Hot pepper question...

Plasmodium

I have a very nice lemon habanero plant going.  It looks very healthy and has a ton of nicely sized but very green fruit.  The fruit smell nice but have no heat at all.  How do I get them over the hump?  I live in Denver so I'm running out of time!IMG_20230929_081542458.thumb.jpg.a679a0337387ae73fab692bd5d93ad7f.jpg

Edited by Plasmodium
  • Fire 3

15 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

I started mine in January, they're about done now. Maybe another week or so.  You may have to take them inside if possible. Get a cheap light off Amazon.

Thanks. I will hold out as long as possible before trying that,  I don't want to give those up. 

Different situation and goal here, but  last winter, I moved my favorite habanero indoors and attempted to keep it dormant.  It survived but only produced a few fruit, which are also still green.

I grow a lot of peppers.  If they're called lemon habaneros they will turn yellow when ripe.  Those are still green. 

Also,  DON'T water hot peppers,  or only a couple of times a season.  That's how they get hot. 

• Fire 1

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

On 9/29/2023 at 11:53 AM, Ban Basketball said:

I grow a lot of peppers.  If they're called lemon habaneros they will turn yellow when ripe.  Those are still green. 

Also,  DON'T water hot peppers,  or only a couple of times a season.  That's how they get hot. 

WOWZA!!  This is very close to being fact based!! I'm impressed. More like a light sprinkle once a week would be more accurate.

Otherwise great advice.

5 hours ago, Ohio Elite said:

WOWZA!!  This is very close to being fact based!! I'm impressed. More like a light sprinkle once a week would be more accurate.

Otherwise great advice.

I just started this year watering very little and they turned out HOT.  Outside of a few rains, I watered them twice. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

On 9/29/2023 at 8:27 AM, Plasmodium said:

I have a very nice lemon habanero plant going.  It looks very healthy and has a ton of nicely sized but very green fruit.  The fruit smell nice but have no heat at all.  How do I get them over the hump?  I live in Denver so I'm running out of time!

I live west of you, let me know when they are hot and I'll come down so we can re-visit that spicy dodgeball match.  😉

19 minutes ago, ionel said:

I live west of you, let me know when they are hot and I'll come down so we can re-visit that spicy dodgeball match.  😉

Will do.  We have some reapers, ghost peppers and other habaneros that came through - more than welcome!

Urgent care is right up the road!

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

I just started this year watering very little and they turned out HOT.  Outside of a few rains, I watered them twice. 

When you say hot, are we talking banana peppers? Lol.  But yea, not a lot water is best. Seems like tomatoe plants need a constant river.

8 hours ago, Ohio Elite said:

When you say hot, are we talking banana peppers? Lol.  But yea, not a lot water is best. Seems like tomatoe plants need a constant river.

I rotate peppers every year,  but this year jalapenos were my only hot peppers that I grew.  They are as hot as any jalapeno I've ever had. 

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, mspart said:

This is important!!   I mean it.  I can barely handle the jalapeno.   Ghost would kill me. 

mspart

I'm like you, bro! Jalapenos are pretty much my limit these days,  but I still like growing peppers.

• Fire 1