God Bless USA Bible - You Can't Make This Stuff Up

1 hour ago, jross said:

The bible says that Christians should obey man's law unless it conflicts with biblical (God's word) law. Christians should pay the government its taxes for example.  Said differently, Christians should obey God rather than human beings.  During the civil rights movement, Christians peacefully protested segregation laws and discrimination, inspired by God... even though the actions were in conflict with the governement.

My criticism there is that the bible states there is divine origin of governmental authority and calls for submission to it. It is hard to fathom that Biden and Trump have divine origin of authority.

But also used that same fiction to preach to slaves to obey your masters even the cruel ones. 

Twisting yourself into a pretzel to make excuses for a being that should've seen all this coming and either didn't or chose to ignore it should make you question any/all of it. 

Then you're gonna say, 'but free will'.  To which I will ask, 'which person, that has a financial stake in you retaining your faith, told you that?' 

1 hour ago, jross said:

Because it does not teach what they believe needs taught.

They can't prove that 'what they believe needs taught' is real. Where as the more we learn about the world/universe makes the gap that their friend lives in, smaller and smaller. Thus harder and harder to convince themselves that what they've wasted their time with is worth spending more time. 

Sunken cost can wreck your day. 

3 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Yes. You were convinced of it as a child by people you trusted to lead you. Like Santa. But rather than casting that belief aside when kids around you started coming to their senses. You probably kept going to church or wherever and having the belief/faith reinforced. Also that your parents could not possibly be wrong about THIS because they are so smart and in charge and if you disagree with them there could be some bad ramifications. 

As kids we all picked up on the things we just shouldn't ask about. Getting spanked will do that. 

Now the sunken cost has kicked in and to question it now would mean unwinding a whole lot of stuff that you would rather not. Calling into question loved ones and the trauma that might bring up. So instead you decide to fight against it despite an itch in your mind that you probably don't have a leg to stand on. 

BTW, faith is what you say when you don't have a good reason or you'd just say the reason. 

No. Faith is what I believe and science has yet to prove its wrong. 

• Brain 1

1 minute ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

They can't prove that 'what they believe needs taught' is real. Where as the more we learn about the world/universe makes the gap that their friend lives in, smaller and smaller. Thus harder and harder to convince themselves that what they've wasted their time with is worth spending more time. 

Sunken cost can wreck your day. 

Nor can you prove it isn’t real.  

10 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

But also used that same fiction to preach to slaves to obey your masters even the cruel ones. 

Twisting yourself into a pretzel to make excuses for a being that should've seen all this coming and either didn't or chose to ignore it should make you question any/all of it. 

Then you're gonna say, 'but free will'.  To which I will ask, 'which person, that has a financial stake in you retaining your faith, told you that?' 

You can believe in God without a religion that has a financial stake in retaining your faith.  Same thing you do with the Democratic Party.  You believe they can do no wrong and give them nothing financially.  

1 minute ago, JimmyBT said:

You can believe in God without a religion that has a financial stake in retaining your faith.  Same thing you do with the Democratic Party.  You believe they can do no wrong and give them nothing financially.  

This is someone desperately trying to convince themselves that what they were told is true despite the lack of evidence to support it. 

Just now, ThreePointTakedown said:

This is someone desperately trying to convince themselves that what they were told is true despite the lack of evidence to support it. 

Still waiting for the evidence that there isn’t.   Please show me more than an opinion 

A thing that no one has seen, smelt, tasted, or touched is real. But goes to another school. And if you can't prove that the thing that no one can see, taste, smell, or touch doesn't exist then I am perfectly rational to believe all the horrible things it tells me to do and to say. 

1 minute ago, JimmyBT said:

YOU made the claim.  Sooooooooooooooo

Which claim was that? 

That your religion is fictional? That is true and the default position of all things that haven't been proven to be real. 

Lots of work left for you to do. 

Just now, ThreePointTakedown said:

Which claim was that? 

That your religion is fictional? That is true and the default position of all things that haven't been proven to be real. 

Lots of work left for you to do. 

What religion do I have ????? 

3 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Tell me one good thing that book advocates for that couldn't be found in another book? 

Also, would that book also have the bits about slavery and stoning and rape and incest and genocide? If I had to guess, no. 

If we can find the same message in any other book of fiction. Why not read that one so as to not have to deal with the other, incredibly immoral parts?

Because to continually advocate for the reliance of the book or its message you are tacitly agreeing with the other parts. 

I like the questions you ask when you want real answers.  You did not answer my questions about OT/NT knowledge and have ignored answers I carefully provided just for you.  You are not listening.  The Old Testament reflects the cultural and historical context of ancient Israel and the surrounding area, which one needs to understand to then comprehend the New Testament.  To apply the Old Testament to Christian behavior is to take someone's words out of context, much like today's politics.

There are plenty of books with good insights.  I'm not a fan of the Old Testament overall and I have a shelves full of inspirational, philophosy, religious, business, leadership, self-help biographies, DIY, fiction, and so on.  I read often!  OT Proverbs, OT 10 Commandments, and NT has some of the best wisdom collected that I've ever seen.  Knowledge of the Old Testament context, with application of the Golden Rule, allows me to keep the baby and drain the bath water.  

36 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Samesies! 

Your biblical opinions and thoughts on Christian holds more weight if you have read it and understand the context.  You have not answered directly if you have read it but your skirting responses say nope.  The bible calls me a fool because I don't love god with all my heart.  It calls you a fool for not listening, not understanding, and having too much pride to answer 'nope.'  It says we're both fools for lacking self control in responses.

• Bob 1

40 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Huh?  What is twisted into a pretzel?  Excuses for what?  The NT doesn't support slavery.  I have no idea what understanding you have but it isn't biblical.

31 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

We're not discussing teapots.  At the end of the scientific rainbow, where did nothing come from?  Both Science and Religion require faith to answer that question.  

The root here is that TPT is saying that there is no wisdom found in the NT or OT that cannot be found elsewhere.   That would be correct.   But there are more pearls of wisdom for happy living in the OT and NT (especially NT) than in many other books.   They are more dense with these things than many other books.  Hence I think that JRoss finds them worthy of consideration, if not from a theological standpoint, from a right living standpoint that will lead to more happiness than not.    

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1

Yes ^^^

...and the New Testament Christian theology is themed around love and forgiveness.  People evolve slowly... and there are reasons people in the the USA have better rights than other countries... A Christian majority is one of those reasons.