Cornell Schedule 2023-24

nhs67

Greetings All,

Cornell has scheduled some dogfights for this year's dual slate.

- tOSU on January 5th
- VTech on January 7th
- Mizzou on January 28th
- NC State on February 17th

This isn't including their EIWA or tournament schedules either.

- Journeman Collegiate Classic on November 12th (Penn State, Lock Haven, Purdue)
- Mat Town Open on November 26th (Lock Haven again?)
- Cliff Keen on December 1st (Nebraska, Virginia Tech, Michigan, South Dakota State, Oregon State, Iowa State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State... many more).

Grey is not backing down.  What a dog.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Not sure how I glazed over the Collegiate Duals on December 18th, which will at least have them facing Iowa State, Little Rock, and Pittsburgh.

23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Greetings All,

Cornell has scheduled some dogfights for this year's dual slate.

- tOSU on January 5th
- VTech on January 7th
- Mizzou on January 28th
- NC State on February 17th

This isn't including their EIWA or tournament schedules either.

- Journeman Collegiate Classic on November 12th (Penn State, Lock Haven, Purdue)
- Mat Town Open on November 26th (Lock Haven again?)
- Cliff Keen on December 1st (Nebraska, Virginia Tech, Michigan, South Dakota State, Oregon State, Iowa State, Ohio State, Oklahoma State... many more).

Grey is not backing down.  What a dog.

I can only make it down to Raleigh for one February dual.  Still deciding between Cornell on 2/17 or Vtech the next week.  Cornell has some studs that I want to see, but the Wolfpack/Hokies rivalry is always electric!

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Initial Wrestlestat Projections:

NC State over Cornell 21-11
https://www.wrestlestat.com/compare/dual/20/cornell/47/nc-state

Hmm...

Ed Scott (NC State) over Meyer Shapiro (Cornell) DEC 14 - 8

Dylan Fishback (NC State) over Jonathan Loew (Cornell) DEC 7 - 6

184 and bonus points (look for Arujau, Ramirez, and Foca to tech fall or pin, instead of just D/MD their opponents)

34 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Hmm...

184 and bonus points (look for Arujau, Ramirez, and Foca to tech fall or pin, instead of just D/MD their opponents)

I think Shapiro dismantles Scott, to be honest.

Loew, I can see.  Loew balled out at one tournament two seasons ago and took some losses, albeit while injured, last season that drop his Rating down.

Keep in mind that is a capital R there for Rating.  These are purely off results and don't factor in injuries, poor weight cuts, or developmental leaps.

48 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Hmm...

Fishback is pretty good.  

I think Shapiro handles Scott, but check out the Scott/Andonian matches to see what he's capable of.  You won't regret it.  

Who is Vito's backup, because I think there is a decent chance Vito doesn't make the trip.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

17 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Fishback is pretty good.  

I think Shapiro handles Scott, but check out the Scott/Andonian matches to see what he's capable of.  You won't regret it.  

Who is Vito's backup, because I think there is a decent chance Vito doesn't make the trip.

If Gregor D is back and healthy, the loser of him and Ungar might be the backup at 125/133?  I am ignorant here so I must defer to @BigRedFan.

38 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Fishback is pretty good.  

Shapiro is still going to be an eighteen (or maybe nineteen) year old kid, his results notwithstanding.

Any special reason Vito doesn't make the trip to North Carolina?  If he doesn't wrestle 133 at any time, it is likely Ethan Fernandez who would go.  Greg D. and Ungar are too small to go 133, IMO.

• Fire 1

30 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Shapiro is still going to be an eighteen (or maybe nineteen) year old kid, his results notwithstanding.

Any special reason Vito doesn't make the trip to North Carolina?  If he doesn't wrestle 133 at any time, it is likely Ethan Fernandez who would go.  Greg D. and Ungar are too small to go 133, IMO.

The only reason I would think he might not make the trip is if he is pitch counting because of him trying to keep his weight down and close to 57 KG.  I don't think Orine is one of the guys he needs to avoid, though, and might want to get a match in against him.

