Kueter

11 minutes ago, Gus said:

He would need to put on about 80 pounds to be a Big 10 offensive tackle haha. 

yeah, that's the reason I said he wasn't big enough 😄 Those guys are humongous. 

Edited by NM1965
  • Fire 2

57 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

I don't think that kid is a good enough football player, or big enough, to realistically go to the NFL early. He may develop into an NFL prospect though, with time. Plus, I don't think there is much chance he ends up being a starter next year for the Hawkeyes in football, he's relatively puny for a lineman. 

Him being an "NFL Prospect" has been something that the WRESTLING community has talking about, frankly because we don't collectively understand the football side of things at all.

Is Keuter really good enough to be on an NFL track? 1.6% of NCAA football players go on to play pro.  

After a (very) cursory perusal of a few football sites, sounds a lot like our boy is a better wrestler than a football player.  

Honestly, if he were that good at football, he wouldn't even consider wrestling.  The economics for football success so outweigh what wrestling can offer, the fact that he's two sporting it kinda says everything.

And, realistically, we are in a time when the two sport thing doesn't work.  Two guys did it, and the BigTen network LOOOOVES the talking points, but Nutmasher and Keuter are extremely middle of the road right now.  AND, they are giving up at least 50% of their bandwidth to pursue both sports.

Now, maybe Hutmacher did it to slim down a bit as part of something strategic for football. 

But Keuter...this year at least, the dude is really a 197 who just isn't cutting weight.  If he's going to do football and give it a shot, I hope he does.  Because he's going to be missing out on a lot of skill development time, not just time in the room, but physical adaptation and CNS adaptation as well.  It's also 50% of the year that he's not building relationships with the guys on his team and the coaches too.

38 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Man, that seems kinda dicey. I'm not sure Keuter can finish that high and it would burn his RS. He's got potential, Brands should roll with somebody else and let Keuter keep the RS. 

Keep his RS for what?   After his senior season of football, even if he isn't good enough to get invited to the Combine, if he wants to make an NFL roster he will need to train for pro days, interview with NFL teams, sign as undrafted free agent, etc.

Unless he gives up on his NFL dreams, he won't be wrestling his RS senior year.

On 2/11/2024 at 10:15 AM, Idaho said:

He only has 3 matches so he can still keep the redshirt - correct?

If so, how many points will he realistically score at the NCAA to help Iowa? Is that number worth pulling the redshirt? 

Might as well use him if he’s going to get more point. If he has any shot at the NFL, I don’t see him wrestling all 4 years. 

1 hour ago, wrestle87 said:

Him being an "NFL Prospect" has been something that the WRESTLING community has talking about, frankly because we don't collectively understand the football side of things at all.

Is Keuter really good enough to be on an NFL track? 1.6% of NCAA football players go on to play pro.  

After a (very) cursory perusal of a few football sites, sounds a lot like our boy is a better wrestler than a football player.  

Honestly, if he were that good at football, he wouldn't even consider wrestling.  The economics for football success so outweigh what wrestling can offer, the fact that he's two sporting it kinda says everything.

And, realistically, we are in a time when the two sport thing doesn't work.  Two guys did it, and the BigTen network LOOOOVES the talking points, but Nutmasher and Keuter are extremely middle of the road right now.  AND, they are giving up at least 50% of their bandwidth to pursue both sports.

Now, maybe Hutmacher did it to slim down a bit as part of something strategic for football. 

But Keuter...this year at least, the dude is really a 197 who just isn't cutting weight.  If he's going to do football and give it a shot, I hope he does.  Because he's going to be missing out on a lot of skill development time, not just time in the room, but physical adaptation and CNS adaptation as well.  It's also 50% of the year that he's not building relationships with the guys on his team and the coaches too.

Sure, he’s probably “better” at wrestling considering he was a world champ.  You don’t have to be the best in the world to make an NFL roster.

If anything guys doing both seems to be more common now.  You also have Jimmy Mullen doing it at VT.

2 hours ago, Dogbone said:

Keep his RS for what?   After his senior season of football, even if he isn't good enough to get invited to the Combine, if he wants to make an NFL roster he will need to train for pro days, interview with NFL teams, sign as undrafted free agent, etc.

Keep his RS for wrestling, what else? He's not going to make it into the NFL anyway. Let's face it, if he was a top prospect in football with NFL dreams he probably wouldn't be going to Iowa, he'd get a lot more attention from NFL scouts playing for somebody like Alabama or Ohio State. No offense, Hawkeye fans, but your football team is usually pretty mediocre. 

2 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Hutmacher is an offensive lineman, right? Or am I wrong about him like I was Keuter? 

4 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Hutmacher is an offensive lineman, right? Or am I wrong about him like I was Keuter? 

You are wrong.  Hut is a defensive lineman.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

9 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Keep his RS for wrestling, what else? He's not going to make it into the NFL anyway. Let's face it, if he was a top prospect in football with NFL dreams he probably wouldn't be going to Iowa, he'd get a lot more attention from NFL scouts playing for somebody like Alabama or Ohio State. No offense, Hawkeye fans, but your football team is usually pretty mediocre. 

Iowa had two 1st round draft picks last year.

• Fire 3

3 minutes ago, jchapman said:

You are wrong.  Hut is a defensive lineman.

285 is nearly the perfect weight for a defensive lineman! 197 is definitely pretty skinny for a D1 linebacker though 😄

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

It is not whether he will play a down in the NFL, but whether he wants to give it a chance.    

This year Iowa's Pro Day is March 18th.    If he is going to give it a try then he will need to be preparing for the draft, including going to the Combine or doing the Pro Day which occur around the wrestling post season.

My point is unless he plans to give up on the NFL, he is saving his RS for a year he won't be using it.  

