Do we put too much emphasis on heavy lifting?

Eagle26

This question is getting at our performance on the mat ultimately.  Rather than asking if we lift too much, the missing imbalances we really are talking about are gymnastic ability and access to flexibility.  This is something that HAS worked its way into grassroots programming, but we could definitely benefit from the body control gymnastic training that is the core of moving up the national ladder in most state-run athletic programs (ie China and Russia).  It is undeniably the best foundation for success in a sport like wrestling.  

2 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

This question is getting at our performance on the mat ultimately.  Rather than asking if we lift too much, the missing imbalances we really are talking about are gymnastic ability and access to flexibility.  This is something that HAS worked its way into grassroots programming, but we could definitely benefit from the body control gymnastic training that is the core of moving up the national ladder in most state-run athletic programs (ie China and Russia).  It is undeniably the best foundation for success in a sport like wrestling.  

image.jpeg.bc86c83f04c4e950ac24b9157661c50b.jpeg

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

The reason the Russians are better isn’t because they weight train differently. And it’s not because there are chemicals in the water in Dagestan. 

You can succeed in wrestling without doing heavy weight training, but it helps a lot to do it. And yes, the elite athletes are doing different types of lifts than just curls and bench press, so you don’t have to worry about that. 

• Bob 1

46 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Sorry guys, sorry. But those weights, they look fake, yes? Can I try?

The guy is like 170lbs / 5’11 and is a legit power lifter. I know there’s a lot of talk about whether what he does is staged or not but he’s the real deal. I’ve watched alot of his videos which include  other types of exercise and he is crazy strong for his size.

I obviously don’t know what our guys weight training looks like and I’m no expert, but I think weight training can certainly be beneficial for wrestling.  Spencer Lee seemingly has picked up his weight training and IMO it appears to have helped him.   Snyder and Zain didn’t appear to really use their strength much, and if anything Brooks maybe could have benefitted from a little more weight training.

18 hours ago, Rassling said:

The guy is like 170lbs / 5’11 and is a legit power lifter. I know there’s a lot of talk about whether what he does is staged or not but he’s the real deal. I’ve watched alot of his videos which include  other types of exercise and he is crazy strong for his size.

He's pretty ripped under those goofy overalls and mini-backpack. The guy who plays Anatoly has said it's more because he has perfect form and technique.

Only "physical" advantage Russians have is balance .... And quick twitch muscle fibers.

Their muscles are trained for each position ...not through weights. They break down each biometric muscle pattern used in wrestling ....understand the most efficient movement and through wrestling develop those reactions and thus the muscles needed to do it better. it's wrestling function. Pure strength is completely useless on its own. 

That balance and instinctual twitch to move through a position is basically their advantage. I call it international feel. 

Bo nickal had an international style. How many Americans will give you a leg ? 

Would of liked to see nickal develop.

Edited by alliseeisgold
  • Bob 1

On 8/11/2024 at 12:21 PM, PAFAN01 said:

I thought the Bulgarian that beat Brook out muscled him.

Nope not even close. Had better international feel. Knew how to move contort his body out of brooks 2 and knew how to score on brooks in an international position while brooks was doing folk. Proved big muscle guys still can have that slick feel to em. 

Nickal could of helped brooks. 

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, alliseeisgold said:

Only "physical" advantage Russians have is balance .... And quick twitch muscle fibers.

Their muscles are trained for each position ...not through weights. They break down each biometric muscle pattern used in wrestling ....understand the most efficient movement and through wrestling develop those reactions and thus the muscles needed to do it better. it's wrestling function. Pure strength is completely useless on its own. 

That balance and instinctual twitch to move through a position is basically their advantage. I call it international feel. 

What is quick twitch?

Everyone would HAVE liked to see Bo develop. 

Nope not even close. Had better international feel. Knew how to move contort his body out of brooks 2 and knew how to score on brooks in an international position while brooks was doing folk. Proved big muscle guys still can have that slick feel to em. 

Nickal could have helped brooks. 

Nickal could HAVE helped brooks for sure. In fact I guarantee he did. He coached brooks in ott. 

I think you are getting muscle fiber types confused with the benefits of sport training and perfection of motor skills.

Have you ever performed a biopsy of muscle fibers on a Russian and compared to people of other ethnicities? Or seen the results of such a test?