beating both Brands brothers

In googling this I found a similar discussion on Facebook where the names Kelber, Cross, Randy Lewis, and Chris Hoffman (freestyle in HS - I've never heard of him) were mentioned.  I tried to find all there college losses, but I'm still missing a few.  Below is what I have

Terry Brands

High School: 110-10 (2 State Titles, lost in finals as a senior)
College: 137-7
1987-1988: Redshirted unsure of losses this year probably wrestled in at least the Drake Open
1988-1989 26-4 (Larry Jones & Jack Griffin Midlands, Jack Griffin one other time - Possibly at the Northern Open where he finished 3rd)
1989-1990 33-2 (Gary McCall Wisconsin Open?, Kendall Cross dual?, Prescott double DQ Virginia Duals?)
1990-1991 43-1 (Kelber NCAAs, Chertow Midlands - Chertow postgrad)
1991-1992 35-0

Tom Brands

High School: 109-12 (1 state title lost to Kelber)
College: 158-7-2
1987-1988: Redshirted.  Unsure of record.
1988-1989 32-4-2 (Kendall Cross NCAAs, Jim Martin NCAAs and Midlands, 2nd at Northern Open)
1989-1990 40-2 (Dave Zuniga Big Tens, Alan Fried)
1990-1991 45-0
1991-1992 41-1 (Fried Midlands)

So I think I am missing one loss each from their freshman year.  Tom's loss at the Northern Open.  Possibly Terry's loss at the Northern Open too - unless that was his second loss to Griffin. No idea on their losses in their redshirt year.

• Bob 1

On 6/24/2024 at 7:03 PM, 11986 said:

Brands young as heck there and looking to scrap and Lewis is just play wrestling. 

Brands not quite as young and looking to scrap and Smith just rolling him like a log.

Edited by jackwebster
  • Bob 2

50 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

Brands not quite as young and looking to scrap and Smith just rolling him like a log.

Smith rolled him so many times he was punched out.

Brands' par terre is comical.

Edited by jackwebster

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

I always enjoyed the K Cross v Terry B fs match. 

8 minutes ago, ionel said:

I always enjoyed the K Cross v Terry B fs match. 

Especially after the final whistle when Cross pets Brands on the head, and Brands slaps his hand away. Initially, I thought there was an element of sincerity in that act. Then I watched Cross do it to about every top flight guy he beat. Cold blooded ... Kinda like the Nickal helping hand 

• Bob 2

18 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Especially after the final whistle when Cross pets Brands on the head, and Brands slaps his hand away. Initially, I thought there was an element of sincerity in that act. Then I watched Cross do it to about every top flight guy he beat. Cold blooded ... Kinda like the Nickal helping hand 

Cross had beaten Brands at the US Open earlier that year and taunted Terry telling him he was "finished." Probably wasn't trying to console him at the trials.

• Bob 1

The Brands brothers wrestled in Fargo twice.  In 1986 they were in different weights.  Tom was 4th at 56kg and Terry was 5th at 52kg.  The next year in 1987 they were both at 56kg with Terry placing 3rd and Tom 5th.  It's possible they lost to the same person one of those years.  Maybe Jason Bryant would know.  I think he wrote an almanac on Fargo history.