• Fire 1

46 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

285 is nearly the perfect weight for a defensive lineman! 197 is definitely pretty skinny for a D1 linebacker though 😄

This is so very true.

The wrestling community really doesn't have a good understanding of how BIG football players are.  With the exception of a few defensive ends aside, Linebackers are almost uniformly the scariest guys on the field, both physically and mentally.  Keuter is a 30% away from filling into that size.  That sort of size takes time, and it takes rest.  

Also, the amount of homework that football players do every week to be ready for game time is absolutely insane.  If you ever listen to the top football guys start talking football with one another, it is another language.  

I'm not saying any of this to poopoo Keuter's chances.  I hope he is able to attain his goals.  But...considering that we live in an era where Freshman can come in and dominate at any weight class when they are of his caliber...and let's be clear he was high AA caliber coming out of High School just based on placement alone...his time with football has taken him from that down to a much more mediocre r16 kind of guy.  

He is good enough at football to get a roster spot on a Big10 team.  That's impressive.  But guaranteed that his wrestling is having a similar effect simply because he is splitting his year in two, and is not fully engaged in learning and honing his football craft.  

Football coaches always talk about wanting guys who wrestled.  They mean in High School.  How many college wrestlers have made it in the NFL in the past 20 years?  I know there are more than Stephen Neal, but I can only think of Stephen Neal.  I know Lesnar and Coon both bounced out.  

Keuter's not out there pulling a Gable Steveson in his first year.  And last I checked, they didn't pull his redshirt in football so he could go hold down the defense with his unprecedented raw football ability.

I just don't want a very hardworking and accomplished young man to fall victim to the whispers of the marketing machine in the Big10 and elsewhere to convince him to make short term decisions that detract from his ability to achieve his highest goals. 

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

This is so very true.

The wrestling community really doesn't have a good understanding of how BIG football players are.  With the exception of a few defensive ends aside, Linebackers are almost uniformly the scariest guys on the field, both physically and mentally.  Keuter is a 30% away from filling into that size.  That sort of size takes time, and it takes rest.  

Also, the amount of homework that football players do every week to be ready for game time is absolutely insane.  If you ever listen to the top football guys start talking football with one another, it is another language.  

I'm not saying any of this to poopoo Keuter's chances.  I hope he is able to attain his goals.  But...considering that we live in an era where Freshman can come in and dominate at any weight class when they are of his caliber...and let's be clear he was high AA caliber coming out of High School just based on placement alone...his time with football has taken him from that down to a much more mediocre r16 kind of guy.  

He is good enough at football to get a roster spot on a Big10 team.  That's impressive.  But guaranteed that his wrestling is having a similar effect simply because he is splitting his year in two, and is not fully engaged in learning and honing his football craft.  

Football coaches always talk about wanting guys who wrestled.  They mean in High School.  How many college wrestlers have made it in the NFL in the past 20 years?  I know there are more than Stephen Neal, but I can only think of Stephen Neal.  I know Lesnar and Coon both bounced out.  

Keuter's not out there pulling a Gable Steveson in his first year.  And last I checked, they didn't pull his redshirt in football so he could go hold down the defense with his unprecedented raw football ability.

I just don't want a very hardworking and accomplished young man to fall victim to the whispers of the marketing machine in the Big10 and elsewhere to convince him to make short term decisions that detract from his ability to achieve his highest goals. 

Antonio Garay placed 4th in 2000, and then was a 6th round draft pick in 2003.  A little over 20 years ago, and I can't think of any others since then

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Yes

Doesn't mean he isn't good enough to play in the NFL.  Iowa is a great feeder program on the defensive side of the ball for the NFL

Youth tends to give us the great fortune of viewing the world unrealistically 

The Iowa football program is notorious for not starting underclassman.  Wrestling isn't hindering his career at this point.  They have a strong weight and strength training program.  Going into next years football season don't be shocked if he looks like a brand new man.  But keep in mind the size of a college LB is changing.  I've seen reports that the average size of a NFL draft pick is 6' 2" 240 pounds.  But I've also seen reports that of the top linebacker draft picks the average size is 6' 2" 215 pounds

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

45 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Antonio Garay placed 4th in 2000, and then was a 6th round draft pick in 2003.  A little over 20 years ago, and I can't think of any others since then

Josh Hokit, although I don’t think he made it past the practice squad 

2 hours ago, NM1965 said:

If you are good enough, they will find you anywhere. That being said, Iowa is a fantastic school for football. They aren’t top 5 but very few are. I looked it up and Iowa is top 30 in I’m colleges with the most NFL draft picks of all time. That’s pretty damn good. 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Dogbone said:

I think being in the top 2 on the depth chart and actually playing a snap comes before these goals. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Yes

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Doesn't mean he isn't good enough to play in the NFL.  Iowa is a great feeder program on the defensive side of the ball for the NFL

This is true, but typically when somebody is that good, they start getting noise from the Football media.

I gotta say, I haven't heard Football noise from FOOTBALL media about Keuter.

I have heard noise from WRESTLING media about Keuter playing football, because that is rare and wrestling media is small, predictable and click-happy.  And the BigTen Network will do ANYTHING it can to bring other sports in to try to create cross-sport interest.  Hence the random over-focus on Hutmacher and Keuter this year despite their (understandably) very middling years.

13 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

This is true, but typically when somebody is that good, they start getting noise from the Football media.

I gotta say, I haven't heard Football noise from FOOTBALL media about Keuter.

He got noise from the football media coming out of high school.  He was a finalist for the HS Butkus award given out to the nations best HS linebacker.  I think the finalist list is cut down to only 15 players.  As for his freshman year on the football squad below is a link straight from his coaches mouth.  I think Ben's problem is he needs to choose a lane

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted