Tyre Nichols

El Luchador

It shouldn't.   The officers were fired and charged with 2nd degree murder.   Isn't that what people are looking for?  Or is there more they want out of this situation?

I really hope Memphis doesn't have a riot tonight.   If one starts, I hope it gets squashed immediately with arrests of the perpetrators. 

That said, the Memphis police have done everything they can to say, these were bad cops, look we fired them and are pressing charges against them.   Honestly, what more could be required?  My guess is there will be disturbance tonight and if that goes well, tomorrow night and the next.  The police need to jump out in front of this and deny them their wish to burn the city down.   I really hope everyone stays calm tonight, but I'm guessing they won't. 

mspart

Well it's truly despicable.  These cops were ill-equipped to handle this situation and had a hood rat mentality of dealing with "disrespect".

Cops should spend 25% of their time training. I'm beginning to think only wrestlers should be cops.  This is a massive reflection on the sub standard screening and training of police officers by the Memphis PD. 

Is the video evidence somehow an indicator of training?   I have not seen it but read and heard descriptions.  Police are not trained to do what is on the video.  In fact, police are trained not to do what was seen in the video.  

mspart

I flew into Memphis on Friday, then back out Sunday morning. I drove back from Little Rock on Saturday night and stayed in a hotel about 5 miles from the airport. I drove to Little Rock in between. I didn’t see/hear much of anything in my time there, other than what I’d just see pop up on the local news when I returned on Saturday night. I was supposed to have dinner downtown on Friday, but only found out about what was happening when I called Rendezvous (bbq joint) to see if they took reservations. Closed early and I asked “should I look up what’s causing your closure?” Their response about why they were closing early seemed cautious.

I got through town without any street blockages or witnessing anything. I did read they blocked one of the main interstates out of the city into Arkansas for a bit long after I’d gotten out of town.

Seems like there was limited issues of unrest. Weather was poor, so that may have kept people in.

Just a relatively brief first person account of what I did and didn’t experience in Memphis this weekend.

Insert catchy tagline here. 

9 hours ago, mspart said:

Is the video evidence somehow an indicator of training?   I have not seen it but read and heard descriptions.  Police are not trained to do what is on the video.  In fact, police are trained not to do what was seen in the video.  

mspart

Their inability to control and apprehend without beating a guy half to death is the most obvious.  The physical challenges police face they most certainly are not properly trained to handle. 

There have been numerous riots over outright lies but the time we see clear evidence of atrocious behavior from police somehow the peace was kept. I just don't get it. 

1 hour ago, El Luchador said:

Their inability to control and apprehend without beating a guy half to death is the most obvious.  The physical challenges police face they most certainly are not properly trained to handle. 

There have been numerous riots over outright lies but the time we see clear evidence of atrocious behavior from police somehow the peace was kept. I just don't get it. 

It is because they were quickly fired and charged.