Noto to 133#

D-1

Word has it 125lb'r Anthony Noto (2x AA @ Lock Haven) is moving up to 133 for the upcoming season. I know he tested the waters earlier this summer in a tournament around that weight...Let's see how that goes?! There are some studs there!

• Bob 1

30 minutes ago, D-1 said:

Word has it 125lb'r Anthony Noto (2x AA @ Lock Haven) is moving up to 133 for the upcoming season. I know he tested the waters earlier this summer in a tournament around that weight...Let's see how that goes?! There are some studs there!

Could this be consider a weight transfer and thus something fly should be tracking?  🤔

• Brain 1

9 hours ago, ionel said:

Could this be consider a weight transfer and thus something fly should be tracking?  🤔

This is the first I'm hearing of this news.  It would not surprise me as I think about how large he looks as a 125.  I also think back to a few matches last year where he looks gassed early and lost unexpected matches to the likes of Diego Sotelo and Joey Fischer.  The former who proved to be a much better wrestler than I knew, but still not the caliber that Noto is.

Looking at the lineup, Gable Strickland at 133 has not used a redshirt year yet and could potentially use one this year.  They would then need to put forth a true freshman at 125.  In the MAC, I don't think that is as big of a deal.  They have a bunch of freshman coming in at 125, but I think Dean Houser would be best suited to start right away. Darren Florance is a 3X NY State Champ, but he won this year at 116 and will need some time to fill out into a proper 125.

• 4 weeks later...

You gents mean to tell me that 125lbs is difficult for growing men to hold?

Davis, Ayala, Noto, and Stanich all decide 125lbs is too low?

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You gents mean to tell me that 125lbs is difficult for growing men to hold?

Davis, Ayala, Noto, and Stanich all decide 125lbs is too low?

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think it is too low, to be clear.

So you can make the cut? 😯

9 minutes ago, ionel said:

So you can make the cut? 😯

I couldn't 30 years ago when we could cut limbs off.  I was a lean 134lber.

That said, just because we are hefty as a nation does not mean the lowest weight class needs increased.

If the UWW dictates an increase, I will agree then.

Of course, I am of the mind that we need to line our scholastic and collegiate weights with UWW.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

18 hours ago, Gus said:

It will have a lot of depth but you are losing Vito and Fix. 

Davis, Ayala, Noto, and Stanich come up.

Plus you add in Crookham, Bailey, Ragusin, Frost, Shawver, Orine & Nagao

For 11 total AAs at the weight?

That already is a bloodbath.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, BloodRound said:

Davis, Ayala, Noto, and Stanich come up.

Plus you add in Crookham, Bailey, Ragusin, Frost, Shawver, Orine & Nagao

For 11 total AAs at the weight?

That already is a bloodbath.

First of all, Stanich and Crookham are on the same team so only one can wrestle 133. Second, Davis and Nagao are on the same team so only one can wrestle 133. Third, Davis is not an AA. 

I agree that it is a tough weight with a lot of depth but it does lack those top end guy that we have seen the last few years (i.e. Vito, RBY, Fix). Now, maybe Crookham/Bailey/Ayala will end up being those guys. Time will tell. 

• Fire 1
  • Jagger 1

6 hours ago, Gus said:

First of all, Stanich and Crookham are on the same team so only one can wrestle 133. Second, Davis and Nagao are on the same team so only one can wrestle 133. Third, Davis is not an AA. 

Total oversight from my uncaffeinated mind at the time!  You bring up a good point a top guy though.

• Bob 1

16 minutes ago, BloodRound said:

Total oversight from my uncaffeinated mind at the time!  You bring up a good point a top guy though.

The pre-coffee hours of the morning are always more difficult haha. 

• Bob 1