How to recruit for 125

Listening to Spencers interview on flow, he speaks about how he feels 125 is too small of a weight for the modern day male. I think this was a general sentiment but especially in regards to the collegiate season. He mentions how he thinks it will get even worse in the coming years and attributes the roller coaster that is 125lbs to this. It made me wonder if you are a college coach are you looking to recruit and undersized guy who may not be quite as elite as say a guy who was making 126 his senior year of high school. An example of this that I thought of was Ayden smith. Ayden is great hes a 2x 1st place guy in PA and he wrestled 113 the entire year regardless of the 2lbs. Now is he Luke Lilledahl obviously not, but I think he will comfortably make 125 for 4 years. Lilledahl is a poor example because he could be an all timer given his trajectory but the point im trying to get at is do you want the guy thats not quite as good right now but could make 125 his junior and senior year or the guy who's good right now but may end up at 133 after a year or two and has to cut his ass off.

• Bob 2

There are those that believe we should have 118 for the same reasons  - seniors who are wrestling 106-120 (i.e. Ayden Smith).  

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

14 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

Listening to Spencers interview on flow, he speaks about how he feels 125 is too small of a weight for the modern day male. I think this was a general sentiment but especially in regards to the collegiate season. He mentions how he thinks it will get even worse in the coming years and attributes the roller coaster that is 125lbs to this. It made me wonder if you are a college coach are you looking to recruit and undersized guy who may not be quite as elite as say a guy who was making 126 his senior year of high school. An example of this that I thought of was Ayden smith. Ayden is great hes a 2x 1st place guy in PA and he wrestled 113 the entire year regardless of the 2lbs. Now is he Luke Lilledahl obviously not, but I think he will comfortably make 125 for 4 years. Lilledahl is a poor example because he could be an all timer given his trajectory but the point im trying to get at is do you want the guy thats not quite as good right now but could make 125 his junior and senior year or the guy who's good right now but may end up at 133 after a year or two and has to cut his ass off.

We have seen smaller guys struggle against big 125 pounders. Think of Kurt McHenry, Malik Heinselman, Zach Sanders, etc. Size is an advantage. Not an advantage that cannot be overcome, but an advantage nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Gus said:

We have seen smaller guys struggle against big 125 pounders. Think of Kurt McHenry, Malik Heinselman, Zach Sanders, etc. Size is an advantage. Not an advantage that cannot be overcome, but an advantage nonetheless. 

Never forget Malik has a win over a guy that pinned Gillman! I agree 100% I think in Kurt and Maliks case coming into college they were almost small for 50kg I guess I more so meant guys that are cutting a bit to make 113 or are comfortable at 120 and aren't really growing a ton more in terms of structure.

The lowest weight class will always have the issue of some being too small and others cutting their arse off, so I don't know that raising it would change anything.  It's probably the hardest weight to recruit for this reason, and you just don't know who's going to keep growing.

To answer the OP...I think 120 is the best weight to recruit for 125 if you want a guy there for a few years. It gives them a year to lift, get their diet regulated and most guys will naturally grow a little anyway.  There are some 126 that dont' cut any weight in high school unless it's a big tourney like Ironman, Fargo, etc. then you see them down at 120 or in some cases even 113. Spratley and Volk were 126 guys coming out of HS who didn't cut. When it's all said and done, I think it depends on if a kid has quit growing, body structure and also what kind of lifting/dieting they have already been doing. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

19 minutes ago, Idaho said:

When it's all said and done, I think it depends on if a kid has quit growing, body structure and also what kind of lifting/dieting they have already been doing. 

^^^ this ^^^ and you need to look at the genetics and parents.  I was still growing first two years of college and both my sons same thing.  However my great grandfather I have to use a Wkn chip and say I don't know on the growth quit age but my two sons as tall as him taller than me.