Shane Sparks and ESPN

Just want to give a few shout outs while I wait for quarters to begin.

First and foremost to my old friend Shane Sparks.  Love you Brother, love the passion and love the commitment to this sport!

Also, I want to thank ESPN.  My coverage has been incredible.  I do the matcast with Shane on TV and have individual mats up on the computer for matches of exceptional interest.   Have not made the trip to NCAA's in awhile and am very thankful to the ones responsible for bringing it to me.

Thank you!

Edited by Curt Foley
  • Fire 3

3 minutes ago, Curt Foley said:

Just want to give a few shout outs while I wait for quarters to begin.

First and foremost to my old friend Shane Sparks.  Love you Brother, love the passion and love the commitment to this sport!

Also, I want to thank ESPN.  My coverage has been incredible.  I do the matcast with Shane on TV and have individual mats up on the computer for matches of exceptional interest.   Have not made the trip to NCAA's in awhile and am very thankful to the ones responsible for bringing it to me.

Thank you!

Nothing but praise for Shane Sparks from me! Id be happy with him at the wheel making decisions about college wrestling at many levels.  ESPN can kiss my a**.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Nothing eye-opening in ESPN's coverage but if you want to give them clicks, there are a couple of wrestling articles on their website. No idea who Lexi Turnbow is.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/

I'm happy that WBB is gaining popularity but hope ESPN doesn't start phoning it in for wrestling. You can see that they're putting in a lot more resources into Women's March Madness/WBB.

55 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Nothing eye-opening in ESPN's coverage but if you want to give them clicks, there are a couple of wrestling articles on their website. No idea who Lexi Turnbow is.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/

I'm happy that WBB is gaining popularity but hope ESPN doesn't start phoning it in for wrestling. You can see that they're putting in a lot more resources into Women's March Madness/WBB.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39760069/ncaa-college-wrestling-championships-preview-storylines-wrestlers-watch

this is actually a solid article that they put a lot into.

these companies can make money on more sports than they do. They just lack the effort imo. 

• Bob 1

I say the same thing every year. I loathe ESPN but I love their national championship coverage. When I was a kid, I’d have to set a tape to record the finals that aired edited to fit 2 hours at 1 am. That’s all I got to watch. 

Now I can choose main coverage, watch all 8 mats simultaneously, or pick an individual mat. In my book, this coverage is insanely good and I couldn’t ask for more. 

• Wrestle 1

I love Shane Sparks. I know he's is not everyone's cup of tea but the guy genuinely loves wrestling and it shows when he's working. I cannot criticize a guy with as much passion as Shane has. He is my favorite wrestling commentator. 

• Brain 1
  • Fire 2
  • Wrestle 1

5 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

I love Shane Sparks. I know he's is not everyone's cup of tea but the guy genuinely loves wrestling and it shows when he's working. I cannot criticize a guy with as much passion as Shane has. He is my favorite wrestling commentator. 

aren't you still hammerlock3 using a burner?  or is this satire as part of the bit?

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

aren't you still hammerlock3 using a burner?  or is this satire as part of the bit?

I am not nor have I ever been Hammerlock3. This is my only handle on this board. If I was Hammerlock3 I would be a far better person and a more knowledgeable message board poster but sadly I am just one of the JimmyCinnabons. 

Edited by JimmyCinnabon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Boom, agree 100%.  Best thing you ever wrote, Jimmy.

He reminds me of the guy you bring to their first wrestling match who never wrestled before, who ends up LOVING it and getting REALLY into it, and now he won't shut up about it, which is both amusing and awesome at the same time.  Yes, his understanding of what's going on may be a bit off at times, but his passion is absolutely genuine and totally infectious.  And there's no denying he does his homework, EVERY time.

The sport is lucky to have some really top-shelf broadcasters right now, and he's one of them.  And when you're trying to join the sport, he brings an authenticity and relatability that no one really can match.

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, Rassling said:

Nothing but praise for Shane Sparks from me! Id be happy with him at the wheel making decisions about college wrestling at many levels.  ESPN can kiss my a**.

He's great. He'd be SO much better if he juuuuust said "resliate" a little less. Some asshole pointed this out to me and now it's all I hear!

But Sparks is great. Love the enthusiasm and knowledge of the sport.

• Bob 1

59 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I thought it was kinda funny but nice that ESPN did a little appreciation segment on wrestling moms. Maybe an atonement for putting Mrs. Lee  on camera last year.

That's one of my favorite wrestling moments.  Maybe a touch embarrassing for her at the time, but come on -- that's what being a wrestling mom IS all about.  The vast majority would crumple up their glasses in a tiny ball if their kid lost a big match.  Mrs. Lee should wear that moment like a badge of honor.

• Bob 1

1 hour ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I thought it was kinda funny but nice that ESPN did a little appreciation segment on wrestling moms. Maybe an atonement for putting Mrs. Lee  on camera last year.

Wow I wish I saw that. Zooming in on family after a win is something I always look forward to!