Amit Elor

My goodness. This woman needs more discussion.  She just wiped the mat with other women in her age group (U20) … not surprising since she is already world champ at U23 and the big show - seniors.  Very very rarely a close match. 

Need some pros to give insights on her style.  Also, is she going to challenge Gray for the Olympic spot?

• Fire 4

3 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

My goodness. This woman needs more discussion.  She just wiped the mat with other women in her age group (U20) … not surprising since she is already world champ at U23 and the big show - seniors.  Very very rarely a close match. 

Need some pros to give insights on her style.  Also, is she going to challenge Gray for the Olympic spot?

I watched her last year just go right through competition with ease.I think she was 18. She wrestled like a savvy old pro. She has a great story and has a great support group.

• Fire 1

It's interesting that she wants to compete in Junior, U23, and Senior again this year. Good for her, though. Why not travel and win more?

I like watching her hands in ties. She must have incredible strength to control those ties as a teenager, but the levers she creates and cranks are fun to keep track of. I'm guessing her jiu-jitsu and judo experiences are in play here. 

• Fire 2

10 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I think she drops for the team. 

9lbs in either direction, and she'll have 6 months from the U23s in October until the trials in April. She's already lean, also carrying impressive muscle mass.

Our depth at 76 makes me hope you're right. Also, the fact that she didn't move this year indicates that she's at least considering going down.  

Given her age, muscle mass, and style of controlling ties, it appears to me that bulking up would be best for her. Her leveraging techniques and superiority in lateral positions will be just fine at 68 where they're a little scrappier than 76: Tie up with her, she wins. Attack her legs, you lose. 

• Fire 3

9lbs in either direction, and she'll have 6 months from the U23s in October until the trials in April. She's already lean, also carrying impressive muscle mass.
Our depth at 76 makes me hope you're right. Also, the fact that she didn't move this year indicates that she's at least considering going down.  
Given her age, muscle mass, and style of controlling ties, it appears to me that bulking up would be best for her. Her leveraging techniques and superiority in lateral positions will be just fine at 68 where they're a little scrappier than 76: Tie up with her, she wins. Attack her legs, you lose. 

I tried to describe her technique to someone as Greco and Judo with Freestyle reattacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 4

She doesn't just control their right hand, she takes it completely away.

Look at her grip on the top image: "I found your lower ulna! Now I'll have your elbow too. It sucks for your shoulder. You're probably worried about those things, so you can either walk out of bounds or wait for me scoot behind you. I like your options."

On the third image: "I don't like what you do with your dominant hand. Let me put that away for you."

ScreenShot2023-08-19at1_16_46PM.thumb.png.a2d192759fd03882cf75cb3fc6d07e76.pngScreenShot2023-08-19at1_05_26PM.thumb.png.1986eb613517cd5aadc07a5013a35760.pngScreenShot2023-08-19at1_14_40PM.thumb.png.7e8bbd79af755c72a9ca32d96e1dc66e.png

• Fire 2

10 hours ago, denger said:

Also, the fact that she didn't move this year indicates that she's at least considering going down.  

Another medal at non-only weight is a huge advantage.

1) Career bump

2) Weights will begin to clear out which increases likelihood of medaling

3) Didn’t need to bulk/ cut a full year early while still a young growing prodigal kid

4) Bye into OTT semis

All are very good reasons to remain at 72 for another year

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

Regarding Amit Elor, here is what I posted on another forum last year: "Imagine the potential career of someone like Amit Elor who only turned 18 on January 1. I am anxious to see how well she does at this year's World Championships. She was not challenged at either the Cadet or Junior level last year. In 2021 she wrestled in both the Cadet and Junior World Championships, taking gold in both without being scored upon. She outscored her opponents 63-0 in winning both tournaments. Here is the UWW link to all of her Cadet and Junior World Championships matches [Edit: now including her 2022 U20 and Senior World Championships bouts.] Amit Elor matches The sky is the limit for her."

Aug. 18, 2023 update: Since 2021 Amit has competed in seven World Championships; Cadets, Juniors, U20 and Seniors. In those seven tournaments she outscored her opponents 166-3 with five falls. [Edit: I went back and included the points she scored in the matches where she got the fall]
Updated again. Seven combined age and senior World Championships medals (six being gold) since 2019, and still only 19, which is just incredible. I must confess I thought her competition would start finding ways to at least slow her down, but it hasn't happened! Regarding her last loss, it was in the semis of the 2019 Cadet World Championships where she lost to her Japanese opponent 3-1. She was in the lead with :25 seconds remaining, but was then taken down. She took third that tournament.

• Fire 4

55 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Well simply said she is the most dominate wrestler male or female in wrestling right now. She a genuinely a very humble lady. Great support group for her.

