Has Iowa Sat on Arnold because they knew the decision was gonna be based on plott match?

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

supporting his case is the fact that high school kids seem to be more ready every year. Remember when it used to be a big deal when a true freshmen made the finals?

Just like the other post, I totally agree with your general point but don't agree with it in this case based on what I've seen.  He looks small for 184, which is a strength weight, and although you can see huge potential (smart, technique, explosiveness) when he's wrestled, by the eye test he doesn't look like he's match sharp, particularly 5+ matches in three days against the best in the country sharp.  

8 minutes ago, dragit said:

Just like the other post, I totally agree with your general point but don't agree with it in this case based on what I've seen.  He looks small for 184, which is a strength weight, and although you can see huge potential (smart, technique, explosiveness) when he's wrestled, by the eye test he doesn't look like he's match sharp, particularly 5+ matches in three days against the best in the country sharp.  

to your point, if they thought he was that good they would have pulled him already, or at least that's a strong argument. 

Edited by Hammerlock3
  • Fire 1

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

19 minutes ago, dragit said:

to not your point, I think Arnolds style can handle bumping up. He's not that physical, pretty elusive but can stand his ground, picks his spots to wrestle pretty well...in my experience if you took an opposite style like Chittum, thats the type who suffers from bumping up. 

2 hours ago, Dogbone said:

Then why would the decision be his alone?   As @dragit mentioned there is no guarantee he AAs even if he keeps it close with Plott in the dual.  

I think he burns the shirt if he beats Plott.  If he does, then while it’s not guaranteed, he’d have a good shot at placing top 4.

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I think he burns the shirt if he beats Plott.  If he does, then while it’s not guaranteed, he’d have a good shot at placing top 4.

Plott is capable of majoring and pinning but I don't think so with Arnold, he will put up a tough match hence why I think he goes Sunday.

11 minutes ago, ionel said:

Plott is capable of majoring and pinning but I don't think so with Arnold, he will put up a tough match hence why I think he goes Sunday.

I don't think he's in there to save a team point, they've still got to get someone ready for the post season.

they wouldn't put him out if a win didn't guarantee him the spot.

3 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I don't think he's in there to save a team point, they've still got to get someone ready for the post season.

they wouldn't put him out if a win didn't guarantee him the spot.

Well he still might not go post season.  If Plott majors him and Iowa is thinking they are competing for 3rd with or without him then maybe they keep him in RS.  Sure if they were competing for fist every point counts and he might be in if they thought he could score 4 pts.  

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Well he still might not go post season.  If Plott majors him and Iowa is thinking they are competing for 3rd with or without him then maybe they keep him in RS.  Sure if they were competing for fist every point counts and he might be in if they thought he could score 4 pts.  

its possible, but I'm guessing they would give a point in a dual (especially during a pretty ugly season) over having him beating the #2 guy and getting flamed all off season for not putting a title contender in the lineup. 

When was the last time iowa didn't have a guy in the finals? 

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

its possible, but I'm guessing they would give a point in a dual (especially during a pretty ugly season) over having him beating the #2 guy and getting flamed all off season for not putting a title contender in the lineup. 

I think the streak goes back to 1990, most recently extended by Warner and Woods.  

5 hours ago, ionel said:

If Plott majors him, I can almost guarantee he stays in redshirt.  He likely stays in redshirt if he loses at all.

Even if he wins, he might stay in redshirt, but I’d guess he goes if he beats Plott.

5 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

4 hours ago, dragit said:

I think the streak goes back to 1990, most recently extended by Warner and Woods.  

Yeah just tried to check and looks like 1989 was the last time, ironically Tom Brands freshman year and Iowa only took 6th

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, 1032004 said:

It makes sense.  

I think I am just assuming if he is that good up a weight he could be a finalist contender at 174 (not beating Star, imo).

To say it another way, if they decided at the beginning of the year he was going to go, it would probably of been at 174 and to wait unit after the last dual to decide and do it up at 184 seems like an odd decision.    Especially considering Kennedy does not seem like a high AA threat at 174. 

I am not saying Iowa is doing anything wrong and Kennedy at 174 and Arnold at 184 is probably their best dual team, but I am not sure it is best for tournament scoring or for Arnold.  But if he wants to go, then more power to him. 

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

It makes sense.  

I think I am just assuming if he is that good up a weight he could be a finalist contender at 174 (not beating Star, imo).

To say it another way, if they decided at the beginning of the year he was going to go, it would probably of been at 174 and to wait unit after the last dual to decide and do it up at 184 seems like an odd decision.    Especially considering Kennedy does not seem like a high AA threat at 174. 

I am not saying Iowa is doing anything wrong and Kennedy at 174 and Arnold at 184 is probably their best dual team, but I am not sure it is best for tournament scoring or for Arnold.  But if he wants to go, then more power to him. 

174 is a little more top heavy to me.  I’d  be surprised if Arnold got higher than 4th at 174, I would not be surprised if he makes the finals at 184.  I do think Kennedy 174/Arnold 184 is their best tournament team, but I don’t get paid the big bucks.

• Fire 1