This is just getting ridiculous

Eagle26

3 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

my comment had a typo that I already edited 30 seconds after I posted it

I should pay less attention. Bob gives you fifteen minutes to say what you mean.

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Taco had a Freudian slip but he edited

Sorry fellas. Carry on...

5 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Taco had a Freudian slip but he edited

Hypothetically, let's say Iowa was giving out ten extra scholarships per year from 1976-1990, wouldn't that make their recruiting look even worse? 11 top HS recruits in 15 years while also having extra scholarship money to dish out doesn't exactly jibe with your theory.

You know, you can just admit that you are wrong and we can all move on, right?

1 minute ago, Jamie_Taco said:

No, your opinions just got debunked with the facts.

Listen. You're obviously on your menstrual cycle. We can go on forever and argue or I can be the man in this situation and realize we'll never see eye to eye and exit the conversation.  

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

2 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Listen. You're obviously on your menstrual cycle. We can go on forever and argue or I can be the man in this situation and realize we'll never see eye to eye and exit the conversation.  

This man gets hit with the facts and instead of being an adult and admitting he was wrong, he makes a menstrual cycle joke. You're an assclown lol.

"I HaVe NoThInG aGaInSt IoWa AnD tHeIr PrOgRaM"

3 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

This man gets hit with the facts and instead of being an adult and admitting he was wrong, he makes a menstrual cycle joke. You're an assclown lol.

"I HaVe NoThInG aGaInSt IoWa AnD tHeIr PrOgRaM"

And like a woman on her period you wont stop arguing.  Enjoy your Sunday

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

4 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Wrestling USA Magazine, which is about the only rankings I know of from back then.

Barry and Royce weren't even Iowa HS 4xers, TJ was a community college recruit and never wrestled for Gable, the Banach's were multiple sport athletes and weren't top 10 recruits, and Tom Ryan transferred to Iowa from Syracuse, so I highly doubt he just showed up one day lol.

Someone made the comment that Iowa stockpiled talent just like PSU is doing, and the fact is, that's simply not true. Gable was a master motivator and was known for developing good, not great, kids into champs (e.g. Chris Campbell won a single HS state title, then went to on to win three NCAA titles, a world gold, and an Olympic medal). Sure he had some top guys come in over the years as I've shown, but it was nothing in comparison to what we are seeing happen with Cael and PSU.

In June 1989, Ryan turned his back on a scholarship and drove from New York to Iowa. He entered the wrestling room as a hopeful walk-on for the Hawkeyes.
"Who are you?" Gable asked.
"I'm Tom. I go to Syracuse, but I'm going to transfer here," Ryan replied.
"Well," said Gable, "you're not going to get any better sitting there."
Gable told Ryan to work out with twin brothers Troy and Terry Steiner, both national champs.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/college/2015/12/17/ohio-state-wrestling-coach-tom/23771442007/

You can highly doubt it, but it's a pretty well known story for an Iowa fan to have never heard. 

The rest of this..."they weren't even 4Xers." So what?
They were two sport starts...right. Instead of the famous specialization that went on in the 1980s?

4 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Someone made the comment that Iowa stockpiled talent just like PSU is doing, and the fact is, that's simply not true.

It kinda is though...with all due deference to Wrestling USA Magazine, I stand behind all my points and I think you're just guessing at some of yours. 

TJ Williams...committed when Gable was the coach. TJ Williams committed to Gable because he saw the success they had and he wanted to have that same type of success. That he's a JUCO is a ridiculous response to me. So what?

Take Messenbrink and Kerkvliet off your lists if you're going to dismiss someone because they didn't committ to the school immediately out of College.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scourge165 said:
In June 1989, Ryan turned his back on a scholarship and drove from New York to Iowa. He entered the wrestling room as a hopeful walk-on for the Hawkeyes.
"Who are you?" Gable asked.
"I'm Tom. I go to Syracuse, but I'm going to transfer here," Ryan replied.
"Well," said Gable, "you're not going to get any better sitting there."
Gable told Ryan to work out with twin brothers Troy and Terry Steiner, both national champs.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/college/2015/12/17/ohio-state-wrestling-coach-tom/23771442007/

You can highly doubt it, but it's a pretty well known story for an Iowa fan to have never heard. 

The rest of this..."they weren't even 4Xers." So what?
They were two sport starts...right. Instead of the famous specialization that went on in the 1980s?

It kinda is though...with all due deference to Wrestling USA Magazine, I stand behind all my points and I think you're just guessing at some of yours. 

TJ Williams...committed when Gable was the coach. TJ Williams committed to Gable because he saw the success they had and he wanted to have that same type of success. That he's a JUCO is a ridiculous response to me. So what?

Take Messenbrink and Kerkvliet off your lists if you're going to dismiss someone because they didn't committ to the school immediately out of College.

Guessing?! Keep reading, bud.

2 hours ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Again, he was not. Royce graduated in 1983 from Lisbon High School and didn't even make the OTHER ALL-AMERICA SELECTIONS let alone the DREAM TEAM. Pretty cool to see John Smith on there though!

https://www.wrestlingusa.com/high-school/ewExternalFiles/1983 High School All-Americans.pdf

Ok...so lets say Royce Alger wasn't a top recruit.

