Navy over Pitt

Dakota

3 minutes ago, Dakota said:

Nice win for Navy over Pitt 21-12, big wins by Grady Griess, David Key, Jon Ley, Josh Koderhandt and Brendan Ferretti, I believe all upsets! Should be a top 20 team now. Great job so far for Kolat.

I did not see Griess over Pitzer coming. I have viewed Griess as a guy that beats the guys he is supposed to and loses to the guys he is supposed to. This might be a breakthrough victory for him. Nice win.

• Fire 2

Exciting that Navy matted 5 freshmen in that dual (Tallmadge, Viafiadis, Ley, Wask, and Evans).  Charlie Evans's match was particularly vital because, although he lost 10-4 to No. 11 Heller, he bumped up from 157 to fill in for Cerniglia who was injured in an earlier match against VMI.  

I feel like a big reason for Pitzer's success last year is his completely unique style with top wrestling and scrambles, he was unknown and doesn't wrestle like a traditional heavyweight.  People know him now and are going to avoid those positions when possible, so he's going to have to start beating people initiating his own neutral offense. 

Edited by Gantry

1 hour ago, Gus said:

I did not see Griess over Pitzer coming. I have viewed Griess as a guy that beats the guys he is supposed to and loses to the guys he is supposed to. This might be a breakthrough victory for him. Nice win.

Was looking up Griess , seems he was hurt the entire Covid year shortened year (his true fresh year) , only wrestled 2 duals and opens as a sophomore , became full time starter last season so navy has him listed as a senior , not sure how it works with the military academies but is this his last year of eligibility? , at most schools I know he’d have 2 maybe 3 years left 

I don't see any extra year for Griess.  It's very rare that any service academy does this and when it's done, it is in response to something that prevents one from completing the four-year course in 4 years like a major health crisis.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Gantry said:

I feel like a big reason for Pitzer's success last year is his completely unique style with top wrestling and scrambles, he was unknown and doesn't wrestle like a traditional heavyweight.  People know him now and are going to avoid those positions when possible, so he's going to have to start beating people initiating his own neutral offense. 

Yes.  They kept his redshirt on after his loss to a well-coached Trepham.

• Fire 1