2024 Recruiting Class

1 hour ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

@Laxhawk174 do you know if we are recruiting Cody Merrill? 

I think maybe to some level, not sure how hard Iowa is pursuing him though - M* is definitely recruiting multiple people on his HS Gilroy team. Corby mentioned to me on HR that he will be a college HWT, so.. Kueter could present a roadblock he doesn't want to deal with. 

44 minutes ago, Laxhawk174 said:

I think maybe to some level, not sure how hard Iowa is pursuing him though - M* is definitely recruiting multiple people on his HS Gilroy team. Corby mentioned to me on HR that he will be a college HWT, so.. Kueter could present a roadblock he doesn't want to deal with. 

Just curious with most of the people assuming that Kueter won’t be in wrestling too long. He’d be a great get and a great way to start a pipeline from Gilroy! Plus they have a bunch of studs in their 25 class 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Just curious with most of the people assuming that Kueter won’t be in wrestling too long. He’d be a great get and a great way to start a pipeline from Gilroy! Plus they have a bunch of studs in their 25 class 

I absolutely agree, he is a stud, and I'm with you on the Gilroy pipeline. I'm not ready to ship Kueter off to the NFL just yet like so many non-Iowa fans are. The fact he chose to sign up for SR's at the US Open proves he is just as serious about wrestling as he is football, IMO. And he still might try for another age level world team yet this summer. 

Stanford is still in the mix for Merrill. though i agree it would make a ton of sense for M* to be on him too. 

i get the impression from M* that the staff is more optimistic regarding Kueter being available to wrestle than the general public (myself included) seems to be. 

TBD

4 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

Stanford is still in the mix for Merrill. though i agree it would make a ton of sense for M* to be on him too. 

i get the impression from M* that the staff is more optimistic regarding Kueter being available to wrestle than the general public (myself included) seems to be. 

Yeah, Merrill is a great prospect. Honestly, he’s the best Heavy weight prospect In this class, the kid is a stud.  I would be extremely in awe if we (Iowa) weren’t after him. Getting him would help us get a pipeline started with Cormiers club and Gilroy. 

I bet ASU must be in the mix as well. @Husker_Du are there any other prospects you are excited about in the class of 2025 that are unsigned? 

I love the class of '25. that being said, i am almost always the highest in a class at the end of their SO season.

there's only 2 committed guys - Dalton Perry (PSU) and Landon Robideau (MINN)

i think you could make a case that that class has as many as 30 guys that could be 'elite' by the time they graduate. 

so i'm pretty excited about all of them.

• Fire 2

TBD

On 4/27/2023 at 4:04 PM, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Yeah, Merrill is a great prospect. Honestly, he’s the best Heavy weight prospect In this class, the kid is a stud.  I would be extremely in awe if we (Iowa) weren’t after him. Getting him would help us get a pipeline started with Cormiers club and Gilroy. 

I bet ASU must be in the mix as well. @Husker_Du are there any other prospects you are excited about in the class of 2025 that are unsigned? 

My bad, I meant what other prospects are you excited about in the 2024 class that are unsigned? @Husker_Du

12 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

I love the class of '25. that being said, i am almost always the highest in a class at the end of their SO season.

there's only 2 committed guys - Dalton Perry (PSU) and Landon Robideau (MINN)

i think you could make a case that that class has as many as 30 guys that could be 'elite' by the time they graduate. 

so i'm pretty excited about all of them.

But I agree, literally there are so many studs in 2025! Some serious hammers 💪

17 hours ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

@Laxhawk174 hopefully we start building out that Gilroy pipeline for Iowa because they seem to be good so far in Vegas! 

10-4 on that one. I also hope that Iowa snatches up Victor Voinivich from the portal, and recruits his younger brother Kael from Stillwater HS. Make inroads there and make Iowa a more attractive landing spot for LaDarian Lockett. 

