Out of Bounds (neutral)

D3UC157

There is a continuous rumbling amongst the people for/against a push-out rule.

How would we feel with a modification of the current out of bounds calls.. removing the ‘action’ option?

Every time wrestling ends out of bounds (when neutral) there is a stalling call. Be it on one guy or double stalling.

Technically, going out of bounds is avoiding wrestling in some form. 

If we don’t like the push-out as a tactic the guy strictly pushing out can be hit for stalling (which is currently the rule but never called)

• Fire 1

The current rules are fine if enforced. Your rule is a nice compromise but honestly we should tell the free style fans to kick rocks with their opinions as their own sport is a mess. The step out being implemented would destroy the sport and is an awful idea.

I can't see how it would destroy the sport.  There's plenty of action in Freestyle because of it, and a lot happens on the edge.  Someone is going to score if they go out while on their feet.  Nope, not in folkstyle.  People use the edge constantly to avoid being scored upon.

I used to have 8 guys that would go with me to nationals.  That's about half now.  I'm not joking when I say a significant factor was going out of bounds to avoid wrestling.  As one guy said, "I came to watch some action . . . not constant walking back to the center for restarts."

• Fire 2

6 hours ago, D3UC157 said:

There is a continuous rumbling amongst the people for/against a push-out rule.

How would we feel with a modification of the current out of bounds calls.. removing the ‘action’ option?

Every time wrestling ends out of bounds (when neutral) there is a stalling call. Be it on one guy or double stalling.

Technically, going out of bounds is avoiding wrestling in some form. 

If we don’t like the push-out as a tactic the guy strictly pushing out can be hit for stalling (which is currently the rule but never called)

I get what you're trying to do with that rule but think it a pushout would be much better.  The automatic stalling is still subjective - which wrestler do we hit with the call.  Pushout rule is objective, and I think that's a big part of why it's been a substantial plus overall.

This would be a good move.  The lack of action in the 3 minute first period gets too many matches off to a bad start.  The sport is suffering.  Even Penn State matches have less action.  

I thought that the Tom Brands press conference on this, assuming I heard things correctly, showed the problem.  First, his simple retort is that they sell out NCAAs so you can't say there's anything wrong with the product - college wrestling leaders, don't take this for granted, if you do it will be too late before you realize you've got a problem.  Don't be Rod Blagojevich - I've got this thing and it's f'ing golden.  

Also he was asked and answered generally about moving toward freestyle.  I don't think they have to move toward freestyle.  They just have to add one objective rule, which freestyle itself added not long ago to address the same problem.  This is necessary because the referees make it as clear as they possibly can, every single match of every single season, that they are not comfortable with aggressive subjective stalling calls being the answer to the problem.  

• Fire 2