Should Fix hang up the boots?

On 9/20/2024 at 11:53 AM, Hammerlock3 said:

He also relied on his top work in both styles. Being good on top can make some other feel freer on their feet, others let it make them less active.

What happened to that trap arm? At one point in his career, it was match over if he got on top. I guess folks started scouting him, but I thought he was so good at it that it wouldn't matter. It just reminds us of how freakish the best of the best are. Cross's hi-gut, Aldatov's lace, Saitiev's West Point -- I mean, wtf?

8 hours ago, jackwebster said:

What happened to that trap arm? At one point in his career, it was match over if he got on top. I guess folks started scouting him, but I thought he was so good at it that it wouldn't matter. It just reminds us of how freakish the best of the best are. Cross's hi-gut, Aldatov's lace, Saitiev's West Point -- I mean, wtf?

I think the boot trap arm has too many moving parts to be as reliable as the aforementioned turns, and so much of your body is occupied by it its hard to transition without starting over.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

That trap arm series feels long gone. He does t get on top too much it seems. When he got silver, he was super offensive and teched in the semis. Even before that tournament, I had always felt he shut it down against top notch guys. It is very apparent in folkstyle, and was super apparent at NCAAs this last March. I should go back and watch his matches at final x when he made the team and compare his match tactics.

He relied so heavily on the art of surprise with two moves that aren't common (inside trip and trap-arm that comes from a top setup), once people figured those out they've essentially been nullified.  Scouting is so much bigger than people give credit for...

Just like in college, his lack of a "go to" leg attack from neutral is his biggest weakness. 

23 minutes ago, Gantry said:

He relied so heavily on the art of surprise with two moves that aren't common (inside trip and trap-arm that comes from a top setup), once people figured those out they've essentially been nullified.  Scouting is so much bigger than people give credit for...

Just like in college, his lack of a "go to" leg attack from neutral is his biggest weakness. 

But if a wrestler has a "go to" move it'll be scouted and thus ...  🤔

2 hours ago, Gantry said:

Agreed 100%. It's not just a lack of a go to leg attack, its a lack of comfort with leg attacks in general. His throw by and trip are elite, he either needs to figure out new ways to set those up or put them away and get going with single/double/ankle. Also needs to up his misdirection and level changes, he's always been a straight ahead guy. Also needs to take some of those 50/50 shots and trust himself to work through scrambles. Easy peasy