The Marketing of Wrestling Compared with Swimming During Olympic Years

18 minutes ago, fatlaz said:

I agree that they shouldn't just put the camera on the discus ring and broadcast it, but they could clip together more than one throw.

That was what the individual event streams were for:  put the camera on the discus ring or the long jump runway(s) and stream it.

The other problem with the field events,  like wrestling, is that there is no set schedule as to when the individual athlete will perform. 

That doesn't seem to be a problem for, say, women's gymnastics.

As it is topical:

Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone is on a different level.

Also: the top 8 of the women’s 1500m all ran PBs in the final. Bonkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Bob 2

Also: Hobbs Kessler became the first American man to qualify for the 800/1500 combo since 1976.

The number of people who attempt this is very, very small. The events are different enough that the guys at the very pointy end are pretty specialized. He’s only 21, too.

I’m guessing this has been said, but could it also be the simple fact that most people have swam in their lives and can relate whereas most people have never wrestled even just around the house?

10 hours ago, Le duke said:

As it is topical:

Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone is on a different level.

Also: the top 8 of the women’s 1500m all ran PBs in the final. Bonkers.

In the women's pole vault, Brynn King passes *two* heights, and on her first attempt at a height she'd never made clears the bar, sets a PR, meets the Olympic standard, and moves from eighth place to third place and makes the Olympic team.

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

I’m guessing this has been said, but could it also be the simple fact that most people have swam in their lives and can relate whereas most people have never wrestled even just around the house?

Exactly. Most people aren't experienced with wrestling or combat. And many of those that are into combat prefer striking. Plus with swimming you know what you're getting - people racing in the pool. With wrestling it could be exciting or boring, there could be throws or pins or stalling. Same with gymnastics - most people haven't done it, but you know what you're getting. It's easy to absorb for the casual viewer.

If Olympic wrestling included some kind of exhibition event where the athletes demonstrate certain moves, that could actually bring in the casual viewer. That's exactly what swimming and gymnastics are doing - demonstrating the sport. There's so many cool moves in wrestling that are hard to pull off, and so a wrestling match may or may not demonstrate anything interesting.

Edited by alex1fly