Wisconsin Signing

CalWrestler

Chris Bono tweeted today that its It is a great day to be badger !   This is his code that he has made a noteworthy signing.  Robert Snider then retweeted after "Best news ever after a 6 mile run!"

The biggest name high school targets have been Koy Hopke and Angelo Ferarri who took a recent visit.

Anyone think Hopke or Ferarri could be on their way to Madison?

Of course, Messenbrink, Nagao or Shane Griffith would be big fish too, but not sure if any of them were considering the Badgers.  

It also could be pure hype and be a lesser name.

Any thoughts?

• Fire 1

I'd assume Angelo before Hopke at this point.

I think Messenbrink or Griffith are LONG shots and not sure Nagao would go from Minnesota to Wisconsin.

The best news for Wisconsin WOULD be Hopke though. So if it's really the "best news ever," in terms of recruiting, it'd be Hopke. I'd just be surprised if he made his decision before he took his other visits. 

• Fire 1

Griffith said in an article that he is still finishing his Master's and is still taking visits so I don't think that he would announce yet. 

On a separate note, was cool to see HIlger win the Medal of Honor award. Good for him. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I would guess he does this for every commit. 

Does he really distinguish between the "big" commits and lessor hyped ones?    That would be odd and kind of disrespectful to not be hyped after someone, regardless of recruiting ranking, just made a major life decision to come wrestle for you.

3 hours ago, Laxhawk174 said:

Angelo is still taking his Iowa visit sometime in May. Cancelled his ISU visit, not sure if Rutgers visit is still on or not. I would be shocked if it was him committing to the Badgers, and extremely frustrated if I'm being honest. 

Or Iowa State cancelled his visit

• Fire 1

32 minutes ago, CalWrestler said:

I have never heard of him.  Is this a great signing by Bono?

I would not call it great

IMO these are the type of things that do not play well in Bono's favor, Badger fans immediately think its Hopke or Messinbrink, or Griffin, and It is Shane Liegel with one year of eligibility left, maybe 2 and don't get me wrong he is a great kid, but not what most people were hoping for with the Hype

3 minutes ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

I would not call it great

IMO these are the type of things that do not play well in Bono's favor, Badger fans immediately think its Hopke or Messinbrink, or Griffin, and It is Shane Liegel with one year of eligibility left, maybe 2 and don't get me wrong he is a great kid, but not what most people were hoping for with the Hype

No Wisconsin fan was tricked by that tweet.  That is what Bono says for all the signings.

• Fire 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

4 hours ago, Laxhawk174 said:

Angelo is still taking his Iowa visit sometime in May. Cancelled his ISU visit, not sure if Rutgers visit is still on or not. I would be shocked if it was him committing to the Badgers, and extremely frustrated if I'm being honest. 

Hopke has Wisconsin listed first in his top 5, Angelo has Iowa listed first in his top 5, and his brothers are going there, so presumably it's going to be Hopke to Wisconsin, Angelo to Iowa. Anything else you see is speculation at this point. I'll be shocked if the Ferrari clan doesn't stick together after what they have been through collectively. If i'm big AJ I put all 3 boys in 1 location where I can watch em, with a hawk eye, pun intended 

19 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

Hopke has Wisconsin listed first in his top 5, Angelo has Iowa listed first in his top 5, and his brothers are going there, so presumably it's going to be Hopke to Wisconsin, Angelo to Iowa. Anything else you see is speculation at this point. I'll be shocked if the Ferrari clan doesn't stick together after what they have been through collectively. If i'm big AJ I put all 3 boys in 1 location where I can watch em, with a hawk eye, pun intended 

As a Wisconsin alum, I would love to get Hopke.  But why wouldn't he go to Heavyweight U?

• Fire 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

25 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

ahh ... what exactly have they "been through?"

Thats been their modus operandi to all move to one location and by doing so they are 3x to 5x more likely to create a problem.  Big AJ is the problem, who's gonna watch him?

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BlacknGold said:

I think we're more likely to see Kueter at 197 lbs for Iowa next season than AJ. I say that because unless the charges are dropped, or he is offered a plea to a lesser non-sexual offense (I doubt the University would admit him with any sex crime hanging over his head), he will be headed to a Jury trial, and I doubt he fares well in that scenario. He would have to be acquitted at trial by a jury, or there would have to be at least one holdout (could be wrong on that). My point being, if we're looking at probability, as it stands right now the odds are very low he see's a college mat, let alone Iowa. 

22 minutes ago, ionel said:

ahh ... what exactly have they "been through?"

Thats been their modus operandi to all move to one location and by doing so they are 3x to 5x more likely to create a problem.  Big AJ is the problem, who's gonna watch him?

He didn't raise and feed the 3 boys and put them in position to get full ride scholarships? 

35 minutes ago, jchapman said:

As a Wisconsin alum, I would love to get Hopke.  But why wouldn't he go to Heavyweight U?

Does Hopke train at Pinacle? Where does Minnesota fit in this recruitment war.? I also hope we land him. If by chance we do land him who does he roll with in the wrestling room at Wisconsin to make sure he continues to improve 

• Fire 1