Univ. at Buffalo parts ways with Stutzman

1 hour ago, Lordnelson said:

Oklahoma has been amazing since Cody left.  I'll never understand the vitriol.  They hired him to clean up their program, he does that, punches through multiple AA's and NC, and he still the "worst" on this board.  

Regardless, when Buffalo parted ways with Beichner Buffalo consistently had guys ranked in the top 20 and competing for AA.  Since Stutzman's hire, they have slowly taken a downturn.  9 guys in the portal last year, all underclassmen.  Enough said.  Binghamton almost shut them out this year.

While I agree he was a great hire on paper coming from Bloomsburg where he was making some noise, he hasn't really done enough to warrant locking him in for another contract.  Buffalo can do better with the right hire.

This has been my sentiments as well over the years...

20 hours ago, Lordnelson said:

Oklahoma has been amazing since Cody left.  I'll never understand the vitriol.  They hired him to clean up their program, he does that, punches through multiple AA's and NC, and he still the "worst" on this board.  

Regardless, when Buffalo parted ways with Beichner Buffalo consistently had guys ranked in the top 20 and competing for AA.  Since Stutzman's hire, they have slowly taken a downturn.  9 guys in the portal last year, all underclassmen.  Enough said.  Binghamton almost shut them out this year.

While I agree he was a great hire on paper coming from Bloomsburg where he was making some noise, he hasn't really done enough to warrant locking him in for another contract.  Buffalo can do better with the right hire.

Not sure people think he's the worst. Just an unlucky/lucky series of events that led to wrong/less than ideal decisions being made. 

He flies under the radar at AU. Puts together a few good individuals. Puts a few on the same team at the same time. They punch through for 5th. All while the coach at OU is on his way out. Could not have happened at a 'better' time for Cody. But turns out his style doesn't translate to a larger program with a bigger spot light on it. Not that he's a bad guy or bad coach. Just didn't fit the situation at the time. 

5 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

https://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu/postings/49390

Job listed as salary range SL4, meaning a range from $62k - $119k. Deadline for external applicants is 4/30.

Also important, if interested reach out to Heather Cooper, Assistant AD for HR, pronouns she/her/hers.

Whoops I was off one on the job listing.  There are two salary schedules on the UB website (link) that have an SL4.  One is the UUP Professional and the other is the UUP Professional College.  The Professional College SL4($50,862-$97,012) is a bit lower than the Professional SL4 ($60,773-$116,187) for 2023-24.  Both are a little lower than your quoted range.  

This job just had "competitive" for the range which was different from the other professional job listings I looked at.  I think the new NYS transparency law only applies to private employers, so they may not be required to give a range.

Edited by fishbane

23 hours ago, Lordnelson said:

One the many problems for OU is the success that OSU continues to have. OU will have some AA's and the occasional champ, but the glory days are no more. I thought Lou was going to bring them back, but talking trash about the kids from Oklahoma wasn't well received.

Cody spent too much money. Taking the team, staff, and spouses, to Hawaii for a double dual. 

I hope Kish has a better go at it. He was able to bring DJ Parker who was an IL State Champ and Fargo Champ, so the future looks bright.  🤞

Edited by TexRef
Typo

3 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Not sure people think he's the worst. Just an unlucky/lucky series of events that led to wrong/less than ideal decisions being made. 

He flies under the radar at AU. Puts together a few good individuals. Puts a few on the same team at the same time. They punch through for 5th. All while the coach at OU is on his way out. Could not have happened at a 'better' time for Cody. But turns out his style doesn't translate to a larger program with a bigger spot light on it. Not that he's a bad guy or bad coach. Just didn't fit the situation at the time. 

Sure, if you think so.  Explain one thing that has improved since they parted ways.

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

One the many problems for OU is the success that OSU continues to have. OU will have some AA's and the occasional champ, but the glory days are no more. I thought Lou was going to bring them back, but talking trash about the kids from Oklahoma wasn't well received.

Cody spent too much money. Taking the team, staff, and spouses, to Hawaii for a double dual. 

