MU VS OU and OSU this Weekend

Preceptor

1 minute ago, MizzouFan01 said:

R Elam losses 5-4 to Surber. Just not good wrestling today for the Tigers. Wow

Some of this is just bad reffing. They are actually counting to 5 - loudly, we can hear them, and then they just stop counting and still don’t give a stall call. Some stalemates are called in less than 3 seconds, some are going on and on - until time runs out.  Horrible. 

Mizzou losses on criteria. 16-16 and most match points was the deciding factor. Okie State won when it mattered on the mat. They won 2/3 matches where they were ranked way lower. Give them credit. Mizzou looked super flat today. Gotta clean up the attacks to finish. Hawks, has 0 offense from neutral. That knee grab or whatever it’s called seems to be all he has. Straight on blast doubles don’t work without setups. We have work to do, that’s obvious. 

17 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Mizzou losses on criteria. 16-16 and most match points was the deciding factor. Okie State won when it mattered on the mat. They won 2/3 matches where they were ranked way lower. Give them credit. Mizzou looked super flat today. Gotta clean up the attacks to finish. Hawks, has 0 offense from neutral. That knee grab or whatever it’s called seems to be all he has. Straight on blast doubles don’t work without setups. We have work to do, that’s obvious. 

Yes 0 offense. How in the world did he get the first takedown? 🙄 because as a #26 ranked he was expected - by all, to destroy the #11 ranked he previously lost to. The other wrestlers who are satisfied with decisions instead of bonus points have no blame in this team loss. 

9 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Wittcraft held his own better than I expected against Surtin.  A few exciting trip and toss attempts 

If you like it, you're in for a treat: he has no reliable, conventional leg attacks. And, yeah,  it IS exciting until you seen him do it over and over with little success. 

1 hour ago, Mhlm said:

Yes 0 offense. How in the world did he get the first takedown? 🙄 because as a #26 ranked he was expected - by all, to destroy the #11 ranked he previously lost to. The other wrestlers who are satisfied with decisions instead of bonus points have no blame in this team loss. 

He got the first TD in a scramble. Wittlake shot in, Hawks scored off a water fall postition. Obviously I didn’t except Hawks to destroy anyone. But I would think being down in the third he would’ve tried to at least attempt a shot. Unless you count the blast doubles from 4-5 ft away as attempts. He created no angles and was never close to scoring a TD on his own. 

I didn’t put blame on anyone specifically. Number of reason we lost, not just Hawks. Could spin a wheel with a number of reasons we lost. Bottom line, we didn’t win matches we should’ve and State did. They wrestled above expectations and Mizzou seemed okay with keeping it close. It happens. Gotta get back in the room and work on things. I expect several outcomes to be different come B12 tournament time. 

3 hours ago, Mhlm said:

Some of this is just bad reffing. They are actually counting to 5 - loudly, we can hear them, and then they just stop counting and still don’t give a stall call. Some stalemates are called in less than 3 seconds, some are going on and on - until time runs out.  Horrible. 

While true, consistency can be a problem in reffing, pretty sure B12 assigns refs just like does b10 and these two have been around awhile and are generally decent.

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

If you like it, you're in for a treat: he has no reliable, conventional leg attacks. And, yeah,  it IS exciting until you seen him do it over and over with little success. 

but he has thrown a lot of guys for 4 out of bounds 🙄

• Fire 1

Mizzou can't finish shots when they get in deep.  Jacques can't, Hart has a hard time finishing shots against decent guys, Hawks has no leg attacks, and Rocky (who should not have been ranked #1) had a hard time with it.

Edited by KCMO2

9 minutes ago, Cowboy08 said:

Cowboys look to finally be getting back to wrestling hard and tough.  It's been a while, today was a pleasure to watch 

125: How much longer is Mastro out? Will he be back before season is over? 

133: Fix seems to be a lock for 2nd place again

141: Carter Young has had some pretty good wins recently.  Mayne a R12 or R16 guy in this weight

149: Voinovich is pretty tough but needs more seasoning at this level.  At least one win at Nationals

157: Gfeller in his last season of eligibility looks like a good chance of AA

165: Sheets is settling into this weight class with a signature pin of Yant.  Expectations for Nationals are at least one win

174: Plott will be AA again

184: Wittlake is a tough wrestler but this weight class is deep with returning all Americans and I see him as a bloodround guy

197: Surber is another guy at a deep weight who I see as a likely R12 guy but would not be surprised to see him get 7th

285: Doucet is a NQ but a could be 0-2 there.  Maybe one win on the back side

I was going to comment right after the dual, but I've earned my grey hair and decided to use my 12 hour rule and think before typing.  "Knee jerking" can really be hard on an old mans knees.  Another nail biter loss for the Tigers, but give credit where it is do, Okie State was better, and it's always hard to win on the road when a team is defending their home mat.  I guess I ought to actually be happy this is a topic on a wrestling forum.  I've followed Tiger wrestling long enough to remember the days when Okie State would just "roll the Tigers up in the mats!"  To be able to be disappointed is actually a far cry better than the days of just accepting your "ass whooping."  As much as Mizzou's coach Smith has improved the program, and I for one are grateful, I ask the question, "Is that a product of recruiting, and how much of that is development as a result of the program?"  I guess this could be another thread topic for the forum, but how many of the current wrestlers in Mizzou's program came in as freshman and started and how much have they actually improved?  How much is their success linked to their previous high school prep, and or club affiliation, compared to their success/growth in the Tiger system?  Of course, this is my biased observation, but some of the Mizzou wrestlers have wrestled the same way from the day one and have not made the adjustments to beat the higher tier AA level wrestlers.  Is that a knock on the coaching staff, a result of HEW, all the above?  I'm sure this question is not exclusive to just the Mizzou program.  Is it coincidental that two of the highest scoring Tiger wrestlers are Askren proteges and command a higher selection of technical weapons vs tactical strategy?  I know you need a little of both and maybe I'm getting way off topic and should have waited another 12 hours before punching keys.

• Fire 2