Team America Expat

peanut

How did all the American expats do at this Olympics?

• Micic -- withdrew
  • Cruz -- 5th
  • RBY -- 0-1, eliminated
  • Rivera -- 1-1, will be pulled into repechage if Kiyooka (Japan) wins
  • Gomez -- 0-1, eliminated
  • Amine -- 5th
  • Ramos -- 0-1, eliminated
  • Smith -- 0-1, eliminated
  • Mutuwa -- 0-1, eliminated

As of now, it looks like the process of switching countries won't result in a medal -- pending the results at 65kg, of course. But remember, this is a brutal tournament. Only 16 can qualify, and it's everyone's lifelong dream to win.

Edited by peanut
  • Bob 2

• peanut changed the title to Team America Expat
1 minute ago, D3 for LU said:

The draw was WITH Darian... imho, I do not think DC will likely see an opportunity like THAT again.

(I was rooting for him all the way!)

D3

If I were Cruz -- and I am not Cruz -- I would retire right now. 5th at the Olympics is a good note to leave on.

2 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

but they got the chance to try...

just ask the chilean HWT in greco

Right. And for the rest of their lives they can put "Olympian" on their resumes. That will certainly separate you from people with roughly similar qualifications.

• Bob 1

8 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Now, how did the Russian expats do?

Curious, do we know how many of them actually live in those other countries? (Not that there’s anything wrong with it if they don’t as obviously the American ones don’t)

Also curious how many of the transfers happened after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine (I know many happened before, and maybe even some of the ones that happened after it it may not have been the main reason)

8 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

but they got the chance to try...

just ask the chilean HWT in greco

My guess is that the Chilean HWT actually lives in Chile. Does it make a difference? I’m not sure, but it’s an interesting fact. 

How many “Russian expats” actually live in the nations they represent? Zero?

3 minutes ago, ChickenWing said:

Any AIN wrestlers like in weightlifting?  ("Individual Neutral Athletes" , no flag, no anthem)

They were from Russia or Belarus and probably signed an Ukraine War Bad form but are now in Siberia.

Kadi was one and I think there was one at 65 as well?

1 minute ago, gimpeltf said:

And perhaps I could have said Soviet- as in former Soviet country expats. Although fewer of this. But Murazi MCHEDLIDZE has an obvious Geo name but wrestled for UKR. He was born in UKR.

I was also curious about the Russian expats- how many of their coaches were also Russian expats?

I think a lot of these (like the Georgian wrestling for Ukraine) are results of the USSR being one nation for decades and movement of ethnic groups within that nation, a lot of it forced by Stalin and his successors  

Certainly one of Putins motivations for the invasion of Ukraine is the large number of ethnic Russians in Ukr at a time when “Russians” are making up a smaller and smaller percentage of their population.

• Bob 1

11 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

My guess is that the Chilean HWT actually lives in Chile. Does it make a difference? I’m not sure, but it’s an interesting fact. 

i would hope he lives in chile... b/c im not sure cuba would allow him to leave.

interesting point about the russians.. i hadn't thought about that... im surprised that russia would allow them to leave as well, if they do

12 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yeah I have that same question.

I wouldn’t agree with this, but one argument I’ve seen for the US ones is that American resources/facilities shouldn’t be used to train foreign athletes, so maybe some Russians feel the same way?  Although I guess for them it’s probably more about coaches and training partners where in the US many are training at publicly funded universities (although I moreso have an issue with the entanglement of RTC’s and universities than “foreign” athletes training at the RTC’s).

2 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

i would hope he lives in chile... b/c im not sure cuba would allow him to leave.

interesting point about the russians.. i hadn't thought about that... im surprised that russia would allow them to leave as well, if they do

If they’re representing other countries, I’m surprised that Russia doesn’t make them leave…

• Bob 1

Just now, 1032004 said:

Yeah I have that same question.

I wouldn’t agree with this, but one argument I’ve seen for the US ones is that American resources/facilities shouldn’t be used to train foreign athletes, so maybe some Russians feel the same way?  Although I guess for them it’s probably more about coaches and training partners where in the US many are training at publicly funded universities (although I moreso have an issue with the entanglement of RTC’s and universities than “foreign” athletes training at the RTC’s).

I think Russians DO feel the same way. There was some blowback after Russian underperformance in 2023. 

4 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

I agree. Cuba has been better about this in recent years. They have been letting athletes leave as long as they pay a significant tax to the Cuban government. I’m sure it’s more complicated than that, but my understanding (from Yoel Romero and baseball players) is that the policy has changed…

38 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Acosta defected from Cuba during the 2015 Pan Ams in Chile. Don’t think he’s ever going back.

https://www.cubaheadlines.com/articles/286511 

7 minutes ago, Red95 said:

Acosta defected from Cuba during the 2015 Pan Ams in Chile. Don’t think he’s ever going back.

https://www.cubaheadlines.com/articles/286511 

Thanks for the article. I think the situation was similar with Yoel Romero, but he’s allowed to return now… he just has to give the Cuban government a percentage of his earnings. There was a time when he wasn’t allowed back. 

I’m sure every situation is unique