2024 Available that i like - there's not many, actually. and very few elite.

• #3-Hopke of course - commits shortly. not much baggage/questions at all, really. although he really hasn't hit the elite of the elite. 

• #5-Ferrari and #6-Merrill - i think there are some concerns with both. Neither have wrestled much at all.

• #19-Cerchio has really great results. All those Delbarton kids go ivy though, and frankly, other than Glory, they didn't have much DI impact.

• #21-Rune Lawrence - not sure how i feel about him. Good, but how good? Cael kicked the tires there but ultimately went with the Mirasolas. Rune will be going HWT and he's going to announce in the next few days as well. 

• A few HWT's that are unclear of sport in college

Here's a couple sleepers w/ upside imo - 

#73-Karson Tompkins, HWT from TX

#128-Chris Crawford from seminary is all upside imo. if he figures it out he could be really good.

TBD

On 5/6/2023 at 8:36 AM, Husker_Du said:

2024 Available that i like - there's not many, actually. and very few elite.

• #3-Hopke of course - commits shortly. not much baggage/questions at all, really. although he really hasn't hit the elite of the elite. 

• #5-Ferrari and #6-Merrill - i think there are some concerns with both. Neither have wrestled much at all.

• #19-Cerchio has really great results. All those Delbarton kids go ivy though, and frankly, other than Glory, they didn't have much DI impact.

• #21-Rune Lawrence - not sure how i feel about him. Good, but how good? Cael kicked the tires there but ultimately went with the Mirasolas. Rune will be going HWT and he's going to announce in the next few days as well. 

• A few HWT's that are unclear of sport in college

Here's a couple sleepers w/ upside imo - 

#73-Karson Tompkins, HWT from TX

#128-Chris Crawford from seminary is all upside imo. if he figures it out he could be really good.

I always thought Rune Lawrence was going to go to Lehigh; but I guess we will see where he may land soon! 

I would hope Angelo comes to Iowa; but we will see where he may land. I would honestly be shocked if he lands elsewhere; but we will see! 

I also feel like Cerchio will go Princeton or Penn for a lot of Delbarton wrestlers find themselves at those ivy’s. 

Merrill is a stud, I would bet a lot of people are on him. I’m interested to see how he is as a HWT prospect. Especially since he hasn’t wrestled much recently. @Husker_Du does he have a school list? All I know is Stanford is heavy on him and I would guess Arizona St.

4 hours ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

I always thought Rune Lawrence was going to go to Lehigh; but I guess we will see where he may land soon! 

I would hope Angelo comes to Iowa; but we will see where he may land. I would honestly be shocked if he lands elsewhere; but we will see! 

I also feel like Cerchio will go Princeton or Penn for a lot of Delbarton wrestlers find themselves at those ivy’s. 

Merrill is a stud, I would bet a lot of people are on him. I’m interested to see how he is as a HWT prospect. Especially since he hasn’t wrestled much recently. @Husker_Du does he have a school list? All I know is Stanford is heavy on him and I would guess Arizona St.

Waoh, NeverMind👀 Rune Lawrence commits to WVU!

• 1 month later...

@Husker_Du What are your predictions on where Cody Merrill to land? He is one of the last big time recruits in this class. I know you said Stanford is still in the mix but I’m curious on what his recruiting process may look like now. 

I’m excited to see him at Fargo against a great field of HWT prospects at Fargo

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

@Husker_Du What are your predictions on where Cody Merrill to land? He is one of the last big time recruits in this class. I know you said Stanford is still in the mix but I’m curious on what his recruiting process may look like now. 

I’m excited to see him at Fargo against a great field of HWT prospects at Fargo

Love Merrill.  He's a future NCAA champ in my view

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 4:41 PM, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Agee! That’s why I’m interested in where he may land 

Does Cody Merrill have a college list?!? Legit an amazing HWT prospect, I believe he will win a title, if not more, when he enters college. 

@Husker_Du do you know where he is interested in? All I hear is Stanford, is there other colleges in contention?