ILLINOIS Versus Iowa & Wisconsin This Week

A preview of the Iowa match is here. Does Spencer Lee wrestle? I think with it being at home and the first B1G dual of his last season, he will. On the other hand, it could be that he needs more than a week off after four live matches in two days, which he hasn't done in a calendar.

I've got Lucas Byrd and Edmond Ruth as favorites and the ILLINI at 125 if Spencer is a no go. 

The upper weights should have some good matches as well. Danny Braunagel and Kennedy in a toss up. Up and comer Dylan Connell against Assad, the latter being the solid favorite, but Connell is starting to believe. Zac Braunagel versus Jacob Warner.

ILLINIWRESTLING215.jpg

• Fire 1

Some good matches. Kennedy vs Braunagel is a good test for both. Assad appeared to have tweaked a knee at the Soldier Salute so I'm not sure if we see him, and if we do, what condition he'll be in.

Not going to get my hopes up about seeing Lee this weekend. If he were to wrestle only 1 match, I think going up against Purdue is the more intriguing option.

• Fire 1

Good point about Purdue, Mr. PeanutButter. Will Spencer's knees be ready for a brash and tricksy Matt Ramos, though? Will be interesting to see what Brands/Lee decide.

I thought I saw that Assad had won Soldier Salute. Didn't know about the tweaked knee. Assad has been an ILLINI-killer, so we scoured the state for somebody who could beat him, much like the Soviet Union searched their country top to bottom for an anti-Gable for the Olympics.

7 minutes ago, jchapman said:

1)  Hilger is a 3X AA.

2)  Wisconsin hasn't signed the NPO because it doesn't apply to Kyle's situation.

If you are including this from the lost Covid year: 

• 2020 NWCA All-American (First-Team)

I agree with you 100%. Those count in my eyes. That change has been made to the preview. Thank you.

As for your second point, would you be willing to give a statement under oath to our investigators, the Hardly Boys and Encephalopedia Brown? 

16 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

If you are including this from the lost Covid year: 

• 2020 NWCA All-American (First-Team)

I agree with you 100%. Those count in my eyes. That change has been made to the preview. Thank you.

As for your second point, would you be willing to give a statement under oath to our investigators, the Hardly Boys and Encephalopedia Brown? 

Sure, my statement is:  Illinois is really Baja Wisconsin.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

Iowa is going with all of their expected starters, although there's one "or" wrestling: Either Teske or Schriever:

125. Maximo Renteria vs. Spencer Lee
133. Lucas Byrd vs. Brody Teske/Cullen Schriever
141. Danny Pucino vs. Real Woods
149. Kevon Davenport vs. Max Murin
157. Anthony Federico vs. Cobe Seibrecht
165. Danny Braunagel vs. Patrick Kennedy
174. Edmond Ruth vs. Nelson Brands
184. Dylan Connell vs. Abe Assad
197. Zac Braunagel vs. Jacob Warner
285. Matt Wroblewski vs. Tony Cassioppi

Wisconsin has more "ors" wrestling:

125: Maximo Renteria vs. Eric Barnett 
133: Lucas Byrd vs. Taylor LaMont or Nicolar Rivera 
141: Danny Pucino vs. Joseph Zargo or Felix Lettini 
149: Kevon Davenport vs. Austin Gomez 
157: Anthony Federico or Luke Odom vs. Garrett Model or Drew Scharenbrock 
165: Danny Braunagel vs. Dean Hamiti 
174: Edmond Ruth vs. Josh Otto or James Rowley 
184: Dylan Connell vs. Tyler Dow 
197: Zac Braunagel vs. Braxton Amos 
285: Matt Wroblewski vs. Trent Hillger or Peter Christensen 

I don't think the Iowa "or" is much of a drop off. It might even be an improvement. Time will tell. Four of the Wisconsin "ors" are major drop offs. Poor Maximo. Beset with injuries and illnesses and now gets his first two B1G dual starts against Spencer Lee and Eric Barnett. Could be a decent match with Barnett if the Badger is pulling as much weight as I think he is. 

Breaking News: Illinois (and also Penn State) will need to cross the dreaded River of Melted Butter to take on Wisconsin this weekend.  

Both teams are currently consulting Willy Wonka for navigation advice since the viscosity of his River of Chocolate is apparently similar.

Carl Sanderson was also speaking with Christian Pyles, who reportedly now "has a plan" for the team to fjord the river.  Full story below:

River of melted butter blocks Wisconsin waterway after fire at dairy plant

Firefighters describe struggling through butter ‘three inches thick’ on steps as they battled blaze at factory

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/05/butter-wisconsin-dairy-plant-canal-melted

Edited by SocraTease
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Carl Sanderson was also speaking with Christian Pyles, who reportedly now "has a plan" for the team to fjord the river.  Full story below:

Sanderson will congeal the river with his icy stare and his wrestlers will walk across it...

• Fire 2

I have looked all over the place and it appears Iowa vs Illinois (a pretty good matchup) is not being played on TV.  BTN+ is showing Bucknell vs MSU and Big Ten right now is showing Ohio State vs Indiana.  Neither of these is as good as Iowa vs Illinois for total viewership and in terms of ranked individual matches.  Interesting choice haha

6 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I have looked all over the place and it appears Iowa vs Illinois (a pretty good matchup) is not being played on TV.  BTN+ is showing Bucknell vs MSU and Big Ten right now is showing Ohio State vs Indiana.  Neither of these is as good as Iowa vs Illinois for total viewership and in terms of ranked individual matches.  Interesting choice haha

It was supposed to be on b10+ which I don't have, I also checked the Iowa radio on their schedule, got prematch junk, nothing I could find on Illini site either.  The sport doesn't seem to care about fans.  

Its why I like Espn+, its easy & dependable, good match Vtech v Cornell.

Ahh ... think IL v IA at 7 ct.  

Edited by ionel