Broken Wing? Byrd to Medical Redshirt?

flyingcement

If this is true—and Mark always seems to have good information—the Tony Madrigal signing not only makes sense finally but also looks like the smart play. Not too long ago, Lucas Byrd was helping to train the ILLINOIS National Duals teams with no apparent injury. Then, he had a pretty big cast or wrap around his wrist and hand. But I still have questions, as always. 

Byrd was listed as going to the U23 US Open and he had to be the favorite to make the U23 World Team in Greco. He was an age-level World Teamer in Greco. Does that mean he can take an Olympic redshirt? If that is not an automatic qualification, does he use the tail end of an injury redshirt season to prepare for the Olympics? That has to be one of his dreams, right? 

As for the rest of the tweet, I used to be the keep-the-freshmen-in-redshirt guy, but the freshmen are so good nowadays that I've questioned this policy. Kannon Webster will be wrestling in the Pan Ams this week, Braeden Scoles and Chris Moore are studs. They could certainly fit in. But will they? 

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

If this is true—and Mark always seems to have good information—the Tony Madrigal signing not only makes sense finally but also looks like the smart play. Not too long ago, Lucas Byrd was helping to train the ILLINOIS National Duals teams with no apparent injury. Then, he had a pretty big cast or wrap around his wrist and hand. But I still have questions, as always. 

Byrd was listed as going to the U23 US Open and he had to be the favorite to make the U23 World Team in Greco. He was an age-level World Teamer in Greco. Does that mean he can take an Olympic redshirt? If that is not an automatic qualification, does he use the tail end of an injury redshirt season to prepare for the Olympics? That has to be one of his dreams, right? 

As for the rest of the tweet, I used to be the keep-the-freshmen-in-redshirt guy, but the freshmen are so good nowadays that I've questioned this policy. Kannon Webster will be wrestling in the Pan Ams this week, Braeden Scoles and Chris Moore are studs. They could certainly fit in. But will they? 

I think Webster especially will be a likely starter next year.  I guess at 149 

• Fire 1

13 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I think Webster especially will be a likely starter next year.  I guess at 149 

Asking around and it looks like Webster was in the room during the season this last year and rolled Davenport up quite easily while also giving up a good 15-20lbs.  Davenport has HEW.  I still would love to see him at UofM trying to get that spark back.  In the state of Michigan he was the toughest out for Facundo.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Asking around and it looks like Webster was in the room during the season this last year and rolled Davenport up quite easily while also giving up a good 15-20lbs.  Davenport has HEW.  I still would love to see him at UofM trying to get that spark back.  In the state of Michigan he was the toughest out for Facundo.

Amine literally beat him?

19 minutes ago, Lurk_Nowitzki said:

Amine literally beat him?

I watched that match in-person.  The ref's beat Facundo.  Amine was just there for it.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me