Most anticipated potential matches at NCAA’s?

35 minutes ago, JuanMogen said:

Angel Rivera v Penn State

Tom Brands v his blood pressure cuff

Aaron Brooks v a major religion and its 2 billion people. 

It's not Angel vs. Everyone?  Not sure he is well-loved by many.

I actually know him a little off the mat btw!

I will say, I have heard good referees talk about Angel's position and how well he moves on the mat FWIW.

9 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

It's not Angel vs. Everyone?  Not sure he is well-loved by many.

I actually know him a little off the mat btw!

I will say, I have heard good referees talk about Angel's position and how well he moves on the mat FWIW.

I never understood the hate

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

People who are emotionally invested in matches, and don't have a complete understanding of the rule and interpretation, don't like when someone who has a better knowledge of the sport (but no emotional investment) makes tough calls. This is especially true because Angel does mostly high stakes duals and 50+% of the audience is going to be unhappy with some of the the calls.

There is a reason why he continues to get the big matches and that is because he is consistently rated as high as just about anyone in the country on his application of the rules, mechanics, positioning, etc.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2

19 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Shapiro vs Lewan. I know, sounds weird but I want to see if anyone can get past his stout defense and make him fold a little

I think Shapiro will take him down in regulation. His style will get Lewan off balance. 

47 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I recently paid him a compliment somewhere. Said he was doing a damn good job. And he’s off the hook thanks to whomever hit Levi with stalling against Lewan. 

Having said that, I will continue to boo Angel whenever I get a chance. I choose to be this way. Thanks. 

40 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

People who are emotionally invested in matches, and don't have a complete understanding of the rule and interpretation, don't like when someone who has a better knowledge of the sport (but no emotional investment) makes tough calls. This is especially true because Angel does mostly high stakes duals and 50+% of the audience is going to be unhappy with some of the the calls.

There is a reason why he continues to get the big matches and that is because he is consistently rated as high as just about anyone in the country on his application of the rules, mechanics, positioning, etc.

He moves like a gazelle out there and has that smooth, even tan that makes me jealous. I’ll give him that. 

Can’t think of a specific example of him missing a call because I usually fall into a blind rage and blackout, so don’t ask. But he’s put up a couple on par with Levi v Lewan stall calls that have made me kick more than one hole in the drywall. And to my landlord - no, I will not patch that up. 

39 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And you are not going to share the tweet?

34ef505fb3d946b7e80a9238100853ba_normal.

@Coach_Manning
·
13h
In the 2017 Big Ten Wreslting seeding meeting, former Michigan head coach Joe McFarland and former head coach Barry Davis (both men, I have great respect for personally and professionally) asked PSU coaches “Is Nick Suriano wrestling?” Part 1

zkrOyaOM_bigger.jpg

This thread is not true. It’s actually funny. I still remember watching nick wrestle with Cael in the “Dojo”the day before weigh ins testing his ankle out in an attempt to wrestle. To call it “gamesmanship” is laughable

He did everything in his power to wrestle for the team but in the end decided not to. It was far from gamesmanship.

jqx-fdmx_bigger.jpg

One of the reasons I love Nick Suriano so much. Dude’s a dawg

34ef505fb3d946b7e80a9238100853ba_bigger.

Nick had broken his ankle and had no intention in competing in either tourney. This is what we’re dealing with in consideration to seeding and qualification spots. Part 4

A1wdmeTq_bigger.jpg

Not true.

Another case of someone spouting off about something they really don't know about. Sometimes it is better to just stay quiet instead of just throwing **** out there. 
Edited by Pinnacle

15 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

@Coach_Manning
·
13h
In the 2017 Big Ten Wreslting seeding meeting, former Michigan head coach Joe McFarland and former head coach Barry Davis (both men, I have great respect for personally and professionally) asked PSU coaches “Is Nick Suriano wrestling?” Part 1

zkrOyaOM_bigger.jpg

This thread is not true. It’s actually funny. I still remember watching nick wrestle with Cael in the “Dojo”the day before weigh ins testing his ankle out in an attempt to wrestle. To call it “gamesmanship” is laughable

He did everything in his power to wrestle for the team but in the end decided not to. It was far from gamesmanship.

jqx-fdmx_bigger.jpg

Nick had broken his ankle and had no intention in competing in either tourney. This is what we’re dealing with in consideration to seeding and qualification spots. Part 4

A1wdmeTq_bigger.jpg

Not true.

Is @jajensen09 his tweet ghost writer?

