change it, it can't be hard.

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

My point is, guys like you and I have absolutely no idea what it takes to administer a presidential election.....state by state......I have to think it's a lot more complex than we imagine.  It's real easy to sit on our couch and say I don't like it, change it, it can't be hard.

Ouch. I didn't say I know everything or that its easy. Change sometimes is hard. To clarify this is the most important election that takes place in the world. Period. It is an incredible responsibility to do this job right. In North Carolina we have a lot of early in person voting and mail in voting.They are allowed to open, scan   and tabulate the votes before election day. Mich.,Wisc.,and Pa. along with 20 other states do not do that . This causes the delays in releasing the results. Election officials in those states have begged the legislatures to change this.There state lawmakers could easily change this but they refuse to.Half of the states allow workers to open mail in ballots and scan and tabulate them . In NC I would say 85 percent of the voting is done 3 days before election day. Do we do it perfect ?No. So we only have to count 15 percent of the vote on election day.. We have 10.7 million people . the 9th largest state. 

Edited by Paul158
missed a word

3 minutes ago, mspart said:

I think in WA, they gather the ballots and count on the day, because it takes 2-3 weeks to get results. 

mspart

Have you been following our little discussion? I'm just for accurate and timely election results.  I say get results in by midnight the next day. Unless you have some sort of National disaster.

Is it because of our impatience that we are so bothered by results in some states that may take longer?  Not making any accusations, but I am curious as to why this is seen as problematic by some.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

2 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Have you been following our little discussion? I'm just for accurate and timely election results.  I say get results in by midnight the next day. Unless you have some sort of National disaster.

Yep following and advising about a state that needs help.   We need help.  

mspart

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Ban Basketball said:

Is it because of our impatience that we are so bothered by results in some states that may take longer?  Not making any accusations, but I am curious as to why this is seen as problematic by some.

Hi Ban,  it never used to take this long to get election results that I remember.   At least in the 60's - 1990's, results were fairly immediate.   Then we got into early voting and mail in voting and the times have been extended.  

The idea of voting at the precinct has been shown to be vastly superior in terms of accuracy and speediness of results.   When we tried to centralize it as is necessary in mail in voting, the speediness at least has suffered greatly. 

mspart

3 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Now we’re getting into some substance. I like it. 

3 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Now we’re getting into some substance. I like it. 

I'm calling the officials in Mich.,Wisc. and Pa. as we speak . I'll have fixed by the end of the week.

2 minutes ago, mspart said:

Hi Ban,  it never used to take this long to get election results that I remember.   At least in the 60's - 1990's, results were fairly immediate.   Then we got into early voting and mail in voting and the times have been extended.  

The idea of voting at the precinct has been shown to be vastly superior in terms of accuracy and speediness of results.   When we tried to centralize it as is necessary in mail in voting, the speediness at least has suffered greatly. 

mspart

25 states do not allow poll workers to open mail in ballots until election day. They have to then verify eligibility. Then scan and tabulate. With all the mail-in ballots now that is problematic.

At the end of the day, the speed at which it is tabulated does not benefit the accuracy of the count. Given that even after Election Day there is a process of verification and certification that doesn’t end for two months, the speed at which we declare a winner doesn’t bother me at all, the accuracy is really the most important thing. 

• Fire 2

10 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

At the end of the day, the speed at which it is tabulated does not benefit the accuracy of the count. Given that even after Election Day there is a process of verification and certification that doesn’t end for two months, the speed at which we declare a winner doesn’t bother me at all, the accuracy is really the most important thing. 

Fair enough.  Side note . Do you coach or are you an athletic director? You make take the 5th.

Just now, Paul158 said:

Fair enough.  Side note . Do you coach or are you an athletic director? You make take the 5th.

Loaded answer haha.

Still coaching but from a step back, have been an AD in the past as well as a position at OTC prior to Rio;  now work in city's parks (youth and beer leagues, other athletics for 250,000 people).  Had my fun, now I'm going to relax and wait for my gov't pension....

1 minute ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Loaded answer haha.

Still coaching but from a step back, have been an AD in the past as well as a position at OTC prior to Rio;  now work in city's parks (youth and beer leagues, other athletics for 250,000 people).  Had my fun, now I'm going to relax and wait for my gov't pension....

Nice career. You have probably seen it all. Is the beer League Mens Softball

1 minute ago, Paul158 said:

Nice career. You have probably seen it all. Is the beer League Mens Softball

That's our biggest.  Have six different softball leagues, flag football, and tennis programming.  My main task right now is a large racquet facility we are building, 44 courts between tennis and pickleball.

Spent a lot of time traveling, but once '16 hit wanted to stay home and in the community.  (Except for the Jamaica trips of course!!)  Now the bulk of my work is putting out fires or coming up with a way to do something.  

• Fire 1