Tom Ryan Involved In Automobile Accident

2 hours ago, Elevator said:

"broke his femur and had some breaks in and around his knee"

yikes - that is rough.  I am no physician, but some broken femurs cannot be casted and need a rod implanted.  Hoping this is not as bad as it sounds and he can make a quick recovery.

Wow thanks for the update Elevator.

On 4/23/2024 at 7:53 PM, flyingcement said:

No lie - I was hit in a hit and run today for the third time since moving to Los Angeles in 2016.  I am blessed though to be physically fine and I can only hope the same for Tom Ryan.  

Geez o man. So many questions here. Thanks for the reminder to stay out of LA. 

• Bob 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2024 at 5:53 PM, flyingcement said:

No lie - I was hit in a hit and run today for the third time since moving to Los Angeles in 2016.  I am blessed though to be physically fine and I can only hope the same for Tom Ryan.  

Where in LA? I lived in El Segundo for 7 years. 

16 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Where in LA? I lived in El Segundo for 7 years. 

No shit.  We are in Playa del Rey.  This took place close to El Segundo - just down the road on the 105.  

I like El Segundo - its a pretty wholesome place

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

No shit.  We are in Playa del Rey.  This took place close to El Segundo - just down the road on the 105.  

I like El Segundo - its a pretty wholesome place

El Segundo was decent. The pollution was terrible because it was between LAX and the oil refinery, but the town was pretty quiet compared to most of LA. Fantastic Cafe made the best, greasy-ass beef and cheese burritos ever. 

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

El Segundo was decent. The pollution was terrible because it was between LAX and the oil refinery, but the town was pretty quiet compared to most of LA. Fantastic Cafe made the best, greasy-ass beef and cheese burritos ever. 

Pollution is still bad here for those reasons.  I know Fantastic Cafe - but I didn't realize they had any options for me.  I'll have been vegan for nine years on May 31st.  In the old days though, that sounds like it has my name on it.  I still love greasy food - I only avoid animal products for ethical reasons - not for health.

• Bob 2

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Pollution is still bad here for those reasons.  I know Fantastic Cafe - but I didn't realize they had any options for me.  I'll have been vegan for nine years on May 31st.  In the old days though, that sounds like it has my name on it.  I still love greasy food - I only avoid animal products for ethical reasons - not for health.

A vegan still flip'n birds, when are you gonna give that up, haven't you already been in pastry purgatory for 30 days?  

You should've at least learned a valuable lesson:  never ever bet with a potato ... or a pastry!  

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1

On 4/25/2024 at 8:38 AM, Elevator said:

"broke his femur and had some breaks in and around his knee"

yikes - that is rough.  I am no physician, but some broken femurs cannot be casted and need a rod implanted.  Hoping this is not as bad as it sounds and he can make a quick recovery.

I broke mine. The WORST part was I couldn't put it in a cast or anything. I had to have people life up my leg(especially the first week or so) as I lowered myself onto the couch.

And...while this may sound funny, I assure you it was NOT, but try sitting on a toilet! I remember the only one I could get access to was one on the first floor of my house. There was a Washer on one side and a sink on the other and I had to be a damn Gymnast because I couldn't sit. 

I chipped a tooth just grinding my teeth, just...the most painful thing in my LIFE. No other injuries either, but you it's so hard to describe. You can't handle ANY pressure on that part of the leg and when you normally sit down, the seat is RIGHT on your femur. 

Even trying to get on the couch yourself...it's such an unsettling feeling. There's always a point where you go to sit down where the weight is on that part of your leg. 

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, pcostilow said:

Wrestling aside, I've always really enjoyed Tom Ryan's thoughts. He's humble and thoughtful, which are two qualities in short supply in the modern world, imo. 

Just now, ionel said:

That was a bad accident.  Surprised the emergency breaking system didn't kick in.  This is where adaptive cruise control really has value.

You can tell it's still hard for TR opening up about Teague all these years later. I'm glad he found solace. 

Here's to a speedy recovery Coach

• Bob 1

24 minutes ago, RandolphTJones said:

You can tell it's still hard for TR opening up about Teague all these years later. I'm glad he found solace. 

Here's to a speedy recovery Coach

You never get over that kind of loss, no answer to the why?  

• Bob 2

6 hours ago, RandolphTJones said:

A nice read on Tom Ryan's accident/recovery and working through previous family hardships.

Article by Nick Corey: https://ncorey.substack.com/p/tom-ryan-recovering-again

Randolph, thanks for sharing that man. That was a special read about a special guy. I would have been text message # 1801 with words of encouragement if I knew where to send it. 

• Bob 1