Starocci bad sportsmanship?

Jimmy Cinnabon

While it's kind of weird for someone at Starocci's level to get so very worked up by an opponent nowhere near, some super competitive guys always look to find motivation somewhere.  Watch Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame induction speech sometime - the pettiness and score settling byt this demigod with mere mortals is beyond cringing.  

On 2/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, Southend said:

If you talk shit you have to back it up, I think he can. 

I disagree 100%. In his trials interview he called Burroughs and Marsteller average wrestlers and was unimpressed.  If he is a great wrestler he should have beaten Chance and teched the very average Olympic champ Jordan Burroughs. Dude puts down wrestlers and then shows limited offense and squeaks by average wrestlers. He doesn’t back anything up and can’t wait to see him looking at the ceiling when he goes MMA. 

From the earlier article

"At first glance, the social media posts certainly appear to be cocky and extreme, which they probably are. But that’s Starocci’s brand."

Probably? Does it being his "brand" make it better?

Not specific to CS but being an amazing NCAA wrestler is great. Doing it without being an a**hole as a person is better. 

That said, I'm so glad that I wasn't given the opportunity to immortalize all of the stupid things I thought were cool when I was young.

• Fire 3

13 hours ago, CropDuster507 said:

I'd be willing to guess part of his NIL deals is tied to social media. His future earnings are probably somewhat tied to them.

Without this, how many would be talking about PSU-Indiana?

The system created this.

So he has no choice in what he posts?

The debate over brash and humble continues - godless, crazy, a**hole, wild, flawed, poor sport! 

I'm old enough to remember the Cassius Clay controversies when I was a kid.  And I'm aware of controversies that predate Ali.   The thing is that Ali and others had the talent, skills and charisma to help tilt the cultural bandwagon, making brash the acceptable (and for many the most desirable) cultural choice of later generations.  But the occasional humble athlete and the old timers (culturally not necessarily age; in my case both) keep the debate alive.  

If Cater were on an opposition team he'd be on my villain list for sure.  But since I'm a PSU fan I won't pearl clutch on this one.  As long as he doesn't go criminal (almost did but coaches stepped in thankfully), I'll sit back and enjoy his wrestling.   Over the course of a college career, some colorful personalities turn out alright (e.g., DeSanto) and some not so much (e.g., AJ).  Here's to hoping Carter threads the needle and continues his career as colorful and not criminal. 

• Fire 2

After rewatching the dual, I am convinced that the match time drama was separate from what was said on Twitter. Starocci was just flexing on social media, nothing more. During introductions, he and DJW shook hands like normal. Same when they shook hands before the match, nothing special. It looked like Starocci got frustrated in-match when DJW took him down and tried to slow down the action. Can't let an opponent get into your head like that.