Olympic Wrestling ... Day 4

10 minutes ago, scourge165 said:

That's what I'm trying to figure out. This was in '70...and Douglas Wrestled in '70. So he didn't get screwed out of a spot, right?

(Not that it's not still noteworthy...assuming it was racist).

That is my understanding. Gables dad stepped in, ended the situation, and they sent Bobby. 

• Bob 1

20 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Hes more of a CEO. Guys have their own personal coaches. You don’t change that up for the Olympics or any other tournament. 

Yea but they have team practices in colorado where I assume they do something as a team coordinated by zadick. Look someone has to have the big boy pants to step in front of cael for end of match situations. 

Apparently not. A failure at a multitude of levels. 

I believe this is where the Iranian and Russian one head coach in the corner has some benefits. Clear messaging. alignment. Clear understanding of match management and scouting of opponent to stay out of those positions. 

Caels folk dominance as a coach is largely based on top and bottom. Primarily that's the #1 reason for Penn states success. And winning close matches by grabbing onto the leg for a stalemate. Not things that translate to free.

• Clown 2

9 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Jordan Burroughs is a great announcer. Fantastic voice. Knowledgeable of course. Keeps the dialog rolling. The play-by-play guy is excellent as well. They know their stuff, and Burroughs even giving Greco love. Gotta love that! Beats the guy with the Scottish accent at the Pan Ams. LOL! 

Oh...that was BRUTAL. 

The disrespect...a Scott doing the Wrestling? C'mon...

• Bob 1

I will not take any more Kyle Snyder slander. He, like Yazdani, would be in GOAT conversation if there were not a pantheon all-timer. You are all damn fools for even thinking this. He had a single bronze slide outside of Sadulaev before what was either Taz's tourney of his life or the changing of the guard when Snyder was an old *and still producing* 27. You folkstyle morons need to gtfo and it shows.

• Fire 7

i am an idiot on the internet

11 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I will not take any more Kyle Snyder slander. He, like Yazdani, would be in GOAT conversation if there were not a pantheon all-timer. You are all damn fools for even thinking this. He had a single bronze slide outside of Sadulaev before what was either Taz's tourney of his life or the changing of the guard when Snyder was an old *and still producing* 27. You folkstyle morons need to gtfo and it shows.

Except yazdani absolute smokes the field and covers 40 points football spreads where Kyle skates by and gets upset somewhat regularly. Their dominance isn't really comparable. 

• Bob 1

32 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Except yazdani absolute smokes the field and covers 40 points football spreads where Kyle skates by and gets upset somewhat regularly. Their dominance isn't really comparable. 

I was wondering where Brooks' roller skates went and now I see that you stole them for your strawman goal posts

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, The Kid said:

Bad strategy.  Why shoot a single leg when winning with under 20 seconds left?  It's one great way to lose a bout you should have won. Unbelievable. 

It's funny that Brooks gets bashed for taking a shot when leading and losing, but had he not taken a shot and taken down or given up a push out, he would be bashed for doing nothing. I think the real problem isn't the shot, but the fact he took it when so long left on the clock and just sat there. Allowing BUL way too much time to move through different techniques until he got to one that worked. If Brooks moves even a bit towards a finish/score, he probably doesn't give up the 2. 

• Brain 2

6 hours ago, mspart said:

I paid for Peacock and have to run through the commercials.   In order to watch Hildebrandts match last night I had to go through a 4 hour broadcast.   It doesn't tell me where the match is so I have to guess.   Each time I guess I get to watch 2 minutes of commercials.   I'm am irritated as heck.   I spend 8 minutes trying to find a 6 minute match!! 

Amit's and Mijian's  final were on a video all its own on Peacock.   I thought that was how it was going to go.   Nope.  

I'm canceling as soon as the Olys are over.  

mspart

Are you watching on mobile/tablet? I always get commercials when I do. But when I use my browser, even this morning, I don't have any commercials on replay.

10 hours ago, Rassling said:
13 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

This is nothing new… it’s much easier to train for one person than it is to train for the whole world. There’s many times when our rep won the wrestle off but probably wasn’t the best option against the rest of the world. Would you rather just have USA wrestling just pick whoever they think is best? This is America… I like that we give opportunity to everyone. Congrats to Brooks he earned the right to be there and will probably walk away with a bronze

This is the good and bad about our system. A guy can train for one opponent or have a great weekend to make the team, but it isn't always going to be the best guy for international competition. There is no perfect system beyond being able to see into the future. I'd rather have this system that rewards the guy that wins than one that just picks guys. They give advantages to the guys that have produced in the past still, but don't just give them the spot. 

It happened last year with Richards and Marsteller, and probably happened this year with Brooks. It will continue to happen.

It's amazing that we are able to argue about a guy still going for Bronze in the Olympics!

• Bob 2

7 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

David Taylor would like to say something about this "smoking the field," comment...

13 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

HARD AGREE.  Snyder will forever be my first GOAT; that person who really got me to care about wrestling beyond the high school and even college level.  It is absolutely crazy how quick we are with turning on our team like this when it comes time for the big show.

Just now, BloodRound said:

It is absolutely crazy how quick we are with turning on our team like this when it comes time for the big show.

Very well said. Go back before JB reinvigorated wrestling at the London Games and you'll see abysmal support for our senior teams during a good year.