"Riding"

Not134

The Ankle Grab thread got me thinking about riding.  Many appear to not like riding/riding time but the rules (and the scoring) encourage it.  That said, and working from the premise that the rules should always reward offensive scoring, I believe the top and bottom man should be held to the following standards:

1.  The bottom man's sole objective is to escape (or reverse).  This means building a base when flat then following through to (hopefully) achieve an escape/reversal.  Anything less is stalling.

Accidentally posted before 2!

2.  The top man's objective is to work for the fall.  Period.  This means that mat returns are required so as not to be hit with stalling.  Riding, for the sake of riding would be stalling unless working for the fall.  I also prefer some sort of time limit on pure "riding" before being called for stalling.  Maybe after 1 minute has accumulated: the ref would let the top man know that he has 1 minute of riding time accumulated and will need to work for the fall, or let the bottom man go.

Riding without working towards a pin is stalling, plain and simple.

A wrestler who is just holding the opponen down without trying to turn them should be called for stalling.

We see way too many content to ride and the refs don't nail them for it.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

A wrestler who is just holding the opponen down without trying to turn them should be called for stalling.

You may want to catch up on the rules and associated interpretation the NCAA issued earlier this year. They say the opposite.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

13 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

So a spiral ride or thigh pry should be called stalling then?  Since you can’t pin someone with it. 

I have no problem with riding, but let's just put some limits on it.  If, after a minute, the top man had to be actively working for the fall or cut the bottom man loose, I think that would improve the offensive scoring and make things more interesting.  Don't get me wrong, riding is an art and I'm not in favor of getting rid of riding time, but encouraging more scoring is a good thing and the fall is the ultimate in wrestling.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Show me video evidence of the last time someone pinned using a spiral ride

so  you are saying b/c people dont use it to pin, its not a pinning combo? 

how many actual chicken wings do you see? so it isn't a pinning combo anymore? 

i mean i see bar arm tilts.. but no real chicken wings anymore

i can't remember the last time i saw a guy pin someone from an ankle ride btw 

What if after a current ride reaches a minute and deemed that no stalling occurred the bottom guy has the option to choose position, or potentially just the option to go neutral.  I don’t think I even like this idea, but I might prefer it to radically calling too stalling . 

Every time a topic like this appears on a forum, it should remind everyone how challenging it really is to create, interpret and apply rules. It's actually one of the primary reasons all NCAA sports review their rules so frequently. 

We'll always be able to find things that don't match the letter of the law in a sport like wrestling. You can make arguments for just about anything. Coaches and wrestlers will find the loophole.