Who said TMS is retiring from wrestling?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

She can always be Pro amateur wrestling, Kurt Angle and Chas Betts still are. She has a lot better chance to make $1 million or more the next few years in fake wrestling than real wrestling. She’s aging into her 30s now, not everyone eats, breathes and thinks about wrestling all the time.

There are huge issues related to physical and mental health to go through the steroid cycles required to be successful in WWE.  The experiences portrayed in "The Iron Claw" are not the exception, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I believe the WWE still markets “Chad Gable” as an Olympian despite changing his name.  It seems the only people that don’t have their name changed are ones that already have names that sound like stage names.  Looks like there may also be something about the WWE being able to trademark the fake names but if that was a significant impact I don’t see why they wouldn’t just change everyone’s names.

What makes you say she doesn’t have much earning potential?  I saw mostly positive feedback from her performance, especially when you compare to Gable.  We also know she has a good personality and charisma, so combined with her athleticism I would expect her to do just fine in the WWE (and “just fine in the WWE” would translate to “far more earning potential than in wrestling”)

The wrestlers with brand recognition like Logan Paul, KSI, Gable Steveson, and Kurt Angle have not had to change their names. It's telling that they don't value the brand that she built enough to let her do the same-I view it as a huge red flag. What differentiates her from everyone else now?

And I'm drawing this conclusion from the clips that were shared. Being successful in WWE is not about how good of an amateur wrestler you are. I posted the exact same thing when Gable Steveson's clips in WWE started coming out years ago.  It was obvious he wasn't going to work out, and I think he was lucky to be able to get out when he did. People here were talking about how he'd be the next Lesnar or Angle and get to star in movies.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but it's crazy to me that anyone views WWE as a good career path.  The odds are much higher that you develop substance abuse problems and leave broke than actually earning enough from it for the issues to be worth it. 

Edited by billyhoyle

1 hour ago, billyhoyle said:

There are huge issues related to physical and mental health to go through the steroid cycles required to be successful in WWE.  The experiences portrayed in "The Iron Claw" are not the exception, unfortunately. 

The wrestlers with brand recognition like Logan Paul, KSI, Gable Steveson, and Kurt Angle have not had to change their names. It's telling that they don't value the brand that she built enough to let her do the same-I view it as a huge red flag. What differentiates her from everyone else now?

And I'm drawing this conclusion from the clips that were shared. Being successful in WWE is not about how good of an amateur wrestler you are. I posted the exact same thing when Gable Steveson's clips in WWE started coming out years ago.  It was obvious he wasn't going to work out, and I think he was lucky to be able to get out when he did. People here were talking about how he'd be the next Lesnar or Angle and get to star in movies.

I'd be happy to be wrong, but it's crazy to me that anyone views WWE as a good career path.  The odds are much higher that you develop substance abuse problems and leave broke than actually earning enough from it for the issues to be worth it. 

Logan Paul can’t be compared to TMS lol, but all of those people had shorter names that rolled off the tongue easier, as well being more well known.  Also pretty sure KSI isn’t even in the WWE.

Have there been any women that haven’t had their names changed?  The only woman I can think of that I had heard of prior to joining WWE was Kacy Catanzaro of American Ninja Warrior fame (who was much more well known than TMS), and she had her name changed as well.

There were plenty of real wrestling fans (including myself) that were skeptical that Gable would be successful in the WWE, largely because he seemed to lack charisma (which TMS does not).  And once he was in it, he was disliked by many of their fans (partially due to his past SA allegation, but still).  At first glance the comments I’ve seen from WWE fans about TMS are mostly positive.

I knew Jerry Brisco relatively well in the past - I used to coach his kids in high school when I was living in Tampa. Jerry told me the WWE loves recruiting wrestlers because they know how to work; that is, in a world of independent contractors and free spirits, they could count on wrestlers to show up to practice and events on time, put in the work, follow direction, etc. After that, some could pick up the stagecraft and some could not.

As far as the name change for TMS and Chas Betts/Chad Gable, the WWE wants to control as much of the creative product as it can. No need to pay Chas Betts more to license his name for merchandise, etc., when the general public doesn't know he is. Changing Gable Steveson's name, on the other hand, would've been futile.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Welp, not anymore.  Both Steveson brothers gone now

I hate how WWE treats their athletes. It’s not UFC where it makes sense to cut a fighter after losing a few fights. Apparently this guy was decently popular with their fans (unlike Gable). Clearly based off that tweet he wants to keep wrestling. But zero surprise that WWE cuts him likely out of spite almost immediately after Gable leaves. 

Edited by billyhoyle

The personality makeup it takes to be a good amateur wrestler is polar opposite to what it takes to be a good pro wrestler.  The value systems and behavior requirements are almost entirely mutually exclusive.  The internal cultures if both activities are almost 180 degrees from one another.  Besides sharing the name “wrestling”, they have a limited amount of common ground.

Showboating, brash, arrogant—>great pro wrestler

Humble, selfless, deferential —>amateur wrestler.

Football players would do a much better job as pro wrestlers.  

Also, just to make the point completely, bobby steveson is still wrestling, gable isn’t.  Wrestling pedigree doesn’t matter. It is performance art, you have to love being in front of people, that is opposite to the personality of most wrestlers.

Best point of reference for the difference is the Ric Flair 30 for 30.