Iowa should feel good about tonight

Jimmy Cinnabon

Even though they lost the dual I think Iowa showed well and should be happy. 

1. Spencer is gonna dominate his way to #4. 
2. Woods looks like a finalist again. 
3. Murin looks like a high AA.

4. Siebrecht looks like a AA contender if Haines is one. 
5. Kennedy was never in danger vs #5 Facundo. Kennedy will AA. 
6. Brands was right there with Starocci. 
7. PSU showed they are pretty overrated with Barlett and Van Ness. I will be stunned if either of them AAs in March. 

• Fire 2

I think it is sound strategy for Iowa wrestlenation to be happy with a distant second result when PSU is involved.  Could see this again at B1G and NCAA and for the next 20 years.  Iowa shpuld be happy to be like the Washington Generals, a good foil for the entertaining team!

I believe Iowa had a total of two takedown this evening.   

Not something to write home about or celebrate. 

Did Brands do a press conference afterward?

Practice tomorrow might be kind of intense. 

I remember those days after a team loss.  Practices never seemed to end. It was like a long winter ... until the walk to the evening shower finally arrived

Just now, SocraTease said:

I believe Iowa had a total of two takedown this evening.   

Not something to write home about or celebrate. 

Did Brands do a press conference afterward?

Practice tomorrow might be kind of intense. 

I remember those days after a team loss.  Practices never seemed to end. It was like a long winter ... until the walk to the evening shower finally arrived

Aside from Aaron Brooks wrestling a backup 165 pounder how many did PSU have? 3?

I believe RBY had three TDs.  The last one was a TD to a cradle and the pin.

He had one in the first, one at the end of the second, went neutral to start the third, scored one with ~1:30 left and then the final TD to cradle at 6:42/18 left.

Four TDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SocraTease said:

Penn State gave up only two takedowns and posted a 15-2 takedown edge in the dual.  

I would say that is pretty lopsided.

PSU didn't score an offensive point in five matches, and two of those were returning NCAA champs (141, 149, 165, 174, 197). They got teched in another match (125).

Matches were 6-4, I believe the match points were close too. Within 5 points? That's not lopsided when you consider Iowa wrestled a backup 165 lber at 184 vs a 2x champ.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

PSU didn't score an offensive point in five matches, and two of those were returning NCAA champs (141, 149, 165, 174, 197). They got teched in another match (125).

Matches were 6-4, I believe the match points were close too. Within 5 points? That's not lopsided when you consider Iowa wrestled a backup 165 lber at 184 vs a 2x champ.

Let's not forget the backup 125lber against a 3x champ. And only one of those backups got a takedown.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Let's not forget the backup 125lber against a 3x champ. And only one of those backups got a takedown.

Yea and you'd have a point if he bumped up two weights to wrestle him.

Edit.. Lol, maybe 3 weights? Roster has him 157/165 true freshman: https://hawkeyesports.com/sports/wrestling/roster/season/2022-23/player/drake-rhodes/

Edited by Jamie_Taco

Iowa has no reason to feel good tonight. Spencer and Teske wrestled below expectation, Warner needs to get off bottom. The rest did ok, I guess, but I would have liked to have seen more action.

Assad's injury or whatever must be fairly fresh and possibly quite significant. Otherwise, I'd expect him out there... Hope this doesn't bode poorly for March 

20 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Iowa has no reason to feel good tonight. Spencer and Teske wrestled below expectation, Warner needs to get off bottom. The rest did ok, I guess, but I would have liked to have seen more action.

Assad's injury or whatever must be fairly fresh and possibly quite significant. Otherwise, I'd expect him out there... Hope this doesn't bode poorly for March 

Warner would need a couple summers in the Jordan Holm School for Top-Bottom to have the necessary man-strength to consistently escape from someone like Dean without giving up RT.

6 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

How so?

Drake Rhodes is a 157/165 true freshman back-up who wrestled 184.

Marco Vespa is 125 RS sophomore who wrestled 125.

You really can't figure this out?

This is how. You are including 125 in your list of weights where PSU underperformed when the entire rest of the wrestling world is not. Spencer Lee was expected to pin the PSU starter by all 27 people who cared to make a pre-match prediction on this board, along with every single person who made a prediction on both PSU fan boards, and 10 of 11 people who made a prediction on the Iowa fan board. Instead he gave up a takedown and cradle to someone nobody has ever heard of, somebody who was 0-2 and sitting all season behind a clearly over matched wrestler. But you want to play at being cute by establishing an impossible criteria for your category. The performances are only equivalent if they moved up the same number of weights to take the L. That is just dumb when talking about the lowest weight. But then you knew that, Jimmy, er, I mean Jamie.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

9 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

6. Brands was right there with Starocci. 

While boring, Brand's traditional Iowa-style pressure, short-arms heavy hands, push-pull, squared-up sprawls and short offense, methodically improving position on top and bottom, etc., will keep him in every match. If he can force the guy to take a half-assed shot to avoid a stall call, he can win those sort of matches. It really depends on how disciplined his opponent is. Last night, the other guy was disciplined.

One complaint: Starocci shut it down at the end and danced around boxer-style. Brands, frustrated, did his own little dance. His attempt to mock Starocci sorta backfired in my opinion. I thought it was a bad look. 

Edited by jackwebster
  • Fire 1

20 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

While boring, Brand's traditional Iowa-style pressure, short-arms heavy hands, push-pull, squared-up sprawls and short offense, methodically improving position on top and bottom, etc., will keep him in every match. If he can force the guy to take a half-assed shot to avoid a stall call, he can win those sort of matches. It really depends on how disciplined his opponent is. Last night, the other guy was disciplined.

One complaint: Starocci shut it down at the end and danced around boxer-style. Brands, frustrated, did his own little dance. His attempt to mock Starocci sorta backfired in my opinion. I thought it was a bad look. 

It feels as though Iowa style is more defensive and psu is more offensive (in generalities, not specifically this dual)

Penn States recent dominance is bearing out that offense wins championships.

Brands and Starocci, they both looked pretty foolish.

26 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Good description. 

• Fire 2