Women’s college wrestling

peanut

3 hours ago, LJB said:

you do not want to be explaining to the ever present casual fans why the women's style is so much better than what the boys are wrestling... 

better keep those days seperate...

I'm sure all those freestyle fans will really boost the viewing numbers!

• Haha 1

I do not believe they will be able to run the NCAA Tournament and the Women's Tournament together ever if the Women continue to wrestle Freestyle.  2 completely different tournaments would not go over well.  I still do not know why we are doing Freestyle with the Women in College.  It really does not make sense to me.  I know there will be a lot of people bashing me on that comment, but I just do not see the benefits.  The girls that are going to College to wrestle are competing in Folkstyle and then they are changing them over to Freestyle.  Somebody said earlier in one of the other replies that a lot of girls are just learning about Folkstyle and then they expect to wrestle in College and convert to Freestyle?  I'm a huge fan of all 3 styles, but I think it would be a huge mistake if the NCAA ever just went to Freestyle.  I'm sure some of you feel differently, so let me hear it.  

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Husker U said:

I do not believe they will be able to run the NCAA Tournament and the Women's Tournament together ever if the Women continue to wrestle Freestyle.  2 completely different tournaments would not go over well.  I still do not know why we are doing Freestyle with the Women in College.  It really does not make sense to me.  I know there will be a lot of people bashing me on that comment, but I just do not see the benefits.  The girls that are going to College to wrestle are competing in Folkstyle and then they are changing them over to Freestyle.  Somebody said earlier in one of the other replies that a lot of girls are just learning about Folkstyle and then they expect to wrestle in College and convert to Freestyle?  I'm a huge fan of all 3 styles, but I think it would be a huge mistake if the NCAA ever just went to Freestyle.  I'm sure some of you feel differently, so let me hear it.  

I don’t think they would ever run a women’s and men’s tournament together.

But it might make sense — eventually — to have the women’s finals on the same day, ending before the men’s finals begin. It might draw more viewers that way. 

I think I heard earlier this week that Tony Cassiopi's sister is going to wrestle at Iowa which is great. 

For those of us who don't follow Womens College Wrestling what's the best place to get up to speed on the programs? I always hear Simon Fraser, King College, and maybe a few others attached to the names of Junior and Senior freestylers but there are a lot of programs on that list that I'm unfamiliar with.

8 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I think I heard earlier this week that Tony Cassiopi's sister is going to wrestle at Iowa which is great. 

For those of us who don't follow Womens College Wrestling what's the best place to get up to speed on the programs? I always hear Simon Fraser, King College, and maybe a few others attached to the names of Junior and Senior freestylers but there are a lot of programs on that list that I'm unfamiliar with.

McKendree has been one the last few years (granted Coach Schmitz left)

For NAIA, Grandview, Life, Jamestown are some good ones

I’ve heard in the rumor mill Bellarmine is trying very hard to start one soon…

15 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Which school produces the most national and world team members for USAW?

Which school has the most Olympic medalists?

Which school has the longest tenured coaches at their current position?

28 minutes ago, Husker U said:

A lot of people wonder why we do folkstyle and not freestyle for the guys.

• Fire 1

41 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

A lot of people wonder why we do folkstyle and not freestyle for the guys.

If you could convince me that switching to freestyle wouldn’t turn wrestling into just another club sport. Id be all for it. 

Freestyle purists would have to accept having the slam rule during the season though 

2 hours ago, Mike Parrish said:

Which school produces the most national and world team members for USAW?

Which school has the most Olympic medalists?

Which school has the longest tenured coaches at their current position?

I knew this was the place to ask! 😀 I'll take it all, even if it's just interesting history or backstories of women's programs. Or who their versions of Iowa and Okla St are. 

2 hours ago, Husker U said:

I assume they are sticking with Freestyle because that is how the women colleges do it now and Iowa is technically just joining the existing format.  As far as converting from folk to free style that is how it is currently done so that really isn't new. 

But if men and women were competing in the same style, you could use the same refs/rules for back to back mens/womens duals; easier practice schedules for teams that have both, and even have them in the same tournaments (scuffle/midlands, etc.) and save on travel expenses.  It could lead to more D1 womens teams.