Spencer Lee: 4x NCAA champ or Olympic medalist?

Jimmy Cinnabon

I personally would not swap one Greco-Roman Gold for two NCAA Golds.  

I assume Steve gets limited mentions because there is little international discussion in general, less of Greco, and this is a college forum where Steve's best was in 5th place over 40 years ago.  Let's start a discussion with the most accomplished brackets ever in college, using all credentials.

• Fire 1

I would rather have the NCAA titles. International wrestling is great, but so few people really care or notice in this country.  It is to me similar to the difference of being the best soccer player in the world vs the best NFL football player.  The rest of the world would say soccer/football but the United States viewing audience would say NFL football.  Most of the wrestling people I know won't hardly pay attention to the Worlds but the NCAA tournament they are locked in and filling out brackets.  

1 hour ago, Gimp Brownell said:

Children? State Champ.

Mine was Olympic champ and high school champ because Kansas did not have D1 college wrestling.  I won a state championship at 8 years old in the 80s and didn't much care one way or the other.  I dreamed bigger when meeting Senior World Teamers at the youth tournament avenue.  The big USA flag.  The real-life action figure standing in front of their poster with muscles bulging from a low-cut singlet.  Watching the local high schoolers wrestle was also exciting.  My entire family watched the Olympics every four years.  None of us watched NCAAs or Worlds (perhaps no media coverage)

Melvin Douglas, Kenny Monday

Edited by jross

On 11/29/2022 at 12:57 PM, jchapman said:

Then why hasn't Steve Fraser been mentioned?

Well, Steve Fraser has made his living through the sport and many of us remember his name almost 40 years later. An Olympic gold medal means a lot in this country even in obscure sports that never get any publicity for the rest of the four years (Greco is one of many such sports). I do agree that it’s a bit of an exaggeration to say it’s worth more than going undefeated through all of amateur wrestling though. I’m sure if someone did that, they would be pretty well off too.

3 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Children? State Champ.

At 11 I wanted Olympic gold. I don't remember prior to that.

In 1972 when Mark Spitz took home 7 golds I was not swimming yet, though by the time I was swimming I certainly remembered the iconic poster. But watching Brian Goodell set the world record in the 1500 meter free in 1976 was what did it for me. I wanted to be Brian Goodell. I was not Brian Goodell.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Well, Steve Fraser has made his living through the sport and many of us remember his name almost 40 years later. An Olympic gold medal means a lot in this country even in obscure sports that never get any publicity for the rest of the four years (Greco is one of many such sports). I do agree that it’s a bit of an exaggeration to say it’s worth more than going undefeated through all of amateur wrestling though. I’m sure if someone did that, they would be pretty well off too.

Bo Maynes was an undefeated 4 timer with a 130-0 record that was never taken down in high school.  He made the NCAA tournament once and was backup for several years at Oklahoma.  

12 hours ago, jross said:

Bo Maynes was an undefeated 4 timer with a 130-0 record that was never taken down in high school.  He made the NCAA tournament once and was backup for several years at Oklahoma.  

I thought you were including college in this… I meant if someone went undefeated with 4 ncaa titles a la Cael Sanderson, they would be pretty well off.