Crowded Penn State Lineup Next Year

This doesn’t even account for the transfers that will come in. It’s premature to think there’s going to be a logjam because we don’t even have results from NCAAs. History tells us that anyone who isn’t a top 5 or so AA is likely to be replaced by a better recruit or transfer. That’s just how PSU operates-perform or leave. 

I don’t see why he is likely to be in the lineup again unless he has made huge strides behind the scenes. Why move Mesenbrink up or down? He’s at the perfect weight for his long term goals. 

Facundo had a pretty good RS FR season, beating Amine and Kharchla.

He had an unspecified injury prior to B1Gs and never looked the same. He’s done pretty well in FS this year. Qualified for the OTTs. Beat some good guys doing it, too.

Speculation is that he’ll go 174, which gives Zack Ryder a chance to RS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I thought the rumor was Mesenbrink was beating Haines so Mesenbrink chose to go 165 and Haines had to keep making the cut to 157

If true, I’m skeptical he would do it next year then.  But I guess it would make sense if Starocci comes back and they want Facundo in the lineup.

But I could also see Sealey going right away too.

Oh I didn’t know that, I believe you though…. Either way that’d be a fun offensive match to watch

On 2/9/2024 at 4:15 PM, buckshot said:

I'm not so sure Gibson is in the plans to be anything more than a backup/depth guy. 

It’s hard to believe this and if you had told me this a few years ago I would have thought you were nuts but you may be correct. 

1 hour ago, D3UC157 said:

Facundo gives Gulibon vibes.

Gulibon was an AA and finished 4th at the NCAA tournament. I think they got all they could out of him. I know because he was a 4x PIAA champ that people think he was a disappointment but he still had a heck of a career at PSU and I don’t look at his career as disappointing in the least. He started for four years. 

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

It’s hard to believe this and if you had told me this a few years ago I would have thought you were nuts but you may be correct. 

Who else do they have coming in around 133/141 after Nagao and Bartlett are gone?

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Who else do they have coming in around 133/141 after Nagao and Bartlett are gone?

Kasak will almost surely take over 141lbs when BB leaves. They still have Braeden Davis and I have no idea why people are just writing him off. He has only lost one match so far and has looked very good to be honest. He is a true freshman. He wasn’t a bum recruit either. He was a 4x champ from a really good program in Michigan. 

Is LL a career 125lber? As a PSU fan I hope so but we don’t know if he’ll outgrow it. Dalton Perry could theoretically be 141lbs as well. 

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Gibson is a starter and successful. A younger guy could also come in and beat him out as well. Cael is recruiting that well.

In the end I would predict he does start.

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

13 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Kasak will almost surely take over 141lbs when BB leaves. They still have Braeden Davis and I have no idea why people are just writing him off. He has only lost one match so far and has looked very good to be honest. He is a true freshman. He wasn’t a bum recruit either. He was a 4x champ from a really good program in Michigan. 

Is LL a career 125lber? As a PSU fan I hope so but we don’t know if he’ll outgrow it. Dalton Perry could theoretically be 141lbs as well. 

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Gibson is a starter and successful. A younger guy could also come in and beat him out as well. Cael is recruiting that well.

In the end I would predict he does start.

Kasak doesn’t look undersized to me at 149, I could see him going back down to 141 for a year or two but not sure if he stays there for his career.  Can also see Davis at 133 after Nagao is gone.   Looks like Gibson is wrestling 133 now so I’m guessing he’d be more likely to be 141 in a few years.

22 minutes ago, Not the Real Scribe said:

Is Gibson's brother not planning to wrestle?

I don't see how he could even come close to cracking their lineup. He's listed at 165 so there's nowhere even close for him to even have a chance. 

On 2/9/2024 at 2:11 PM, flyingcement said:

If Starocci comes back, I think several guys will have to take a redshirt to make things work out.  Unless anyone wants to transfer out.  I was trying to puzzle it together and the below is the best I could come up with which includes both Kasak and Haines redshirting next year!

125: Braeden Davis / Luke Lilledahl (RS)
133: Aaron Nagao / Mason Gibson (RS)
141: Beau Bartlett / Tyler Kasak (RS)
149: Shane Van Ness / David Evans
157: Mitchell Mesenbrink / Levi Haines (RS) 
165: Alex Facundo / Joseph Sealey (RS)
174: Carter Starocci / Terrell Barraclough
184: Josh Barr / Zack Ryder (RS)
197: Connor Mirasola / Lucas Cochran
285: Greg Kerkvliet / Cole Mirasola (RS)

Hard to say how it's all going to shake out considering they will almost certainly go "shopping" via the transfer portal - particularly for 197 lbs.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Kasak doesn’t look undersized to me at 149, I could see him going back down to 141 for a year or two but not sure if he stays there for his career.  Can also see Davis at 133 after Nagao is gone.   Looks like Gibson is wrestling 133 now so I’m guessing he’d be more likely to be 141 in a few years.

Gibson's lack of height will be a big problem for him at 141...

Im thinking Davis red shirts at 133 not saying he can't beat Luke id have to see Luke in folk against more high level guys but what he did to spratley at junior trials and seeing how spratley is probably a mid to high AA the way hes wrestling now I just don't see Luke sitting especially since Davis seems to still be growing. I think nagao could potentially be a 141 in 2 years as well his red shirt season he spent at 141. 157-174 is going to have AA level talent sitting for the next few years I just don't see how you get around it. Sealey was competitive with marinelli at senior nats, Ryder just bonused through Edinboro at 174 TB,levi,mitchell,Facundo and you have will henckle and Asher Cunningham (this kid has jumped levels like nobody ive ever seen in one year) coming in two years but they may be able to get henckle up to 184.

Cunningham is VERY interesting. Not super dynamic at this point but that kid has an iron will. Reminds me a bit of Starocci and…his dad.

He’s already much bigger than his mom’s frame + dad would suggest. I wonder if he can get up to 184 some day. He’s not done growing and is already at/above the weight class where his old man won an NCAA title.

It’s kind of funny that the PSU guys refer to Casey as “the strongest man in the world” when it’s his wife who is, quite literally, an Olympic weight lifting gold medalist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk