Greco Passivity Reffing

I’ve seen a number of matches where wrestler A is the aggressor while wrestler B is more defensive. Wrestler B gets put down for passivity.

Then A continues to be the aggressor but he gets put down. It’s like the refs automatically put both down regardless of who the aggressor is. Anyone else see it the same?

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think it is about control of middle rather than who is aggressor.

It’s absolutely about control of the middle and not who’s the aggressor.  The other thing it is, by putting the aggressor down first, you give him the second chance, to put his opponent down. Many of those matches are going to go to criteria, and by way of going down first, and top second, the aggressor wins the match with last point scored, whether it be 1-1, or 3-3.  You won’t see that written in any officials handbook, but that’s part of what that’s about. 

4 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

It’s absolutely about control of the middle and not who’s the aggressor.  The other thing it is, by putting the aggressor down first, you give him the second chance, to put his opponent down. Many of those matches are going to go to criteria, and by way of going down first, and top second, the aggressor wins the match with last point scored, whether it be 1-1, or 3-3.  You won’t see that written in any officials handbook, but that’s part of what that’s about. 

Do they automatically put both down, or are they only supposed to put the guy down not controlling the middle?

36 minutes ago, BuckyBadger said:

Do they automatically put both down, or are they only supposed to put the guy down not controlling the middle?

They'll put 'em both down in the snoozers, where nobody seems close to scoring. I wish it were more rare.

I know that I'm ignorant on Greco. 

A really weird inference I've made is such snoozefests: They'll penalize the favored guy first, so he'll have the best chance at scoring last. I freaking hate it!

I could deduce that the 'favored' wrestler in this scenario is showing the judges what they need to see in order to secure the second passivity penalty, but I also hate that as a competitive strategy in a sport called wrestling. 

10 hours ago, denger said:

They'll put 'em both down in the snoozers, where nobody seems close to scoring. I wish it were more rare.

I know that I'm ignorant on Greco. 

A really weird inference I've made is such snoozefests: They'll penalize the favored guy first, so he'll have the best chance at scoring last. I freaking hate it!

I could deduce that the 'favored' wrestler in this scenario is showing the judges what they need to see in order to secure the second passivity penalty, but I also hate that as a competitive strategy in a sport called wrestling. 

I’m still not clear on the rules. I saw plenty of matches where they seem to put both down automatically, regardless of the action. Other matches where they put one guy down and that was it.