David Taylor to Coach Oklahoma State???

35 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Never say never. Money has a way of talking. 

Cael already works for the team with the biggest warchest, but if you think someone has enough money to hire Cael away then good luck on that belief.  

44 minutes ago, fishbane said:

In the 80s Iowa was the premier program and they tried to hire Gable to replace Chesbro.  Doesn't seem like they even made an attempt or if they did Sanderson considered it less than Gable did.

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news/1984/03/23/paper-says-osu-casting-eye-at-gable/62809463007/

Yes.  That is what I agreed with.  PSU is the premiere program and nobody has the money to match them.  

2 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Cael already works for the team with the biggest warchest, but if you think someone has enough money to hire Cael away then good luck on that belief.  

Exactly… if someone tried to buy Cael away, I guarantee Penn state would match any amount to keep him

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Exactly… if someone tried to buy Cael away, I guarantee Penn state would match any amount to keep him

i would refine that statement a bit. "PSU's" warchest is a function of eccentric donors not administrative decisions. I agree that someone buying cael would be the equivalent of musk buying twitter, but its not Penn state who they would be bidding against.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

8 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Yes.  That is what I agreed with.  PSU is the premiere program and nobody has the money to match them.  

Why did PSU of all places end up with the most money anyways?

I think OSU should hire Aaron Brooks instead 🙂 

In all seriousness, it’s worth the risk for a program to take a shot on one of our big name guys (DT, JB, Dake, Snyder). The only chance of overtaking Penn state is to lure in recruits with that type of star power. Obviously, they have to develop them too but that’s a chance you have to take. 

Sucks for Coleman, but I don’t think they could promise him anything. He knew he was taking a risk too and he was simply putting himself in the best position to potentially take over for Smith. If he loses out to someone like Taylor there’s no shame in that and some other program will be happy to have him. 

1 minute ago, pokemonster said:

Why did PSU of all places end up with the most money anyways?

heard they have one guy who puts in a lot. pretty sure iowa raises more via what you would call fundraising.

2 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I think OSU should hire Aaron Brooks instead 🙂 

In all seriousness, it’s worth the risk for a program to take a shot on one of our big name guys (DT, JB, Dake, Snyder). The only chance of overtaking Penn state is to lure in recruits with that type of star power. Obviously, they have to develop them too but that’s a chance you have to take. 

Sucks for Coleman, but I don’t think they could promise him anything. He knew he was taking a risk too and he was simply putting himself in the best position to potentially take over for Smith. If he loses out to someone like Taylor there’s no shame in that and some other program will be happy to have him. 

It the Taylor rumors are true then I do feel a lot of sympathy for Coleman Scott. Who knows, maybe Taylor will end up being like Mark Cody! OSU would feel pretty stupid if that happened, but OSU is used to feeling stupid 😄

• Clown 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ionel said:

And how much of that is for wrestling versus the off the books gold PSU has available?

I have no idea. I do know that OU doesn't give a damn about wrestling and they are just a few million behind PSU. Next year OU will surpass PSU though, OU will be getting SEC money next year.  Yet, OU wrestles in a barn (compared to any other D1 teams). But man, their football lockers have ballhair dryers, PS5s, bars, freezers, 75" TV sets, you name it. 

Edited by NM1965

5 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i would refine that statement a bit. "PSU's" warchest is a function of eccentric donors not administrative decisions. I agree that someone buying cael would be the equivalent of musk buying twitter, but its not Penn state who they would be bidding against.

True. 

5 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

PSU only has the 9th biggest "warchest". Ohio State has the biggest. 

https://www.on3.com/news/usa-today-releases-top-25-total-revenue-college-athletics-programs/

Its NLWC that has all the $

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

It the Taylor rumors are true then I do feel a lot of sympathy for Coleman Scott. Who knows, maybe Taylor will end up being like Mark Cody! OSU would feel pretty stupid if that happened, but OSU is used to feeling stupid 😄

I don’t think Mark Cody is a great example because he had a very successful coaching stint at American. But I get your point. Taylor could absolutely be a big bust as a coach. I think it’s pretty unlikely though and worth the risk. Winners win. The top 3 coaches I’ve seen in my lifetime are Cael, Gable, and Smith. The one thing they have in common is that they were all the biggest star wrestler of their time, and they all became head coaches early on.

