Where should nationals be held?

1 hour ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Please feel free to share your candid views & opinions as to why. 

Just my opinion but here goes

1. Very expensive hotels 

2. Many dangerous neighborhoods

3. Cultural incompatibility with that of the college wrestling zeitgeist

4. Homelessness/mental illness is everpresent

5. Very little interest in wrestling among locals.  Many prominent athletic high schools in the region do not even have a team.

6. Expensive flights for the majority of schools which are based east coast and Central primarily. 

7. Lack of public transportation 

8. City is extremely spread out and difficult to navigate 

9. Although Los Angeles doesn't have full seasons, March is typically overcast and somewhat unpleasant 

Edited by flyingcement
  • Fire 2

On 7/26/2023 at 2:18 PM, flyingcement said:

On the plus side - there is plenty of capacity for flights and accommodation as well as places to host the tournament from an arena perspective.  That's pretty much it though 

Your points are all well taken.   Thank you for them.

Maybe L.A. represents growth potential for our sport, and Hollywood's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (if we can win Hollywood over enough to create more wrestling programs & movies that support our sport).

Many residents of L.A. are Hispanic & Asian.  Our sport has made considerable progress with such demographic groups over the decades.  An NCAA D1 team in Los Angeles could lure in many potential fans from relatively nearby.  That could eventually help us win over Latin America for wrestling, in time to get our sport's Olympics bid renewed.   We need more countries to advocate keeping our sport in the Olympics.   Cuba has shown that Latin Americans can be globally competitive in wrestling.  I'm not aware that any other Latin American countries have though, have they?  They love their soccer... but also (at least in Mexico) their martial arts.  Tae Kwon Do has has various Mexicans win Olympic medals in it, for example.   

Anyway, public transportation has grown considerably in L.A., but I imagine that there's much space that is not yet covered.  

Anyhow there's lots of Los Angeles to go around, and therefore plenty of space for hotels to emerge and drive prices down for the rest of us.   Or so one would hope, anyway.   

The danger that you mentioned, and the mental illness etc., are major issues though.  It's not fun being stabbed by someone like that.  Imagine the unsanitary exposure and the resulting infection.  No thanks.   

But can you imagine how beneficial wrestling could be to parentless youth who live with a grandparent or uncle, out there?   I was kinda that kid, decades ago.  I was therefore late getting a start in competitive athletics.  But I was just in time to become a reasonably worthwhile wrestler in high school.   For each such person who doesn't wind up in prison, because wrestling inspired that person to become productive instead, that's a significant victory.  

By the way, the cost of flying out to L.A. is perhaps more manageable with sufficient advanced planning.   I mean various universities compete in Los Vegas during the wintertime, with advance plans made to capitalize on discounts.   I don't know if I'm comparing apples to oranges, though.  I used to live in L.A. but never in Vegas (although I have an ex-gal friend in Vegas who has repeatedly invited me to visit).    

• Fire 1