Is this supposed to be funny? It's sad.

38 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

What match was that in???

Ugghh. It's neither the Olympics nor the Grand Masters. I can't find it. I'm starting to think I imagined it. Maybe somebody can help. Where quick_single when you need him?

5 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

The price tag still on the sleeve 😂  

If only AJ understood the difference between people laughing with him vs. people laughing at him

I’m pretty sure he’s not going for the one you think he should be.  

• Bob 1

15 hours ago, Greenwave said:

That’s who the Brands hitched their wagon with.   hopefully the AD sees through their fake glasses.   The train has left the station. 

Im not sure if you've been following whats been going on or not but they're not at Iowa. The train never left the station (or whatever that means). 

21 hours ago, jackwebster said:

Ugghh. It's neither the Olympics nor the Grand Masters. I can't find it. I'm starting to think I imagined it. Maybe somebody can help. Where quick_single when you need him?

I tried to find it myself ......Smith did lose to him at I believe the Cerra Palado tournament, so I just assumed that's where it happened.  I have a lot of wrestling in my video library, but wouldn't know where to look.

On 3/27/2024 at 7:03 PM, Fadzaev2 said:

Was it Cerra Pelado??

I saw the match online. In the vid, JS was shooting toward the viewer at the dude's left leg. Reinoso, or whoever it was, moves his left leg to the right until he and JS are facing the camera. Then, the Cuban sorta squats on him. JS ends up losing the match. My memory is that the vid is in waay low def, like John Smith vs Alan Fried low def

It must be that match from 1990 at Cerro Pelado. . . and the vid is out there or lost in the interether . . . or it's time to go back to my shrink for a refill.

Edited by jackwebster
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I couldn't read that one before it kicked me out, but I think you are right: Wrestling With Himself : Olympic Champion John Smith Blocks Out Everything Else, Then Beats Everyone Else - Los Angeles Times
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-07-19-sp-4788-story.html

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

I couldn't read that one before it kicked me out, but I think you are right: Wrestling With Himself : Olympic Champion John Smith Blocks Out Everything Else, Then Beats Everyone Else - Los Angeles Times

Next time just use a 12 Foot Ladder. You can read the article a-ok.

https://12ft.io/https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1992-07-19-sp-4788-story.html

• Bob 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Im gonna go ahead and hijack this Ferrari thread. Apologies.

Re Smith and Reinoso: There is some debate about whether Smith held something back in the Olympic pool match bc he knew that the Cuban would have to pin him to advance. Watching the match, that seems possible. JS keeps getting stuck in the same position (like a Merkle) but doesn't seem that worried about trying something different. However, those interviews leading up to Barcelona make it hard to believe that he would ever concede a match, esp to Reinoso: 

“It’s the same way with that Cuban. Even today I think about this guy beating me. I think about it every time I see him, everywhere I go at world events. I look across at him and he can say he beat me. It just . . . just gives me stomachaches when I think about it. I mean, this guy got beat by a guy from Sri Lanka at the World Championships. Sri Lanka? Where’s Sri Lanka? Sri Lanka. And he beat me. A guy from Sri Lanka can’t even beat high school wrestlers from the USA. It just takes a little bit of you. I don’t think I’ll ever get over things like that.

3 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I believe John Fisher, who is mentioned in this article also has a win over Reinoso

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, jackwebster said:

Re Smith and Reinoso: There is some debate about whether Smith held something back in the Olympic pool match bc he knew that the Cuban would have to pin him to advance. Watching the match, that seems possible. JS keeps getting stuck in the same position (like a Merkle) but doesn't seem that worried about trying something different. However, those interviews leading up to Barcelona make it hard to believe that he would ever concede a match, esp to Reinoso: 

“It’s the same way with that Cuban. Even today I think about this guy beating me. I think about it every time I see him, everywhere I go at world events. I look across at him and he can say he beat me. It just . . . just gives me stomachaches when I think about it. I mean, this guy got beat by a guy from Sri Lanka at the World Championships. Sri Lanka? Where’s Sri Lanka? Sri Lanka. And he beat me. A guy from Sri Lanka can’t even beat high school wrestlers from the USA. It just takes a little bit of you. I don’t think I’ll ever get over things like that.

I just want to hear Smith say “SSSsssri Lanka.”

Then throw a nonexistent brick he hallucinated just out of reflex. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jackwebster said:

I love this competitiveness and never letting go of a loss, probably not for mental health but I think it gives us mere mortals insight into the mind of a world class competitor. If I let losses eat at me like that I could never compete as I had a whole lot of losses to contend with, some very painful.  

I( reminds me of an article I read years ago about Bob Gibson, the great St Louis Cardinal pitcher, who a reporter asked if he was over a world series games he pitched  and lost many years after he retired. Gibson got so mad at the reporter for asking what he considered  ridiculous question, as the the loss still hurt him every bit as bad as the day  happened