I hope Kish has a better go at it. He was able to bring DJ Parker who was an IL State Champ and Fargo Champ, so the future looks bright.  🤞

Have you seen the 10 most expensive programs in the country per this season?

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, fishbane said:

Whoops I was off one on the job listing.  There are two salary schedules on the UB website (link) that have an SL4.  One is the UUP Professional and the other is the UUP Professional College.  The Professional College SL4($50,862-$97,012) is a bit lower than the Professional SL4 ($60,773-$116,187) for 2023-24.  Both are a little lower than your quoted range.  

This job just had "competitive" for the range which was different from the other professional job listings I looked at.  I think the new NYS transparency law only applies to private employers, so they may not be required to give a range.

In 2024's current economy, paying a D1 Coach under 100,000 a year and expecting measurable success is really burying your head in the administrative sand.

When Brockport listed their coach's position a few years ago, it was a stipend, like 17,000.  Embarrassing for a program that has won National Titles and operates under NYS Ed Aid.  

Onondaga Community College in Syracuse created and listed a Coaching position for their new "programs" for an embarrassing stipend as well, which included coaching both Men's and Women's wrestling. 

• Brain 1

27 minutes ago, Lordnelson said:

In 2024's current economy, paying a D1 Coach under 100,000 a year and expecting measurable success is really burying your head in the administrative sand.

When Brockport listed their coach's position a few years ago, it was a stipend, like 17,000.  Embarrassing for a program that has won National Titles and operates under NYS Ed Aid.  

Onondaga Community College in Syracuse created and listed a Coaching position for their new "programs" for an embarrassing stipend as well, which included coaching both Men's and Women's wrestling. 

Well the Brockport position is open again and it has a listed minimum salary of $60,773. (https://careers.pageuppeople.com/788/cw/en-us/job/496823/head-wrestling-coach-fulltime

Your aren't going to persuade anyone to move to Brockport, NY for $20k/year, but a lot of coaching jobs in D3 are like this.  They are considered part time positions and they can only really get someone who already lives/works in the area and has another job to do it long term.  Some coaches have full time jobs but have to teach activities/gym classes or do something else in addition to coaching.  Brockport's former coach Murray had a pretty nice gig as far a D3 wrestling goes.  He was also a professor of physical education, so he taught a couple classes/semester and coached.  It was a full time position and he had been there for 50 years.  He was paid $130k and was among the top 30 earners at the college.

I am sure community colleges kind of view sports coaches like they do part time faculty.  It's a part time position like teaching a single class.  Might be around $10k.

1 hour ago, Lordnelson said:

Sure, if you think so.  Explain one thing that has improved since they parted ways.

Don't need to. Admin saw the benefit in cutting ties. That they haven't gotten it right yet doesn't mean they shouldn't have still made the move. 

I get you're not hating on the guy but you've made the point that "his style doesn't translate there".  Supporting the fact that Admin cut ties "may have been the right move" is really a nothing point.

He was there 3 seasons and it's been 8 years since he left.  He was brought in under the guise of cleaning up their optics. 

Meanwhile they were top 10, had 10 All Americans and two National Champs under him.  So his style of winning clearly doesn't fit what Oklahoma wanted.  

Whatever, I'll never understand what world OU fans live in and why they had to get rid of Cody.  To me it just looks like over meddling alum trying to bend rules and Cody wasn't having it.  I remember a bunch of them freaking out over Caldwell transferring.   

I guess I'm just nuts here.     

Notable to include the support system that surrounds programs.  RTC's are a big one, and the biggest prior to the mystery of NIL.

I took these snapshots from @afellars01 on Twitter.  I believe he FOI'd the information.  The University v RTC v NIL support system tells the story of the programs as a whole.

You could logically deduce that OU is a great place to coach because of the support given directly by the University.  

You could could also logically draw a conclusion that Oklahoma Schools are way off the mark in using multiple avenues to support their athletes and are still coaching in the 1990's.  Cornell is doing more than 2.5x in budget yearly than the Oklahoma RTC.  They have no scholarships, IVY League Education, and give aid on Financial need with very little NIL support.  

A look into this information may give you a clue as to why Cael was for NCAA regulation on NIL, he cornered the RTC market.  

• Fire 1