Missouri vs Okie State 1pm CST

31 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Could be one of the above, all of the above or a combination of.   From the outside where I sit it sure looks like coach Scott is making an impact

That, coupled with John Smith finally recovering from PTFD. (Post Traumatic Ferrari Disorder)

• Haha 1

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Good chance that the decision to put a backup out at 125 amounted to six of one, half a dozen of the other.  The difference was established on the mat by Spratley defeating Surtin; Travis defeating Mauller; and Thompson defeating Mocco.  The upsets. 

Watching Fix, it looked like he was super fired up at the beginning of the season.  Now it appears that with the realization that the team truly is strong, he’s on cruise, not trying to carry so much on his shoulders.  He looks like he’s ready to take it to the tournaments.  

Edited by Offthemat

2 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

KOT vs Olejnik. KOT up 4-1 with RT locked. Questionable takedown on the edge (which I did not think was 3). Even with the TD, KOT still only wins 8-1. There was 3 seconds left, so definitely not enough time to push for a major. I agree, very odd hill to die on if I'm Mizzou coaching staff.

Exactly. Thanks! Glad to see I'm not the only one that was scratching their head at that.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, alex1fly said:

Exactly. Thanks! Glad to see I'm not the only one that was scratching their head at that.

Also why did the match stop when Spratley took Surtin down to his back in SV?  Did Spratley stop wrestling or did the ref blow the whistle. Later with Thompson wouldn't have mattered for team win but at 125 it was still very important.  

You'd think I might just want to let this topic slowly slide down the topic board and go away.

But, after just reading the Flo piece concerning Mizzou losing two duals in a row for the first time in 4 years, and reading Smith's comments, of which included: setting up and finishing takedowns, finishing matches.  He commented that the coaches needed to do a better job preparing the team, and they weren't panicking, as conference and NCAAS are the goal.  All coach speak.  Just cover the face, and you'll hear the same verbiage being spoke at 99% of the programs.

So, I watched the 2 videos that popped up on YouTube of Oklahoma State practicing day before dual in MU wrestling room, and Tigers practicing day before.  You watch the videos and make your own decision about the culture and practice structure, etc...  some might say that Smith's more laid back attitude works better and has Tigers prepared at the right time of the season.  Others might say that Mizzou has been one of the teams that gets called out by underperforming at nats.  Personally, I'm an old man that watched Dan Gable wrestle in the Big 8 championships at K State/Manhattan, Ks in the late 60's.  As a coach, I always leaned a little toward tough kids.  I'm not saying you can't be a model citizen, good academic kid and also stud/physical wrestler.  I had several of those during my coaching career.  But, over the years, my best wrestlers were the kids that could hit that "nasty physicality" and wanted to punish kids on the mat, then flip the switch off.  I coached FB also, and refer to it as "linebacker mentality!"  I think Moore and Whiting may have a little of this mentality.  Surtain is a gamer, and "go for it" mentality.  I scratch my head with some of these guys.  Kids wrestling in late 60s, early 70's had Dan Gable's fable to follow.  Wrapped head, hobbling on one good knee, winning gold.  How many coaches told the story of Dan Gable runnjng in the middle of the night because he didn't want the Russians to out train him?  Different times, and attitudes.  Cale throws out the dodge balls at Penn State and builds a dynasty (tongue firmly in cheek).  Maybe I'm just an old man living in the past!

1 hour ago, MidwestMan said:

You'd think I might just want to let this topic slowly slide down the topic board and go away.

But, after just reading the Flo piece concerning Mizzou losing two duals in a row for the first time in 4 years, and reading Smith's comments, of which included: setting up and finishing takedowns, finishing matches.  He commented that the coaches needed to do a better job preparing the team, and they weren't panicking, as conference and NCAAS are the goal.  All coach speak.  Just cover the face, and you'll hear the same verbiage being spoke at 99% of the programs.

So, I watched the 2 videos that popped up on YouTube of Oklahoma State practicing day before dual in MU wrestling room, and Tigers practicing day before.  You watch the videos and make your own decision about the culture and practice structure, etc...  some might say that Smith's more laid back attitude works better and has Tigers prepared at the right time of the season.  Others might say that Mizzou has been one of the teams that gets called out by underperforming at nats.  Personally, I'm an old man that watched Dan Gable wrestle in the Big 8 championships at K State/Manhattan, Ks in the late 60's.  As a coach, I always leaned a little toward tough kids.  I'm not saying you can't be a model citizen, good academic kid and also stud/physical wrestler.  I had several of those during my coaching career.  But, over the years, my best wrestlers were the kids that could hit that "nasty physicality" and wanted to punish kids on the mat, then flip the switch off.  I coached FB also, and refer to it as "linebacker mentality!"  I think Moore and Whiting may have a little of this mentality.  Surtain is a gamer, and "go for it" mentality.  I scratch my head with some of these guys.  Kids wrestling in late 60s, early 70's had Dan Gable's fable to follow.  Wrapped head, hobbling on one good knee, winning gold.  How many coaches told the story of Dan Gable runnjng in the middle of the night because he didn't want the Russians to out train him?  Different times, and attitudes.  Cale throws out the dodge balls at Penn State and builds a dynasty (tongue firmly in cheek).  Maybe I'm just an old man living in the past!

With having absolutely zero inside knowledge, the PSU methodology of having "fun" seems to be more about the mental approach to the sport. Focusing on getting to your attacks, competing the best that you can and defaulting to your training rather than putting a lot of pressure on winning a certain match. Compete to the best of your ability, be prepared and the rest takes care of it self. PSU is always one of, if not the best, conditioned teams in the country. They surely get after it in the room and do conditioning with the best of them. They may focus more on wrestling as a form of conditioning than other teams though. 

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Gus said:

With having absolutely zero inside knowledge, the PSU methodology of having "fun" seems to be more about the mental approach to the sport. Focusing on getting to your attacks, competing the best that you can and defaulting to your training rather than putting a lot of pressure on winning a certain match. Compete to the best of your ability, be prepared and the rest takes care of it self. PSU is always one of, if not the best, conditioned teams in the country. They surely get after it in the room and do conditioning with the best of them. They may focus more on wrestling as a form of conditioning than other teams 

They also get 95% of the top high school recruits and transfers, so that helps a little.

53 minutes ago, flanders said:

They also get 95% of the top high school recruits and transfers, so that helps a little.

I can confirm that wrestling is more fun when you are winning.

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Gus said:

I can confirm that wrestling is more fun when you are winning.

This is exactly what I tell youth wrestlers when I come in the club practices.  "Wrestling is much more fun, when your getting your hand raised!"  I also tell them that you can't be a great "come back story, unless you continue to come back.  There is nothing more gratifying then seeing a mediocre kid hang in there, pay their mat dues, and transition to being great wrestler before they graduate.  A bit off topic.  My apologies.

• Fire 3

Just caught this dual and I loved the Spratley-Surtin match. What scrambling! 125 is going to have a lot of great matches especially in the consolation round. I’m going to have to set aside an extra 3 hours to watch them all !!