Duke, Blaze Lockett

Blaze has the best wins imo, but looks to me like he would wrestle up a weight class or two in college. Lots of room for him to fill out. 

Duke destroyed a tough bracket full of guys to make the U20 team. 

23 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

Marcus blaze over the last 18 months has wrestled 

Anthony knox twice

Jax Forrest twice

Ben Davino three times

Nick suriano

Nico Megaludis

Nasir Bailey

Luke Lilledahl 

Leo Deluca twice

Jordyn Rayney once

Brayden Palmer on a one day weigh in 12 hours after the weigh in (he was probably 140+)

Im probably missing some. Of all those matches hes been takedown 4 times once by forrest, once by palmer, once by davino and once by suriano.

I think hes a 133/141 and college but his defense is probably the best ive ever seen and hes developed into a really good leg attacker on top of having a really good slide bide and go behind. I think Duke is also absolutely unreal but in terms of nitpicking he seems to let guys in a bit more often and his gas tank is a little suspect to me. All that being said I think Blaze has a really good shot at being a 4x champ not that you can really predict that but his resume is just unreal to me.

Throw in Matt Ramos and Nico Megaludis for Blaze.  Its an amazing resume.

Duke is the toughest to judge.  His wins aren't as impressive as Lockett/Blaze, but he doesn't have any recent losses either.

Since we're talking folk, and who you want for your program, I'd probably put them Duke, Blaze, Lockett.  

Lockett has excelled in freestyle but has his share of losses in folk. He'll be a beast though.

Similarly, Blaze is going to be a 4x AA, but I don't think the wins will come as easy in folk as they do in free.  He wrestles guys really close and his offensive output is limited. His airtight defense will secure more wins in free than it will in folk, where guys can beat you on escapes and riding time.  His weight class is also apt to be deeper.

Duke's style is great for folk though.  High offensive output, varied attacks, strong as an ox, won't be bullied on top/bottom.  Will score a ton of bonus at NCAAs and very few who can go with him.  Granted, I'm relying more on an "eye test" for this assessment than results, but I don't think I'm making much of a leap.

Or to put it differently, if you put a gun to my head and said "who would score the most points at NCAAs over 4 years of these three guys," I'd have it Duke-Blaze-Lockett.

• Bob 1

3 minutes ago, BAC said:

Throw in Matt Ramos and Nico Megaludis for Blaze.  Its an amazing resume.

Duke is the toughest to judge.  His wins aren't as impressive as Lockett/Blaze, but he doesn't have any recent losses either.

Since we're talking folk, and who you want for your program, I'd probably put them Duke, Blaze, Lockett.  

Lockett has excelled in freestyle but has his share of losses in folk. He'll be a beast though.

Similarly, Blaze is going to be a 4x AA, but I don't think the wins will come as easy in folk as they do in free.  He wrestles guys really close and his offensive output is limited. His airtight defense will secure more wins in free than it will in folk, where guys can beat you on escapes and riding time.  His weight class is also apt to be deeper.

Duke's style is great for folk though.  High offensive output, varied attacks, strong as an ox, won't be bullied on top/bottom.  Will score a ton of bonus at NCAAs and very few who can go with him.  Granted, I'm relying more on an "eye test" for this assessment than results, but I don't think I'm making much of a leap.

Or to put it differently, if you put a gun to my head and said "who would score the most points at NCAAs over 4 years of these three guys," I'd have it Duke-Blaze-Lockett.

Because of Dukes judo style that translates so much to his wrestling he's a really hard guy to comp to anyone. I love that he has a multitude of ways to score. I think its easier to prop up Dee and blaze because of their wins but I can't discount duke for lack of opportunity which I feel like I do subconsciously. I do think blazes offense has progressed quite a bit over the last year now that his knee issues are sorted out and I expect that to continue. The stat that always floors me is that he wrestles D1 in ohio and has gone to three iron mans without giving up a takedown during his entire high school in season career. The talent of the 2025 and 2026 classes is just something we may not seen replicated for a very long time you have these 3 and then Ross,Bassett forrest for 2026 as well as the Rayney brothers who I would drop a tier but are still incredible. If you told me any of those 6 guys were going to start a collegiate season tomorrow I would probably bet on all of them to be 4x AA's.

• Bob 3

Being as an actual victory by one over the other in this discussion happened, it should be taken in to consideration, yeah?

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Posted (edited)

Penn State has 4 wrestlers either on their roster or incoming that have beaten LaDarion Lockett. 

PJ Duke,  plus Sealey, Henckel and Messenbrink have also beaten him.

Edited by Pinnacle
  • Fire 1

37 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Being as an actual victory by one over the other in this discussion happened, it should be taken in to consideration, yeah?

I think PJ went up for this too, he was ranked 1 at 138 before this match happened at 150 I believe.

• Bob 1

21 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Penn State has 4 wrestlers either on their roster or incoming that have beaten LaDarion Lockett. 

PJ Duke,  plus Sealey, Henckel and Messenbrink have also beaten him.

when Henckel grows into that frame, he's going to be a freak. He is already super good I don't know that he's a guy you plug in as a true freshman but after his last year of HS and a red shirt I think he's going to contend immediately at either 184 or 197. The issue he is going to have will be what happens between him/Barr/Mirasola. Mirasola is going to do whatever he wants I think he may be carters toughest match at 197 this year if PK does not go up but Henckel Barr in two years' time will be super interesting.

• Bob 1

when Henckel grows into that frame, he's going to be a freak. He is already super good I don't know that he's a guy you plug in as a true freshman but after his last year of HS and a red shirt I think he's going to contend immediately at either 184 or 197. The issue he is going to have will be what happens between him/Barr/Mirasola. Mirasola is going to do whatever he wants I think he may be carters toughest match at 197 this year if PK does not go up but Henckel Barr in two years' time will be super interesting.

Wee little Cunningham is going to be a lot bigger than Dad and have his mom’s strength.

Penn State is going to have 2nd and 3rd string guys that would start at every other school in the country, riding the pine at 174/184/197.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Wee little Cunningham is going to be a lot bigger than Dad and have his mom’s strength.

Penn State is going to have 2nd and 3rd string guys that would start at every other school in the country, riding the pine at 174/184/197.

Cunningham could be very good but that is quite the projection to make from where he currently sits. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

16 hours ago, Gus said:

Cunningham could be very good but that is quite the projection to make from where he currently sits. 

Hes very very good on top and is tricky in scrambles he gets a lot of takedowns off of far ankle stuff. He does not really generate his own offense against better guys which will be something he needs to develop.

• Bob 1

21 hours ago, Le duke said:

Hopefully he is even stronger than a 106 lb woman!

5 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

found this today for anyone that has not seen it.

Looks a lot like this one, yeah? 🤣

On 6/5/2024 at 1:26 PM, nhs67 said:

• Brain 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me