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t think Mark Cody is a great example because he had a very successful coaching stint at American. But I get your point. Taylor could absolutely be a big bust as a coach. I think it’s pretty unlikely though and worth the risk. Winners win. The top 3 coaches I’ve seen in my lifetime are Cael, Gable, and Smith. The one thing they have in common is that they were all the biggest star wrestler of their time, and they all became head coaches early on.

I don’t mean to nitpick, I think Jrob deserves to be in this conversation

10 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I don’t mean to nitpick, I think Jrob deserves to be in this conversation

How so? He was nowhere near those other guys as a wrestler. Are you using him as an example of a guy who didn't have the greatest wrestler credentials being a successful coach, because he was certainly a successful coach. Different era though. 

3 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t think this is true if the number is ridiculous.  BWI posters were also commenting about how Cael had been unhappy with the pay of his assistants at one point, as well as the vax mandate apparently.   It doesn’t seem like it’s necessarily all sunshine and roses at PSU, although he supposedly likes their new AD much better than their last one.

As alluded to above, someone like JRob is hard to get into the conversation, but i don't think its because of his coaching quality.

Taylor's value as a coach is exaggerated by the aspects of college wrestling that aren't making the sport better (not his fault or a reflection on him). The importance of recruiting and NIL money make having a huge name as a head coach very important.

For instance, would you rather have Taylor or Cunningham? As a coaches coach, Cunningham is the obvious choice, as someone who needs to sit down across some big wig potentially get millions of dollars out of them, or someone who can show up in your living room and get whatever they want, its taylor. 

• Bob 1

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I don’t think this is true if the number is ridiculous.  BWI posters were also commenting about how Cael had been unhappy with the pay of his assistants at one point, as well as the vax mandate apparently.   It doesn’t seem like it’s necessarily all sunshine and roses at PSU, although he supposedly likes their new AD much better than their last one.

I think it's because the past AD was a woman and he's a well known misogynist. 

• Poopy 1

25 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

As far as sunshine and roses go, backstage is ugly EVERYWHERE, but i don't disagree at all, PSU doesn't have a financial hold on Cael.

I'm pretty sure I saw their AD at big tens and he loves that team. I thought he was a goofy dad until i realized he was engaging with every kid.

11 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

The current AD is a huge supporter of PSU wrestling.  Sandy Barbour was as well, I saw her at almost every home match and several away matches including B10's and Nats.   I never heard a negative word about Sandy in relation to wrestling.  People manufacture drama where there is none.  With the exception of Kennedy the staff has been relatively unchanged in a decade.  There must be a bit of sunshine since people go there and stay.  

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

The current AD is a huge supporter of PSU wrestling.  Sandy Barbour was as well, I saw her at almost every home match and several away matches including B10's and Nats.   I never heard a negative word about Sandy in relation to wrestling.  People manufacture drama where there is none.  With the exception of Kennedy the staff has been relatively unchanged in a decade.  There must be a bit of sunshine since people go there and stay.  

Its not that there is no drama, its that PSU's reputation is so sterling that if we could see Cael's run of the mill clashes with the admins people would run with them like the titanic just hit the iceberg.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

I think it's because the past AD was a woman and he's a well known misogynist. 

He is a Mormon. Women are basically property. If he makes it to the Celestial Kingdom as a God he will have many wives as Polygamy is the Order of Heaven.

Heber-C-Kimball-I-think-no-more-of-taking-another-wife-than-I-do-of-buying-a-cow.thumb.webp.eb34752f8a7241428e03be4e556e1310.webp

• Bob 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

How so? He was nowhere near those other guys as a wrestler. Are you using him as an example of a guy who didn't have the greatest wrestler credentials being a successful coach, because he was certainly a successful coach. Different era though. 

Yeah, that’s my bad, I thought we were just talking about coaching credentials.  Please excuse me while I go have a conversation with my reading comprehension teacher.

• Haha 1