32 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

This dual is less than two weeks before he would have to be at the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier should Vito gain the 57 kg spot and attempt to qualify it.  I would imagine, in that case, folkstyle and travel to NC would be de-emphasized.

5 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This dual is less than two weeks before he would have to be at the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier should Vito gain the 57 kg spot and attempt to qualify it.  I would imagine, in that case, folkstyle and travel to NC would be de-emphasized.

I am honestly thinking Vito lets Gilman challenge for the spot.

When is last chance?  Is that after OTT?  If so, he might be willing to trust that route.

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I am honestly thinking Vito lets Gilman challenge for the spot.

When is last chance?  Is that after OTT?  If so, he might be willing to trust that route.

Possible.  Making the weight for the wrestle-offs won't be fun for anyone.

Still, it may not be worth a trip to Raleigh when he can get a couple decent, fully fed workouts with Yianni in Ithaca.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

8 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

The Pan-Am Qualifier is the week before the EIWA tournament, by the way.

In addition, if Vito wants to wrestle there, he'll have to compete in a mini-tournament and then a best-of-three against Richards, or a mini-tournament against challengers if Richards for some reason chooses not to compete.  Which means Vito would have to potentially make 57kg once before the PA Qualifying tourney, and again at the tournament, and again at the OTT in April.

More likely is that he waits to see if Richards or someone else qualifies the US at the PA tourney.  If not, he plans on winning the OTT and then going to the World Qualifying tournament (in May?) to get the US qualified.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

In addition, if Vito wants to wrestle there, he'll have to compete in a mini-tournament and then a best-of-three against Richards, or a mini-tournament against challengers if Richards for some reason chooses not to compete.  Which means Vito would have to potentially make 57kg once before the PA Qualifying tourney, and again at the tournament, and again at the OTT in April.

More likely is that he waits to see if Richards or someone else qualifies the US at the PA tourney.  If not, he plans on winning the OTT and then going to the World Qualifying tournament (in May?) to get the US qualified.

I am with you here.  It makes more sense (to me).

4 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

Very possible.  Still wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the trip.  It is going to be a weird year.  

I hope he does make the trip, especially if I fly into Raleigh that weekend!

7 hours ago, Ched64 said:

I agree but it won’t be as easy as last year weight wise. He is gonna have to stay real close to 133 all the time or that cut for OTT will be self defeating.  I am confident that his team has that mapped out though.

Keep in mind that the last time he went 57 kg was less than a year ago at U23 Worlds (late October).  He went 0-1, was smoked by Uulu of Kyrgistan 11-6.  Uulu went on to take bronze.

Since then, he has had a year to get older and bigger.  This does not bode well for any 57 kg cut.

7 hours ago, Ched64 said:

I agree but it won’t be as easy as last year weight wise. He is gonna have to stay real close to 133 all the time or that cut for OTT will be self defeating.  I am confident that his team has that mapped out though.

His team already knows how to do it and stay close.  They did it with Johnny D for 2022 (wrestled 149 all season to drop to 65 KG).

149lbs -> 65 KG = 5.7lbs/2.6 KG (~4%)
133lbs -> 57 KG = 7.3lbs/3.3 KG (~6%)

It will be more difficult based purely off numbers but the coaching staff has done it pretty recently.

Two factors that are quite different in the two, not including Johnny D and Arujau being completely different people, are that I don't think 149 had a legitimate challenger for Johnny D.  I think 133 does, in Fix.  That said, Fix is also going to be playing the weight-watcher game.

16 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Keep in mind that the last time he went 57 kg was less than a year ago at U23 Worlds (late October).  He went 0-1, was smoked by Uulu of Kyrgistan 11-6.  Uulu went on to take bronze.

Since then, he has had a year to get older and bigger.  This does not bode well for any 57 kg cut.

I wish Arujau and Stalrocci would just bite the bullet and go up, honestly.  They are both already insanely lean at 61 KG/133lbs and 79 KG/174lbs.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Vito still has a bit of a cut to get to 133!

Half a sweat to get to 133lbs (60.3 KG) from 61 KG (134.5lbs).