Besides, what are we even talking about? If Starocci pulls a Suriano, Wilson is still not in.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I think all of the 125 matchups once you get the quarterfinals and beyond will be fun to watch and hard to predict.  I think if you wrestle that bracket 10 times you have a different list of AA's each time.

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Is @jajensen09 his tweet ghost writer?

Besides, what are we even talking about? If Starocci pulls a Suriano, Wilson is still not in.

Starocci didn't prevent Wilson from qualifying, the fact that Wilson didn't wrestle better this year is what did that. Same as any other non qualifier in D1. 

Edited by Pinnacle

21 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

@Coach_Manning
·
13h

zkrOyaOM_bigger.jpg

jqx-fdmx_bigger.jpg

A1wdmeTq_bigger.jpg

Not true.

Another case of someone spouting off about something they really don't know about. Sometimes it is better to just stay quiet instead of just throwing **** out there. 

Why was this ill advised?  You can't criticize PSU or upset them, oh no!  Why did Suriano transfer out again, because Cael handled it perfectly??

Manning's point was the coaches he mentioned asked Cael at B1Gs if he was wrestling so they could seed appropriately and Cael was not truthful as he didn't have any intention of wrestling at B1Gs as he couldn't even go 2 weeks later at NCAAs.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yeah. I regularly see Angel doing Penn State and Iowa duals, and while I'm a huge PSU fan, I think Angel is one of the best referees in the game. It's pretty common to see both HVI and GIA ripping him, and I just don't get it. He's one of the most hi-vis people in wrestling and yet, still gets the call to do a LOT of big time, nationally televised events. I think he's doing about as good of a job as you could reasonably expect from a human being. 

Edited by Le duke
  • Bob 1

2 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Why was this ill advised?  You can't criticize PSU or upset them, oh no!  Why did Suriano transfer out again, because Cael handled it perfectly??

Manning's point was the coaches he mentioned asked Cael at B1Gs if he was wrestling so they could seed appropriately and Cael was not truthful as he didn't have any intention of wrestling at B1Gs as he couldn't even go 2 weeks later at NCAAs.

When you have three guys who were there telling him he's wrong, then he's wrong. They were there, he was not. 

3 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Starocci didn't prevent Wilson from qualifying, the fact that Wilson didn't wrestle better this year is what did that. Same as any other non qualifier in D1. 

True.  But Starocci not wrestling did have multi impacts on the NCAA Qualifiers. 

Bauwmann from Purdue got majored by Maylor then received the MFF.  Didn't win a match and is an NCAA qualifier not because of his wins but because of where he was placed in the bracket.

Sparks only beat DJ Washington (DJ didn't win a match all weekend), received the free pass to the semis, slid to 6th = qualifier.

And no question Brennan from Little Rock is an NCAA qualifier if Starocci competes as he says he was capable of.

6 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

I wonder if we'll see schools start sending their fringe qualifier type guys to more early and mid season tournaments in coming years. Reverse the trend of fewer matches and build up a resume and winning percentage. 

2 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

When you have three guys who were there telling him he's wrong, then he's wrong. They were there, he was not. 

He was wrong about what was said in the B1G coaches meeting (none of those 3 where there either)?  

Why did Nick transfer again?

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

True.  But Starocci not wrestling did have multi impacts on the NCAA Qualifiers. 

Bauwmann from Purdue got majored by Maylor then received the MFF.  Didn't win a match and is an NCAA qualifier not because of his wins but because of where he was placed in the bracket.

Sparks only beat DJ Washington (DJ didn't win a match all weekend), received the free pass to the semis, slid to 6th = qualifier.

And no question Brennan from Little Rock is an NCAA qualifier if Starocci competes as he says he was capable of.

Starocci took the mat and wrestled. He lost by inj default. He just did it in a way so as to 1) comply with qualifying requirements and 2) not further injure himself

I don't think Brennan will go thru life blaming Carter Starocci for his not qualifying when he could have done so on his own merit. 

12 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Starocci took the mat and wrestled. He lost by inj default. He just did it in a way so as to 1) comply with qualifying requirements and 2) not further injure himself

I don't think Brennan will go thru life blaming Carter Starocci for his not qualifying when he could have done so on his own merit. 

That was not wrestling.  It was legal, but he did not wrestle anyone. 

I'm not saying he did anything wrong, just pointing out it had (unintended) consequences.  You may be okay with the consequences or not care but that doesn't mean they were none. 

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

This. I don't really understand why people use this sort of logic in false outrage. They externalize everything as if they had no control of their own actions. 

Wilson can only blame Wilson for not qualifying. 

• Fire 1