Active NCAA wrestlers born in the 1900s

peanut

After studying the TikToks, I learned that some of the youths are revolted at the idea that people who walk among us were born in the 1900s.

I guess I can see that, given that the typical college freshman was born in late 2004 or 2005. That means they remember virtually nothing that happened before 2010 or so.

But then it got me thinking. Are there any active NCAA wrestlers who were born in the 1900s? I’m guessing there are few “seasoned” stragglers out there. 

Among others: 

Daton Duain Fix is an American freestyle and folkstyle wrestler who competes internationally at 61 kilograms, and collegiately at 133 pounds. Wikipedia
Born: 1998 (age 26 years), Sand Springs, OK
Height: 5′ 4″
Parents: Derek Fix, Stacee Fix
College team: Oklahoma State Cowboys
  • Bob 1

Vitali Orujov is an American freestyle and folkstyle wrestler who competes at 61 kilograms. In freestyle, he is the reigning World Champion, as well as a two-time Pan-American gold medalist and the 2023 US National champion. Wikipedia
Born: 1999 (age 24 years), Gomel, Belarus
Parents: Vugar Orujov
Height: 5′ 7″
Weight: 133 lbs
Education: Syosset High School
Nationality: American
Club: Spartan Combat Wrestling Club; Titan Mercury Wrestling Club
  • Bob 1

My guess is a few of these guys may have been born in the late 1990's, but don't have time to look it up:

Shane Griffith

Real Woods

Yonger Batisda

Austin Gomez

Brody Teske

Mekhi Lewis

Tanner Sloan

Bernie Truax

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Anthony Echemendia.

Correct:  

Anthony Luis Echemendía Orduña is a Cuban freestyle and folkstyle wrestler. A two-time Cuban National medalist in freestyle, Echemendia was the 2024 Big 12 Conference champion out of the Iowa State University, and is currently the fifth-ranked wrestler at 141 pounds. Wikipedia
Born: 1999 (age 24 years), Cabaiguan, Cuba
Height: 5′ 6″
Weight: 141 lbs
College team: Cyclones
Weight class: 141 lb (64 kg)

3 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Correct:  

Anthony Luis Echemendía Orduña is a Cuban freestyle and folkstyle wrestler. A two-time Cuban National medalist in freestyle, Echemendia was the 2024 Big 12 Conference champion out of the Iowa State University, and is currently the fifth-ranked wrestler at 141 pounds. Wikipedia
Born: 1999 (age 24 years), Cabaiguan, Cuba
Height: 5′ 6″
Weight: 141 lbs
College team: Cyclones
Weight class: 141 lb (64 kg)

Correct, except for the info on the Cyclones Bio.

38 minutes ago, peanut said:

After studying the TikToks, I learned that some of the youths are revolted at the idea that people who walk among us were born in the 1900s.

I guess I can see that, given that the typical college freshman was born in late 2004 or 2005. That means they remember virtually nothing that happened before 2010 or so.

But then it got me thinking. Are there any active NCAA wrestlers who were born in the 1900s? I’m guessing there are few “seasoned” stragglers out there. 

While we are at it are there in posters, beside IaW, born prior to the 1900s?  

Edited by ionel
  • Bob 2

1 hour ago, SocraTease said:
Vitali Orujov is an American freestyle and folkstyle wrestler who competes at 61 kilograms. In freestyle, he is the reigning World Champion, as well as a two-time Pan-American gold medalist and the 2023 US National champion. Wikipedia
Born: 1999 (age 24 years), Gomel, Belarus
Parents: Vugar Orujov
Height: 5′ 7″
Weight: 133 lbs
Education: Syosset High School
Nationality: American
Club: Spartan Combat Wrestling Club; Titan Mercury Wrestling Club

had no clue he was born in Belarus.  I went there once by accident, but was deported after they held me in the train station detainment cell.

• Bob 2

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

had no clue he was born in Belarus.  I went there once by accident, but was deported after they held me in the train station detainment cell.

Fly booking the train from London to Belgium ends up in Belarus.  🤔

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wrestle 1

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Fly booking the train from London to Belgium ends up in Belarus.  🤔

was actually a train from Warsaw to Vilnius, but since I don't speak Polish, I didn't catch what she was saying when I bought the ticket.  

4 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

was actually a train from Warsaw to Vilnius, but since I don't speak Polish, I didn't catch what she was saying when I bought the ticket.  

eb47e95f-4583-4a41-95ef-860b34dcc0d2_tex

🙂

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1
  • Pirate 1

39 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Flew into Budapest with wife and two kids, meeting middle child in Prague.  First day train to Vienna, ticket window attendant no English.  I was telling him 4 tickets to Vienna showing 4 fingers (he mightve thought giving him the flock of birds).  Halfway to Vienna they come around to check tickets, only paid for 1, fortunately only wife & two kids wouldve been throw in the slammer cause I had one ticket.  Yes we were able to buy 3 on the train.  🙂

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SocraTease said:

My guess is a few of these guys may have been born in the late 1990's, but don't have time to look it up:

Bernie Truax

The guy wrestling for Penn State is actually Bernie Truax IV.  Bernie Truax the Original may have been born in the late 1800s.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, peanut said:

Stop listening to our music then and putting it on your Tik Face Gram posts. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

56 minutes ago, jdalu75 said:

The guy wrestling for Penn State is actually Bernie Truax IV.  Bernie Truax the Original may have been born in the late 1800s.

It was actually a misprint on his birth certificate, but he's actually Bernie Trua XIV - in which case the Trua family goes back many more centuries

4 hours ago, jdalu75 said:

I noticed Bernie has "IV" tattooed on one of his arms.   I thought it might be because he has finished 4th three times at NCAAs.  But maybe it is because he is the 4th Bernie in the family.   If he finishes 4th for a 4th time, there may be a reason to suspect a either a Conspiracy of a Gang of Four, or a Conspiracy of One: Bernie himself opting for consistency. 

• Bob 1

5 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I noticed Bernie has "IV" tattooed on one of his arms.   I thought it might be because he has finished 4th three times at NCAAs.  But maybe it is because he is the 4th Bernie in the family.   If he finishes 4th for a 4th time, there may be a reason to suspect a either a Conspiracy of a Gang of Four, or a Conspiracy of One: Bernie himself opting for consistency. 

Maybe he'll title his autobiography "I Am Fourth".

There are still a few guys from the 2017/2018 classes hanging around. I’d imagine they are all born in the 1990s. Guys like Mekhi Lewis and Feldkamp. Just look at those old recruiting rankings and you’ll get a good idea.