Rokfin - Will we have to pay extra now to watch any actual wrestling?

flyingcement

22 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

Rokfin = $100 yr. and one off PPV fees for certain events whose promoter decides to utilize that function

glad to clear that up for you.

So Rofkin is basically for content that is not worthy of YouTube and it gives the fringe operator the chance to charge for his content if anyone is willing to pay. Is that it?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Max86 said:

At the end of the day, crypto will wind up being a tax on morons.

1 minute ago, Mike Parrish said:

Given the sheer number of crypto-burglaries and crypto-exchange failures, it's surprising that the federal government hasn't stepped in harder.

See above, Fed govt always in favor of a new tax.   

1 minute ago, Max86 said:

So Rofkin is basically for content that is not worthy of YouTube and it gives the fringe operator the chance to charge for his content if anyone is willing to pay. Is that it?

Their primary value proposition is that Christian Pyles will never be announcing on their stream.

• Fire 2

@Mike Parrish sorry, you don’t understand.  you called crypto fiat currency.  I am pointing out it is not.  Pretty clearly.  What organization / government / something is declaring it has value by fiat?  None.  It is not fiat currency.  

Your arms aren’t getting tired from the digging.  Keep going.

On the next point - I also don’t agree that a government can make all cryptocurrency worth zero like you say.  A government could make it worth very little by passing certain rules, I agree.  But as long as someone is willing to trade something of value for it, it is not worth zero.  

Blockchains have some value.  It is actually pretty cool.  Believe it will become more used.  Just passing it off as a currency isn’t working all that well.

Edited by Dark Energy

3 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

That' what I said on page one, but yet, here we are...

Sorry if I failed to memorize (or read). I had never really heard of Rofkin before (I thought they made wrestling shoes) and was learning as I go and then summarizing to see if I got it.

Maybe I was confusing Rokin with Rudis.

Edited by Max86
  • Fire 2

9 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

@Mike Parrish sorry, you don’t understand.  you called crypto fiat currency.  I am pointing out it is not.  Pretty clearly.  What organization / government / something is declaring it has value by fiat?  None.  It is not fiat currency.  

Your arms aren’t getting tired from the digging.  Keep going.

On the next point - I also don’t agree that a government can make all cryptocurrency worth zero like you say.  A government could make it worth very little by passing certain rules, I agree.  But as long as someone is willing to trade something of value for it, it is not worth zero.  

Blockchains have some value.  It is actually pretty cool.  Believe it will become more used.  Just passing it off as a currency isn’t working all that well.

I do understand this topic and your silly declarations that I don't are futile.

I quoted you the definition of 'fiat currency', which was correct, but not the one you wanted to use.

Your strange assertion that "crypto can be completely crippled but not worth zero" is both funny and sad. If a currency can't be easily traded (packet drops) and can't be made fungible with local currency (central bank) or has a large cost to exercise transactions (punitive taxation), then it's not much of a currency, is it?

CryptoBros think they've got things figured out, but, really, they have the tiger by the tail.

Edited by Mike Parrish

Just now, Max86 said:

Here's an idea: Merge Rofkin with TikTok. Then sell wrestling content in 7-second bites.  Maybe a buck to see a single takedown-- if the finish is clean. If it's not clean, you will, quite naturally, pay more.

Merge that mess with snapchat and setup a system where if you don't send the next micropayment, the portion of the match already watched will self-erase.

• Fire 1

34 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I understand perfectly well.

You didn't answer the question to any meaningful degree.

Perhaps my choice of terms upset you, as the more colloquial usage is the one you seem to be stuck on.

Let me rephrase.
No cryptocurrency has any intrinsic value.
All cryptocurrencies could be rendered valueless instantly by any central back.
All cryptocurrencies could be rendered useless by levying a tax against all transactions.
All cryptocurrencies could be rendered worthless by using IP Packet inspection and dropping them at the switch.

"Investing" in cryptocurrencies is the modern equivalent to hoarding Beanie Babies.

If this topic is so painful for you, let's just drop it.

A more complete statement is that no currency has intrinsic value. A currency is a collective fiction, but it works to the extent that it is a useful fiction. A dollar bill is worth a certain amount of a good or service because we all agree it is worth that. Our agreement is based on trust in a central body and its institutions. When the trust breaks down, the currency breaks down. See Venezuela, or any country that is losing a war.

The point of a crypto currency is that it does not rely on the trusted central body. It is still a collective fiction, but it does not require trust to work. 