He had two D1 coaches at his house 15 minutes before Midnight and Dan Gable thought he was a big enough recruit to personally go there and try and convince him to flip from UNI to Iowa...and he did it.

He didn't even have to recruit Brinzer or Ryan(I didn't know he didn't recruit Brinzer, just taking your word on that one).

26 minutes ago, Jamie_Taco said:

Guessing?! Keep reading, bud.

Ok...I ACTUALLY provided facts. Dan Gable didn't know who Tom Ryan was. Tom Ryan showed up at Iowa as a walk on to Wrestle for Gable and ended up in the National Finals.

And that you showed me a list of All-American's and Royce Alger wasn't on it simply only tells me that one list...is a comically bad one.

Again, verbal with UNI for a full scholarship.

Iowa shows up with 40% 15 minutes before signing day...before MIDNIGHT on signing day with the UNI coach in the driveway, and Alger flips to Iowa.

That should all you need to know.

But for some strange reason, you need it to have been tougher for Iowa? I don't know. I'm still waiting for those class rankings you promised. All you did was show the AA teams by weight and the first two I looked at had Iowa Wrestlers in there and absolutely ZERO class rankings. 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, scourge165 said:

Ok...so lets say Royce Alger wasn't a top recruit.

He had two D1 coaches at his house 15 minutes before Midnight and Dan Gable thought he was a big enough recruit to personally go there and try and convince him to flip from UNI to Iowa...and he did it.

He didn't even have to recruit Brinzer or Ryan(I didn't know he didn't recruit Brinzer, just taking your word on that one).

I mean, we have to say that because again, he wasn't a top-rated recruit according to the people who actually ranked HS recruits back then. This isn't up for debate. If you want to say that Gable could evaluate talent and ability better than most, sure, I agree with you there, but he wasn't just taking the top recruits at the time.

I didn't know that story about Ryan, so thank you for sharing. You can go add one more top wrestler to Gable's recruits. It still doesn't do anything to move the needle in terms of comparison to what's currently happening at PSU. I just proved this with documented facts.

Just now, scourge165 said:

Ok...I ACTUALLY provided facts. Dan Gable didn't know who Tom Ryan was. Tom Ryan showed up at Iowa as a walk on to Wrestle for Gable and ended up in the National Finals.

And that you showed me a list of All-American's and Royce Alger wasn't on it simply only tells me that one list...is a comically bad one.

Again, verbal with UNI for a full scholarship.

Iowa shows up with 40% 15 minutes before signing day...before MIDNIGHT on signing day with the UNI coach in the driveway, and Alger flips to Iowa.

That should all you need to know.

But for some strange reason, you need it to have been tougher for Iowa? I don't know. I'm still waiting for those class rankings you promised. All you did was show the AA teams by weight and the first two I looked at had Iowa Wrestlers in there and absolutely ZERO class rankings. 

You were right about one story and one wrestler over a 21-year career 😂. I thanked you for educating me but it does very little to prove anyone trying to say that Iowa stockpiled top recruits.

If you think the ASIC All-American lists are comically bad, I encourage you to link us to a different ranking system from 1983 that had Alger on it.

• Haha 1

@scourge165 is also going with the ol "the rankings were wrong" argument to prove his point. How convenient to look back and make that determination after the fact lol.

Again, show us literally anything from 1983 where Alger was listed as a top-rated HS recruit and I will admit I am wrong. You can't though lol.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

I lost interest.  

Same here. If you want to argue that Royce Alger(of all the Wrestlers) wasn't a top recruit because it makes you feel like you REALLY earned it and PSU isn't...whatever.

Bottom line is Penn State is absolutely destroying the field.

1 minute ago, Jamie_Taco said:

@scourge165 is also going with the ol "the rankings were wrong" argument to prove his point. How convenient to look back and make that determination after the fact lol.

Again, show us literally anything from 1983 where Alger was listed as a top-rated HS recruit and I will admit I am wrong. You can't though lol.

It's not looking back. It's look AT THE TIME and seeing a 3X State Champ, JR National Champ who had two coaches in his driveway and thinking...the Asics All American team is not the ultimate authority on who the top ranked Wrestlers were and that JUUUUST maybe a time before the internet and the recruiting showcases and the other National Tournaments, one Wrestler not showing up on one list is less indicative of how good of a recruit he was than the coaches  who were AT HIS HOUSE trying to sign him the minute he was eligible to sign.

But...go back to your schooling!

Just now, scourge165 said:

Same here. If you want to argue that Royce Alger(of all the Wrestlers) wasn't a top recruit because it makes you feel like you REALLY earned it and PSU isn't...whatever.

Bottom line is Penn State is absolutely destroying the field.

You're arguing it but have not done a single thing to prove it besides sharing a story you read about 30 years after his recruitment. I provided the actual rankings from 1983. It doesn't matter if you think they are wrong or not. They are the rankings.

So I will ask one more time. Please show us ANY other ranking system from Royce's senior year that had him listed as a top recruit. Do it or just take the L.

Also, who TF is arguing that PSU isn't destroying the field? I think we all agree there lol.