UFC/WWE

billyhoyle

What do people think of this merger? 

5 years ago (and for the 5-10 years before that), I wouldn't miss a single big UFC event.  It was an exciting sport.  But to be honest, I feel like the sport has basically become a sham/joke in the past 5 years-more about spectacle than actual competition.  I think the merger with WWE only solidifies this and will take it to the extreme.

I think this decision by UFC is a bit of a capitulation to a realization that they aren't ever going to become mainstream, and they are entirely reliant on the spectacle created by people like Mcgregor, Lesnar, etc.  

10 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

What do people think of this merger? 

5 years ago (and for the 5-10 years before that), I wouldn't miss a single big UFC event.  It was an exciting sport.  But to be honest, I feel like the sport has basically become a sham/joke in the past 5 years-more about spectacle than actual competition.  I think the merger with WWE only solidifies this and will take it to the extreme.

I think this decision by UFC is a bit of a capitulation to a realization that they aren't ever going to become mainstream, and they are entirely reliant on the spectacle created by people like Mcgregor, Lesnar, etc.  

It is pretty mainstream.

• Fire 1

similar to OP...

did not miss a fight for years, but, about the same time it just got too much with all the extra curricular shenanigans...

felt greasy...

add in the the worst fan base in the history of ever...

but...

i have watched several of the last few cards with the boy... he is coming to the realization that he would rather eat ground glass than sit at a desk like i do... throw in whop his coaches are now and it is pretty clear he will go into fighting and beat up a few bums after chasing immortality...

the competition in the UFC is still worthwhile, but, everything else that goes along with it is scummy...

aligning with the WWE in whatever fashion is happening will not change anything except bring more promotion...