Tell me about Victor Voinovich

TobusRex

46 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Aside from having the name of a Russian serial killer, what can you guys tell me about this kid? I remember him winning "Who's #1" awhile back, so he's an elite wrestler. Does he have the skills to be a 4 time All American? 

Looks like he has the skills but the Minny dual next weekend should tells us where he is at.  

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

2xer from Ohio. IronMan runner up. 16-1 as a RS at 149 at open tournaments.  First place at three of the four tourneys he wrestled. Lost to #7 Finesilver / Duke at the Scuffle.

Ohio 2 timer. Impressive. I wish Wrestlestat wasn't hosed up, I'd like to see the results of Voinovich's matches from his RS season. 

I don’t see him being a 4x AA but I could see him being. 1-2x AA.  He doesn’t have any really good wins yet and he has some really close wins over mid range guys. It will be interesting to see how he does in Vegas where he sees some good competition.  
edit: ok state not at Vegas. I guess we get a small sample vs minny 

Edited by Idaho

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 minute ago, Idaho said:

I don’t see him being a 4x AA but I could see him being. 1-2x AA.  He doesn’t have any really good wins yet and he has some really close wins over mid range guys. It will be interesting to see how he does in Vegas where he sees some good competition.  

I always get overly optimistic with Freshmen. Remember those triplets that went to OU a few years back? I was optimistic about those guys, and none of them ever even posted a winning record at OU, and I think only one of them hung around long enough to graduate. 

3 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Ohio 2 timer. Impressive. I wish Wrestlestat wasn't hosed up, I'd like to see the results of Voinovich's matches from his RS season. 

On wrestlestat.  Highest ranked match was against finesilver #19 lost 7-0.  Half of his matches were against D2, NAIA and NJCAA  kids 

4 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I always get overly optimistic with Freshmen. Remember those triplets that went to OU a few years back? I was optimistic about those guys, and none of them ever even posted a winning record at OU, and I think only one of them hung around long enough to graduate. 

We all do at some point with younger wrestlers. It’s tough to tell sometimes. 
are you talking about the Dixons? I thought they would have better careers as well. 
Edit: I would add that we have seen many times a young kid turn it up at the end of the season, place high at conference etc 

Edited by Idaho

1 minute ago, TobusRex said:

Just looked it up. Yeah, he has a 3 time qualifier in Blockhus. If Victor dominates Blockhus, will you jump on the bandwagon?

I'm on the could be a player bandwagon, the 4x AA wagon is ... well ... a wagon I haven't yet seen come thru the station but willing to jump on when see the chance.  🙂

10 minutes ago, Idaho said:

We all do at some point with younger wrestlers. It’s tough to tell sometimes. 
are you talking about the Dixons? I thought they would have better careers as well. 
Edit: I would add that we have seen many times a young kid turn it up at the end of the season, place high at conference etc 

Yes, the Dixon boys. Last year I was stoked on Drake Ayala. Well, I think Drake at least won a couple matches at NCAAs, and found out today that he was wrestling hurt all year. 

By early to mid January it won't matter.  G will be the starter at 149 for the 'boys.

That said, he is clearly the guy they like behind G, as they had Mastro start trying to pack on the meat for a higher weight class.

I also wouldn't take too much from a Blockhus victory, on the chance he wins.

I mean no disrespect to any of the 141lbers or 149lbers, but the reason we see guys like Zargo or Blockhus as AA contenders is that other guys left the weight class - either to graduation or on redshirt.  They are the type of guys that start Top 6-12 and end lower because other new guys that are new to their lineups (Voinovich) or new to D1(Swiderski) or new to the weight(Bartlett) will finally get their shot.

This said, Blockus did impress me in his JO match this last spring.  His performance there got overshadowed by Zapf's breakout.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

In additional to all of this, Ryan Anderson has been competing at 149 as well right?

I had thought that Mastro and Anderson would man 157/165 but now that makes me think Mastro at 165 and that irks me.  Mastro has consistently gotten horsed over 150lbs going back to high school.  He is a 157lber at best, if he grows.  Ryan Anderson from 149 to 165 in an  offseason is a stretch.

Just now, Higgitty said:

I'm hearing that Gfella is moving down to 49 and Sheets going to 57. Sounds like Voinovich will be a backup when these moves happen. 

Maybe. I think that's so stupid, by the way, making boys pull weight. I saw Gfeller and Sheets in a dual a week or so ago and neither was fat. Do the guys at OSU pull weight because of John Smith, or because they want to? 

3 minutes ago, bdhof said:

And the most important statistic on Voinovich, he's the grandson of former Ohio Governor George Voinovich. 

Rich boy, huh? Well, that helps. Yianni comes from a wealthy family as well. Rich folks can send their kids to wrestling camps where they get hands on coaching from great coaches. When I was a kid my family was too poor to pay the $149 to send me to Cowboys Wrestling Camp 30 miles down the road!! I'll be rooting for young Victor and the rest of the Cowboys. Well, at least until they run into OU, whom they will beat quite handily I'm sure. 

Just now, ionel said:

Meet you over at Board Bets😉

Ew.  No.  I want Voinovich to be the starter, with G and Sheets manning 157/165.  I won't bet against that.

I am going off what the OSU gents (and coaches ) have been preaching.

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

In additional to all of this, Ryan Anderson has been competing at 149 as well right?

I had thought that Mastro and Anderson would man 157/165 but now that makes me think Mastro at 165 and that irks me.  Mastro has consistently gotten horsed over 150lbs going back to high school.  He is a 157lber at best, if he grows.  Ryan Anderson from 149 to 165 in an  offseason is a stretch.

Mastrogiovanni is a RS Freshman, right? What makes you think he's going to crack the starting lineup? I don't know who Ryan Anderson is, guess I'm out of touch. 

Just now, TobusRex said:

Mastrogiovanni is a RS Freshman, right? What makes you think he's going to crack the starting lineup? I don't know who Ryan Anderson is, guess I'm out of touch. 

Voinovich and Mastro qere competing at 149 last year to be the heir apparent to G/Boo.

Mastro had been mentioned as an option at 165 in several interviews prior to G having announced his return and Sheets having not perceptually settled on a weight class yet.

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Ew.  No.  I want Voinovich to be the starter, with G and Sheets manning 157/165.  I won't bet against that.

I am going off what the OSU gents (and coaches ) have been preaching.

Yes, I've seen it too but even if Sheets goes down I'm not sure that JS takes V out, he is the future, he needs the matches.  My feeling is 49ers have figured out G but he provides some added danger at 57 cause he could pin at any time.  No one is scoring many points at 65 so ...

Edited by ionel

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Yes, I've seen it too but even if Sheets goes down I'm not sure that JS takes V out, he is the future, he needs the matches.  My feeling is 49ers have figured out G but he provides some added danger at 57 cause he could pin at any time.  No one is scoring many points at 65 so ...

I'm sure hoping Gfeller AAs this time around. As a Fr I remember him giving that NCAA champ from Rutgers all he could handle, then G just fell apart at NCAAs. I think he had a pretty good seed, too. Has he been battling injuries while at OSU or something, I surely expected him to be an All American by now.