Braunagel over Ruth: fatality in 0:05

BAC

14 minutes ago, BAC said:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/7985064-2023-u23-u20-world-team-trials/videos?playing=11022697&limit=60

Ruth’s own fault for choosing paper. Rookie rock-paper-scissors mistake. 

Proving once again that Illinois is the better wrestling state!  It was a very slick move.  🙂

and where is @ILLINIWrestlingBlog?

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Proving once again that Illinois is the better wrestling state!  It was a very slick move.  🙂

and where is @ILLINIWrestlingBlog?

As a fan who discovered the Illini wrestling blog this past year myself, perhaps Edmond is also a reader. 

for example, this post https://illiniwrestling.blogspot.com/2023/03/the-illini-b1g-tournament-preview-vol-3.html?m=1

165.  DANNY BRAUNAGEL

The ILLINI has faced injuries again this year, with the latest being a progressively larger wrap on his hand until he missed the last dual against Iowa State. The time off was likely for recuperative purposes, but I have no insider knowledge about that. 

see, if Dan’s hand was giving him trouble in recent memory, he probably wasn’t drilling his scissors motions back when he was wrestling with a wrap or tape or whatever on his hand. So a safe bet would be that Dan would choose paper or rock. If paper ties paper and paper beat rock, the value of Ruth choosing paper might be 0.75 (out of 1). Similarly, scissors vs paper (win) or rock (loss) has a ex ante value of 0.5. Rock would be the worse choice in this scenario, as the value is 0.25 (tie vs rock, loss car paper). 

however, Danny, an academic all-district honoree (whatever that is)

So he probably KNEW that Edmond KNEW, and practiced scissors before the face off, or perhaps Dan just used his other hand.

Though I wonder if Edmond knew that Dan knew about the scissors practice…however, if Dan was extra astute, he probably counted on Edmond knowing that Dan knew that Edmond knew that Dan knew about Edmonds initial strategy, and that is likely what made the difference.

either way, a fun moment between teammates.

both gents are among of my favorite Illini to watch wrestle. Hoping for big things from both next year, though I am kind of curious who would have won in a real match. I’d guess Edmond, but that’s based on watching them in duals during the season and the fact he’s maybe a bit bigger but I have no idea how they match up in practice, plus this was Greco, so who knows. 

• Fire 2

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

they VIN one of them...

Yes, I know... Braunagle got 3rd.

But as MNRodent pointed out ,and as I heard on the audio... 

The  mat chairman, along w/ the mat judge and ref. are...

dean-cain-not-funny.gif

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

It's been three crazy days.

ILLINI fans are blessed to have large contingents wrestling Freestyle and Greco in both age divisions. That means I get to watch a lot of wrestling and have no time to add to The ILLINI Wrestling Blog and Forum and Beyond. I did manage to get one short highlight video done, and it includes that Ruth/Brawlnagel match:

My research has found two previous matches between the two. At the Cadet National Duals about six years ago, Edmond won by tech fall for Team Pennsylvania. Last year at Nationals, at 79kg, Brawny won by a single point. For the folks complaining that they should've wrestled each other yesterday: Braunagel wrestled 8 matches today, while Ruth wrestled 5. They both wrestled 4 matches the day before to get to the third-place match.  

• Fire 2