*Most dominant American, which is a damn great accomplishment.

Gotta pay your dues to be considered global p4p. Sadulaev still holds that p4p crown until proven otherwise. The last time he gave up points was in an instagram practice match. Taylor, Dake, and Snyder can’t say the same. Elor is certainly trending in the p4p ladder though and September will see a big shakeup.

• Fire 3

2 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Gotta pay your dues to be considered global p4p. Sadulaev still holds that p4p crown until proven otherwise. The last time he gave up points was in an instagram practice match. Taylor, Dake, and Snyder can’t say the same. Elor is certainly trending in the p4p ladder though and September will see a big shakeup.

I say this because I believe she is only 19 years old. All those other wrestlers are 25 or 26 or older. I would expect them to compete at a high level. They are seasoned veterans.

I went ahead and re-watched Elor's matches in this tournament... I'm quite impressed with her (and at a young age as well.)

23 hours ago, denger said:

She doesn't just control their right hand, she takes it completely away.

Look at her grip on the top image: "I found your lower ulna! Now I'll have your elbow too. It sucks for your shoulder. You're probably worried about those things, so you can either walk out of bounds or wait for me scoot behind you. I like your options."

On the third image: "I don't like what you do with your dominant hand. Let me put that away for you."

ScreenShot2023-08-19at1_16_46PM.thumb.png.a2d192759fd03882cf75cb3fc6d07e76.pngScreenShot2023-08-19at1_05_26PM.thumb.png.1986eb613517cd5aadc07a5013a35760.pngScreenShot2023-08-19at1_14_40PM.thumb.png.7e8bbd79af755c72a9ca32d96e1dc66e.png

And I took up denger's observation of Elor's immobilizing her opponents right wrist.

Sure enough... (also, I'm sure she would do it on the left side as well.)

The future IS bright for her... her future IS NOW!

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

19 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

I say this because I believe she is only 19 years old. All those other wrestlers are 27,32,32 or older. I would expect them to compete at a high level. They are seasoned veterans.

Edited by Paul158
missed a word

6 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

I say this because I believe she is only 19 years old. All those other wrestlers are 27,32,32 or older. I would expect them to compete at a high level. They are seasoned veterans.

23 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Only, "trending?" 

I agree. And she needs to sustain this success like few ever have. It’s not a negative comment from me, it’s an observation of the best of the best of the best of the best. When one person has given up three points they are amazing. When another competitor has given up zero points and his closest comp is an in-prime 5 time world/oly champ then yeah I’m going to lean toward the Russian Tank. I hope Elor takes the crown and Snyder takes gold.

• Fire 2

12 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Only, "trending?" 

I'm a fan, and she deserves all the praise she's getting. However, I think "trending" is accurate enough for now. 19 with only one senior title, and not a lot of senior level matches yet. She's only had one close match since age 15, her 3-2 win over the defending senior world champ in the semis last year. She controlled the match, and probably only conceded the takedown with 6 seconds left to manage the clock. It wasn't close in the sense that it could go either way. That said, a rematch would be interesting, and I'd be surprised if a senior-level Japanese opponent didn't come with a strategy that avoided ties.

Anyway, "trending" is accurate, perhaps even generous, given how little we've seen from her outside of age group. Most dominant junior level woman, hands down. Right up there with Iran's Heavyweights. 

• Fire 2

25 minutes ago, denger said:

"trending" is accurate, perhaps even generous, given how little we've seen from her outside of age group.

She's a Senior World Champ isn't she...

28 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

It’s not a negative comment from me,

I didn't take it as negative. 

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I am not arguing either way regarding the p4p discussion, but Sadulaev did just have a very close 3-2 victory over Alikhan Zhabrailov at the Russian 2023 World Team wrestle-off.  Video 

• Fire 1

14 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

‘Most dominant’ may very well be a title she has earned.  I see others arguing P4P, sure.  Ok.  But this woman is destroying all comers at this point.

At just 19 years old. Those other wrestlers are seasoned pros and they are very,very good. But Amit is just getting started. Have you had a chance to hear or see any of her interviews.

5 hours ago, MPhillips said:

She's a Senior World Champ isn't she...

Yes. And she won that title convincingly even though one match had a close score. We'll know more next month. By this time next year, if we're talking about Olympic Champion Amit Elor, she'll be at the top of everything at age 20, and it'll solidify all comparisons to other dominant wrestlers. 

"Trajectory" might be a better word. Her's is remarkably and rapidly progressing toward being most dominant wrestler in the world. I think she needs more than five international senior-level matches at a non-olympic weight before it's useful to make serious comparisons to folks with years of senior level success.

For now, I think it's more useful to compare to where the greats were at age 19. And there, she's on a better trajectory than just about anyone. 

• Fire 1