And the idea that a government could shut it down is not completely accurate. It is difficult to shut down crypto locally, but nearly impossible to do so globally. 

And there is certainly an argument for them if you are in any jurisdiction that is subject to US sanctions. US sanctions are so effective because the dollar is the world's reserve currency. Losing access to the US banking and money transfer system can be devastating as a result. Unless there is an alternative.

• Fire 3

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

15 minutes ago, Mike Parrish said:

I do understand this topic and your silly declarations that I don't are futile.

I quoted you the definition of 'fiat currency', which was correct, but not the one you wanted to use.

Your strange assertion that "crypto can be completely crippled but not worth zero" is both funny and sad. If a currency can't be easily traded (packet drops) and can't be made fungible with local currency (central bank) or has a large cost to exercise transactions (punitive taxation), then it's not much of a currency, is it?

CryptoBros think they've got things figured out, but, really, they have the tiger by the tail.

You googled and found a definition that you feel worked.   But you didn’t keep looking and you didn’t keep thinking.  Well, you probably did a bit but then shut your mind when you saw that you were wrong.  Instead you dug in.  It is a sad problem many have — avoiding thinking so as to not feel threatened with having been wrong.

Again - Google …  ‘is crypto currency fiat currency’. … if you won’t listen to me, perhaps the dozens of sites you will find will do a better job explaining it.  I just did it.  Here is a good link …

https://www.gemini.com/cryptopedia/fiat-vs-crypto-digital-currencies

If you find one that argues that crypto is fiat currency, I will be curious.

Edited by Dark Energy

Just now, Dark Energy said:

You googled and found a definition that feel worked.   It you didn’t keep looking and you didn’t keep thinking.  Well, you probably did a bit but then shut your mind when you saw that you were wrong.  Instead you dug in.  It is a sad problem many have — avoiding thinking so as to not feel threatened with having been wrong.

Again - Google …  ‘is crypto currency fiat currency’. … if you won’t listen to me, perhaps the dozens of sites you will find will do a better job explaining it.  I just did it.  Here is a good link …

https://www.gemini.com/cryptopedia/fiat-vs-crypto-digital-currencies

If you find one that argues that crypto is fiat currency, I will be curious.

You're all hung up on the definition. Its kind of weird.

I've been recruited several times by cryptocurrency companies and consistently refused after having done my due diligence on the technology and the industry as a whole.

I did notice that you refuse to engage on the more substantive points about the fragility of cryptocurrencies.

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

A more complete statement is that no currency has intrinsic value. A currency is a collective fiction, but it works to the extent that it is a useful fiction. A dollar bill is worth a certain amount of a good or service because we all agree it is worth that. Our agreement is based on trust in a central body and its institutions. When the trust breaks down, the currency breaks down. See Venezuela, or any country that is losing a war.

The point of a crypto currency is that it does not rely on the trusted central body. It is still a collective fiction, but it does not require trust to work. 

And the idea that a government could shut it down is not completely accurate. It is difficult to shut down crypto locally, but nearly impossible to do so globally. 

And there is certainly an argument for them if you are in any jurisdiction that is subject to US sanctions. US sanctions are so effective because the dollar is the world's reserve currency. Losing access to the US banking and money transfer system can be devastating as a result. Unless there is an alternative.

The term fiat currency was termed to describe currencies that were declared independent of some stored amount of gold or other rare material.  Some currencies, historically, were tied to the value of that rare material.  So they did have intrinsic value … tied to that material.   Now, that material … the value it had … yes, derived from the value people put to it.  

1 minute ago, Dark Energy said:

The term fiat currency was termed to describe currencies that were declared independent of some stored amount of gold or other rare material.  Some currencies, historically, were tied to the value of that rare material.  So they did have intrinsic value … tied to that material.   Now, that material … the value it had … yes, derived from the value people put to it.  

The more appropriate term for cryptocurrencies is "unregistered security".

Just now, Mike Parrish said:

You're all hung up on the definition. Its kind of weird.

I've been recruited several times by cryptocurrency companies and consistently refused after having done my due diligence on the technology and the industry as a whole.

I did notice that you refuse to engage on the more substantive points about the fragility of cryptocurrencies.

You were simply wrong and I pointed it out.  You defended your usage again.  I showed you were wrong.  Again you deflect.  Can’t admit you were mistaken.  Ok.

Read my earlier posts - I am not a fan of crypto.  It is fragile.  I agree.